Citadel M1911 VS RUGER SR1911

Discussion in 'M1911' started by Tahunua001, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Tahunua001

Tahunua001 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    hello all.
    I have finally decided to give the 1911 platform a serious chance to enter my collection. I like Ruger as a company and the SR1911 is the most raved over piece I've seen since I became a handgun enthusiast. however I just came across the Citadel M1911 series pistol. they look alright to the uninitiated like myself and they have more options available than the SR1911 for similar MSRPs.
    I am much more partial to straight black over stainless but that isn't a real deal breaker for me. the slight differences in price that I've seen(about $50 up or down) are not enough to sway me one way or another.

so here we go:
    1. how is citadels reputation for quality?
    2.how is the fit/finish for the m1911?
    3. has anyone owned or at least shot a citadel M1911? what kind of lasting impression did they leave?
    4. how is their customer service compared to Ruger?
    5. if anyone has owned or shot both which would you recommend?

2. Mr. YACYAS

Mr. YACYAS XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure the Citadel 1911's are made by the same people who make the Rock Island 1911's. I haven't shot the Citadel but I have shot the Rock Island (same thing you could say). I can say that for the money the Rock Islands are a great value and subsequently so should be the Citadel. I would say that if you can get a American made Ruger 1911 for roughly the same price than go that direction.

3. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  4. Tahunua001

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    thanks for the link...nothing is listed about the citadel but if it is indeed manufactured armscor to the same specs as RIAs then the SR1911 would be a much better buy

5. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Citadel's are a decent low end 1911 and for what you par you will get an ok 1911. However, If you want the most bang for the buck with a great American made 1911 then the Ruger sr1911 is the way to go. Personally, I would buy the Ruger any day of the week before the Citadel. If you can find one, do yourself a favor and go American made.

6. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 4
    Ruger...no doubt about it.

- brickboy240

7. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for this link. It is packed full of great info.

8. Tahunua001

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I prefer to go with american companies but it's not really a deal breaker...I guess I tend to look at general qualitys
    if I want a good handgun I usually give springfield and ruger the most scrutiny and barely look anywhere else.
    if I want a bolt action I usually look at weatherby and reminton
    if I look at an AR I look at DPMS and RRA(because I'm too cheap to go with colt :D)
    if I want a lever action I look at marlin or winchester...
    what can say... I find a good bandwagon and try not to fall off :D

9. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RRA is definitely not a cheap AR and I would put mine against a Colt any day of the week :)

10. Tahunua001

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I would pit my DPMS against a colt any day as well but we're getting slightly off topic... proceed with the chlorophyll!

11. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0
    Shot both and the Ruger seemed to have a more crisp trigger and clean break. I was more accurate with the Ruger. The Citadel was average at best but the Ruger made me instantly fall in love. So much that I am on a mission to buy one as soon as I can find one.

12. mac6150

mac6150 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased a Citadel M1911 and found it to be a solid handgun. I mainly bought it due to the lower cost. I put after market parts on it, new sights (fiber optic), extended slide release and extended safety. I also had it dura coated and bought new grips. I fired around 100 rounds at the range the first time out and for the first two magazines the slide locked back after every round fired. At first I thought it was the magazine but the two magazines were from different companies. The more I fired it the less the malfunction occurred until finally it fired flawlessly.

I fired at a paper target 50 feet away and the first few magazines I was peppering the target in a two foot spread, not my best shooting by any means. I then noticed with each magazine the spread became smaller until the last two mags I could place 7 rounds within a grapefruit size area. A much more respectable feat for an economical gun. Overall its a good gun for the money but if you buy it I would recommend getting some decent sights. I do agree with one reviewer that buying American is best if you can afford the cost.