Choosing the right powder for 9mm 115gr

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Mike1388, May 13, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Mike1388

Mike1388 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to reloading and am looking for advice on how to select a powder. I'm loading 9mm 115gr LRN using Hodgdon Titegroup. According to their loading data (Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com), the load should range from 3.9 to 4.3 grs; I'm using the bottom of that range (3.9) figuring it was the safest place to start. I chose Titegroup only because that is what the guy selling powder at the gun show recommended (like I said, I'm new to this).

For the most part I've been successful. I've loaded and fired about 200 rounds and only 5 of them failed to fire (just "poofed"). I don't notice any significant difference between them and store-bought Winchester practice rounds in terms of recoil and accuracy. The only compliant I have is the residue - my reloads produce a lot of smoke from the barrel and residue on the gun and my hands. I don't know if the powder I'm using is just dirtier than others, or if I'm doing something wrong in the loading process.

Any advice/recommendations? I know that no powder is truly "clean" but I'm hoping some are cleaner than others and would like to find one.

2. May 13, 2012 #2
    Silver02ex

Silver02ex XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Titegroup is a love or hate powder. Some like it, and some hate it. Its what I use now along with Winchester 231 with good results. I hope you only bought one pound, that way you are not wasting much if you don't like it. I have to leave the brass in the tumbler a little longer when using Titegroup as oppose to the Winchester.

3. May 13, 2012 #3
    Lopper

Lopper XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Titegroup is not a dirty powder, and if you had poofs? I think you need to get another bottle of powder try PowerPistol good powder and clean for me. I do load thousands of 9mm with Titegroup every year and no problem. You may have a contaminated can of powder.

4. May 13, 2012 #4
    Rugby3

Rugby3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My current load for 115 FMJ's with Titegroup is 4.2 grs in my XDm9. I was also getting the residue when loading on the lower end of 3.9-4.0. Don't give up on Titegroup just yet it's a great powder. I'd also recommend Ramshot's True Blue, shoots great, clean, meters great and inexpensive.

5. May 13, 2012 #5
    scooterj

scooterj XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have had excellent with IMR SR-7625 and 115gr Ranier HP bullets. Clean burning and very consistent.

6. May 13, 2012 #6
    CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +743 / 7
    before tackling powder, maybe you should tell us how you are metering. I ask because 5 "poofs" in 200, 2.5% is a very high rate of failures. Maybe folks here can give advise if we know what you are doing.

ETA - I use unique for all my calibers

7. May 13, 2012 #7
    tinashubby

tinashubby XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd spend a little time trying to figure out the "poof"'.

I use bullseye for my .8 special wadcutters and love it.

Any have thoughts on weather Bullseye is any good for 9 mm 115gr. FMJ?

8. May 13, 2012 #8
    hotpig

hotpig XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I use WAP or 231 but mainly WAP since I have nine pounds of it.

9. May 13, 2012 #9
    Sunday

Sunday XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The lower ends usually smoke more and leave the outside of the case dirty. Check out the poofs as mentioned.

10. May 13, 2012 #10
    Mike1388

Mike1388 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 with a Lee Powder Precision kit. I tested the powder load in several casings, pulling them out of the press and measuring the powder, before loading any bullets. I would also pull about every 20th casing and measure the powder while I was loading, just to make sure the loads were consistent, which they were. However, I was careful to check every casing before putting a bullet in it and did find a few that were almost empty; the next several would be fine. I think the "poofs" were just those that I didn't catch before putting the bullet in. I don't know what would cause one casing to be almost empty with the one right after it was OK. I was also tapping the powder container frequently to make sure the powder wasn't clumping somehow.

Regarding using a load toward the higher end of the range - 4.2 as suggested above - does that constitute "+ P" loads? I've read that extensive use of +P loads can cause some damage to the gun.