Choosing the right powder for 9mm 115gr

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Mike1388, May 13, 2012.

1. Mike1388

Mike1388 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to reloading and am looking for advice on how to select a powder. I'm loading 9mm 115gr LRN using Hodgdon Titegroup. According to their loading data (Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com), the load should range from 3.9 to 4.3 grs; I'm using the bottom of that range (3.9) figuring it was the safest place to start. I chose Titegroup only because that is what the guy selling powder at the gun show recommended (like I said, I'm new to this).

For the most part I've been successful. I've loaded and fired about 200 rounds and only 5 of them failed to fire (just "poofed"). I don't notice any significant difference between them and store-bought Winchester practice rounds in terms of recoil and accuracy. The only compliant I have is the residue - my reloads produce a lot of smoke from the barrel and residue on the gun and my hands. I don't know if the powder I'm using is just dirtier than others, or if I'm doing something wrong in the loading process.

Any advice/recommendations? I know that no powder is truly "clean" but I'm hoping some are cleaner than others and would like to find one.

2. Silver02ex

Silver02ex XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Titegroup is a love or hate powder. Some like it, and some hate it. Its what I use now along with Winchester 231 with good results. I hope you only bought one pound, that way you are not wasting much if you don't like it. I have to leave the brass in the tumbler a little longer when using Titegroup as oppose to the Winchester.

3. Lopper

Lopper XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Titegroup is not a dirty powder, and if you had poofs? I think you need to get another bottle of powder try PowerPistol good powder and clean for me. I do load thousands of 9mm with Titegroup every year and no problem. You may have a contaminated can of powder.

4. Rugby3

Rugby3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My current load for 115 FMJ's with Titegroup is 4.2 grs in my XDm9. I was also getting the residue when loading on the lower end of 3.9-4.0. Don't give up on Titegroup just yet it's a great powder. I'd also recommend Ramshot's True Blue, shoots great, clean, meters great and inexpensive.

5. scooterj

scooterj XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have had excellent with IMR SR-7625 and 115gr Ranier HP bullets. Clean burning and very consistent.

6. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    before tackling powder, maybe you should tell us how you are metering. I ask because 5 "poofs" in 200, 2.5% is a very high rate of failures. Maybe folks here can give advise if we know what you are doing.

ETA - I use unique for all my calibers

7. tinashubby

tinashubby XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd spend a little time trying to figure out the "poof"'.

I use bullseye for my .8 special wadcutters and love it.

Any have thoughts on weather Bullseye is any good for 9 mm 115gr. FMJ?

8. hotpig

hotpig XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use WAP or 231 but mainly WAP since I have nine pounds of it.

9. Sunday

Sunday XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The lower ends usually smoke more and leave the outside of the case dirty. Check out the poofs as mentioned.

10. Mike1388

Mike1388 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 with a Lee Powder Precision kit. I tested the powder load in several casings, pulling them out of the press and measuring the powder, before loading any bullets. I would also pull about every 20th casing and measure the powder while I was loading, just to make sure the loads were consistent, which they were. However, I was careful to check every casing before putting a bullet in it and did find a few that were almost empty; the next several would be fine. I think the "poofs" were just those that I didn't catch before putting the bullet in. I don't know what would cause one casing to be almost empty with the one right after it was OK. I was also tapping the powder container frequently to make sure the powder wasn't clumping somehow.

Regarding using a load toward the higher end of the range - 4.2 as suggested above - does that constitute "+ P" loads? I've read that extensive use of +P loads can cause some damage to the gun.

11. Jack the Toad

Jack the Toad XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like Unique and Power Pistol .

12. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am another TG hater, just don't see the point. NEVER take powder recommendations from some gun show goof & gun shops are just as bad. Most don't reload or reload very little. IMO, put the TG on the shelf, get 1# of WSF or Unique or Universal or PP, start there. Broader load range & most have higher volume per wt, a big plus for noobs, you can actually see if the case has powder in it.:oops:
    How to choose powder? Look at your reloading manual. Look at the bullet you want to use & the vel you want to achieve. Choose a powder that gets you the vel level you want without hitting max. That is the best place to start. Uberfast powder like TG & faster, are best left for more exp reloaders IMO. Powder is the cheapest part of a pistol reload, choose for performance, not cost. The diff between TG & say WSF is about 1/3 of a penny per round!

13. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Mike, my question is what do you do when you get a "poof"? Do you just continue to shoot or do you stop and check your gun to see if the bullet made it out of the barrell? You could soon be getting a squib round stuck in the barrell and the next shot is going in cause injury to you and your gun. :shock:
    Before worrying about what kind of powder to use, worry about why you are getting low charges and what you need to do to correct this very dangerous result.

14. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Check your Lyman's #49 to see what powder they recommend. Do DO have a Lyman's #49, don't you??? FWIW, large flake powders often don't meter well in Lee delivery systems.

15. Mike1388

Mike1388 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To answer a couple of questions:
    When I get a "poof", I drop the magazine, open the chamber to eject the spent shell and check the barrel to make sure it's clear.

No, I don't have a Lyman's reloading manual. I have one for Hodgdon and one from Lee.