Choke for 3-gun

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by jonny4523, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm shooting in my first 3-gun match tomorrow and I'll be using my 870. My 870 has always been my trap/bird gun and I always use a full choke. But since I'll be shooting slugs, will a full choke still work? Is there going to be interference of any kind. I have other chokes. Suggestions?

2. ducks_n_bucks01

ducks_n_bucks01 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i dont shoot competitions, but i do shoot alot of shotguns. normally most guns shoot slugs best with a modified or improved cylinder. i would definately suggest you replace the full with something a little more open. usually there is no damage from shooting slugs through a full choke, but why take the chance.

3. mcb

mcb XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the shot stages I usually use Modified or Improved Modified. For slugs stages I use a skeet choke. Slugs usually shoot best through the more open chokes. IMHO a fixed cylinder bore shoots slugs the best. That said anything up to full will work safely with slugs although accuracy is likely to suffer the tighter you go.

mcb

4. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Can you change chokes during I match? I would think that would be illegal.

5. mcb

mcb XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will depend on who's rule set they are using. If they are using USPSA 3-gun or multi-gun rules then between stage changing choke tubes (assuming its done in a safety area) is perfectly legal. Some of the other rule systems might have rules against changing chokes but I have never heard of any specifically.

mcb

6. dolhasso

dolhasso XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For nearly every stage I use a cylinder choke. Unless a really heavy steel is set at 20 + yards, typlical handicap loads (either 7.5 or 8 ) will take care of it. Depending on your gun, you may want to change chokes for slug stages.

7. Steel1212

Steel1212 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Benelli M1 patterns so tight with the IC choke I've never changed it. Hell I wish I could get more spreed with closer clay targets sometimes. I would say for 95% of 3 gunning a IC or Mod will work fine. If you get into some serious 3 gun events you'll either want to change chokes or loads depending on how far steel is, what they do with clays, etc.