Changing stock sights from springfield xd

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by khmerwarrior, Sep 30, 2009.

1. khmerwarrior

khmerwarrior XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all, I was wondering has anyone had success changing their sites on their springfields themselves? I went to 3 local gunsmiths and none of them can do it. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I am trying to install some trijicon night sights on. Is my only option to send it in to springfield and let them do it?

2. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did mine... just had 2 brass punches and a vice and a towel... no big deal... Installed some dawson precisions

3. madwill

madwill XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the gunshop i go to changed the sites out. although, they did call me to ask if it would be ok to cut the old sites out as they are pressed in. i said yes, and, now i love my heinie straight eights

4. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +88 / 5
    You're lucky, seems most people only find out thier smiths can't change XD sights AFTER the smith mucks them up.
    I have changed mine but it takes a $100 tool from Midwest Gun Works ( I have a small arsenal of XDs so for ME it was worth it ) to do it properly.
    If I just had one or two XDs I would send it to SA or one of our fine XDTalk sponsors.

5. *Klutch*

*Klutch* XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did my own. Get a hammer and a brass punch and remove the stock set. If they don't come out use a dremel and slowlt cut them out, that's how I had to remove mine. Just some advice if your dremel is cordless charge it before or you will nick the slide. Now take a 6-8" mill file and some fine grit sandpaper slowly take off material from the Trijicons until they fit in about 1/3 of the way, don't go any further than 1/3 of the way cause they will be too loose then. But once it fits 1/3 in take the brass punch at the base of the sights at TAP them in. I sat tap cause only hit them as hard as you need to so they go in. On the front sight do not hit where the tritium is hit the base so it does not break cause it will. There are marks on the slide to where they should be so just get them between those marks and apply some red loc-tite all around the edges of the sights and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and then wipe off the excess. Let the loc-tite cure for 24 hours before firing the gun and go to the range to see if they are on target.

6. XD9Sub

XD9Sub XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would never trust any of my local gunsmiths to install XD sights, they just don't have the experience with removing/installing XD sights (it can be a royal pain, resulting in slide damage in some cases). For those who do it yourselves, I tip my cap to you!

I can highly recommend James at xd-hs2000 for installing sights. He's installed sights on 5 of mine, does an excellent job. If you buy the sights from him, he will install the sights for FREE, just send him your slide:D

7. XMM

XMM XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    +1 on James. He installed my TFOs and Duracoated my slide in an OD green. Very good work and the turnaround time was superb.

8. PSOH

PSOH XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot USPSA Limited and towards the end of each match my white dots are so dirty they are difficult to see on cloudy overcast days. I shoot winchester factory ammo, usually 100-120 rounds per match. The white dots get dirty fast. So, my question is, do night sights get dirty fast and does anyone shoot competition with night sights? If so, how are they?

9. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot limited too, I shoot dawson precisions with a target adjustable rear, and a Red fiber optic front... theyre 100 times better than stock...

10. FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

+1 except I installed TFOs

11. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Getting dirty is not a function of the sights, it's a function of the ammo. Most night would be even worse because of the size if the tritium dot, the exception are the TFOs and XS Big Dots. Another solution is to go with no dots at all like the Dawson sights or use a fiber optic front sight with no rear dots. The cheapest way is to carry a small bottle of Hopps #9 and some "Q-tips" and clean between stages.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  12. khmerwarrior

khmerwarrior XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks everyone who posted a reply, i ended up bringing it to the gunstore where i bought it from and they charged me 30 dollars to install the sights. They did a pretty good job and there wasnt any knicks or dings so im assuming they did it right. I love my new trijicon nightsights now, but if i had a chance to go back i would get TFO truglos, but hey cant go wrong with trijicons. Thanks once again everyone

13. amcalpine

amcalpine XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Throw the slide in the freezer for a couple of hours, I don't know if it makes a difference but it makes sense. The back you can get a sight vise for, but I couldn't find one that would fit the front. I put the slide in a tool vise with polyethylene grips and took a brass punch (and a lot of time), but it came out from left to right.

14. shaner

shaner XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    ive changes at least 5 sets of xd sights , all have come out with the spingpunches , in usually 4-6 taps with the punches , these spring loaded punches work ,

15. usmc guy

usmc guy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the TFO fiber front sight installed, loved it until it shot out the front fiber after about 200 rounds, send in and waiting to see if they replace it. In the mean while I put on a set of XS Big dot sights, and they are super fast for combat shooting, however the white dot fell out a around 75-80 rounds leaving only the tritium dot visible. Sent them an email to see if they will replace it. I have an XD sight pusher so it's easy to change the sights, however the XS Express and Big Dot sights cannot be installed with a sight pusher, you have to have a vice and drift the front in with a non-maring punch which is included with the sights. I'm guessing quality control is really bad with a lot of companies who are rushing to fill back orders.

Also it's a myth about not being able to shoot long distance with a big dot, shot about 30 rounds at 50 yards, best group I've had with any sight. Also played around with the 100 yard steel plates and you could hit them, the sight did not cover up the target at long range as some folks think.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010