Changing lock on gun safe

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by jamestx10, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jamestx10

jamestx10 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a liberty gun safe that I would like to convert to a digital lock and have two questions:

I had one locksmith / safe store employee tell me that it is very easy to physically swap the dial lock out for the digital lock. Has any one here done that?

Where can I get a digital lock? Most of my searching online has not ended with a place to buy the lock.

2. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +311 / 1
  3. DoubleA

DoubleA XDTalk 100 Member

Northern California (Land of the XDm Deprived)
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a Liberty safe, and went the opposite direction when I purchased it: had them swap the digital lock out and put an old fashioned dial lock in. Two reasons: 1) didn't want to rely on a battery operated device failing, in which case I can't get to my treasures for awhile 2) concern with burglars figuring out the combo based on fingerprints (yeah, I know, its an "out there" idea, but...)

Although I haven't checked recently, I do recall that Liberty sold the digital locks on their website. After watching the installers swap the locks, I'm not sure I would attempt it myself, at least not without some detailed instructions.

Good luck.