Chambering problems with Mod2

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by rman, Mar 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM.

1. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM #1
    rman

rman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My grandson recently bought a new Mod 2 9mm with 4" barrel. It shoots factory FMJ ammo and Hornady Critical Defense ammo quite well. We have several 9mm pistols around here. I loaded up some Winchester cases, CCI 500 primers and Sierra 125 gr JHP bullets. I checked every round with a Wilson case gauge and all passed. COL is 1.070". My HK VP9 and S&W Shield eat them like candy. They won't chamber in the XD for some reason They go almost all the way in and then stick. The brass is once-fired and is not over length and I've taper crimped each round. Any ideas?

2. Mar 19, 2017 at 7:01 PM #2
    agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    Sounds like the cases are not fully sized. How did you set the sizing die your press?

3. Mar 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM #3
    dglock

dglock XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +140 / 8
    XD pistols are known for having short chambers, seat the bullet a few thousands deeper until they chamber.

Don

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mar 20, 2017 at 8:46 PM #4
    rman

rman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess the problem is solved.

This had me stumped. The Sierra bullets look a little unusual. They have a long bearing surface and the business end is a truncated cone. The angle of the ogive is pretty sharp. While I had all the barrels out of the guns, I examined each one. It seems that the rifling on the XD barrel starts right at the ridge where the rounds headspace in the chamber. The other barrels have a slight amount of freebore. This morning I made up a dummy round and seated the bullet to 1.070" to match my loaded rounds. Of course, the dummy wouldn't chamber. I went in stages, shortening the overall length slightly, and rechecking. When I reached an overall length of 1.025", the round fully chambered.

It is kind of a strange phenomenon - one I hadn't seen before. It looks like the rounds will feed fine with the shorter overall length, but I think I'll save the Sierras for my other 9mm's and use Hornady XTP bullets in the XD. The XTP bullets have a longer ogive and will work fine with a longer COL in the XD. We've shot some Hornady Critical Defense ammo in the XD and they use XTP bullets. They have a COL of 1.060". I have 1,000 of the Sierras, but I can shoot them in my other pistols.

5. Mar 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM #5
    rman

rman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks dglock! Your info confirms what I suspected.