Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by Dirt Diver, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am relieved....pleased, yes pleased, for the most part with my new VZ-2008 by Century Arms. I got it from Classic Arms for $490, which BTW has an awsome deal on Yugo brass cased, lead bullet, mild corrosive primer, 7.62 x 39 ammo....at .22 cents a round. I bought 5k rounds in .50 cal metal ammo boxes. Way cheaper than the Wolf they also sell. It's a huge initial expense for me. But, I now have reloadable brass/lead bullet ammo for a long time to come, at least a year..;) I shot the ammo at my local indoor range and it really did not smell bad or make me stand out as shooting dirty commie surplus ammo. Although, I must say when I first opened the ammo can, the smell was very wierd....like something very old, if you get my meaning. They've also got Haji 223 brass ammo. Price seems not to bad, I think around .32 cents a round. Can't exactly remember.

I don't know, the VZ-2008 shoots real good, looks real good, feels real good and is svelt and light to handle and stow. I've already broken her down after a 60 meal with no FTF,FTE.

The finish is a matte grey with no shine. I like it and have no problems with it. The overall quality of the finish is about 8/10 to 9/10. The wire folding stock is excellent, yet needs a rubber pad to protect the side of the reciever, when folded. It locks open and folded. It has one HUGE machine screw fastening it to the reciever. I had zero comfort issues with maintaning a good cheak weld, when shooting the rifle. I don't know if the non-folding stock will work with this model. I was going to buy one from Czechpoint, but now am unsure about it.

The furniture is that wood flake polymer, whatever you call it material. The pistol grip is excellent, even for my large hands. I give it an A. The top and bottom foregrips are very slim and comfortable to hold.

Breakdown and reassembly is very easy and intuitive. The magazine fitment is a bit loose side-to-side and a tad looser then that up-and-down. An empty mag is quite wobbly. A full mag reduces that impression greatly. I don't think it's an issue for reliability. I'll report any change with that once I get an afternoon to put a few hundred rounds through it. I'm a left hand shooter and the mag release on the left side is perfect for me. I use my longer middle finger to actuate the release. The safety is easy for to select F for fire; but, I have a problem moving it back to S safety due to the tight action of the safety. No biggie. The mag release for me is a huge bonus.

Some negatives:

1. No manual/paperwork
    2. Slant break indexing notch is out of spec...maybe. What I mean is that the pin that locks into the muzzle break locks it at about 11 o'clock before the muzzle break is properly, symetrically, correctly positioned. I did edit this post and took out the comment about bad quality control, after I saw a YouTube video of a guy shooting his AK and his slant break was oriented the exact same way. I will be calling Century Arms to have this addressed.

This is a pretty sweet and unique gun. I would recommend it. I can't imagine how much better the Czechpoint will be. I may get both after I recover from this expense.

I have pictures. But nowhere to host. If anyone can host these, let me know and I'll email the pictures.

2. theboz

theboz XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    glad it is a perfect fit for you! post up pics!

3. xjedix

xjedix XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for the little write up, glad to hear you like it. I've been tossing around the idea of grabbing one one of those.

Just heads up, the muzzle brake at the 11 o'clock position is the way is it supposed to be, same thing on AK's.

D.

4. Mad Pick

Mad Pick XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Good report. I've always been interesting in buying one of those rifles . . . hmmmmm. :)

By the way, that Yugo ammo is Berdan-primed so you can't reload it unless you have Berdan primers and equipment (which you almost certainly do not) or you jump through some serious hoops.

It is great ammo at a great price, however. You made a good purchase.

5. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    You folks who are thinking of a purchase, remember that with Century, every one of their home-grown "projects" is a roll of the dice.

Glad you got a "good one", Dirt Diver.

6. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too bad about reloading that ammo. Learn something every day. Reloading was, however, not too high on my list, as I have not reloaded ammo for YEARS. I'm glad you mentioned it because I will cease to police the brass, after shooting. It was a fantastic deal. If I had another grand, I'd get 5k more...

Great news about the slant break. Being a lefty shooter, by decuduction, I am thinking the orientation of the break needs to go from a break centerline of 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Does that make any sense. I am only guessing that the oriention is to mitigate trigger pull to the right for a right hand shooter.

7. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    It's got nothing to do with lefty or righty.

In fact, on the Vz58, it's got nothing to do with anything, as none were ever issued with a slant brake (they don't fly up under full auto conditions like the AK does)

This is just Century throwing any ol' sh** on . . .

8. WaXD

WaXD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I just purchased a VZ kit and receiver, going to build a beauty as soon as I get the parts in. I look forward to puttin some lead through it.

9. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a quick update on the VZ. That massive machine screw that attaches the wire stock to the reciever needed locktite. It just kept unwinding after shooting. Have put about 200 rounds through it and it's great.

On a great note, I found an excellent product to put on the metal shoulder pad that now fully protects the reciever from getting whacked when folding the stock. It's called Plasti Dip. It's that stuff you dip you tool handles in to put that rubbery grip on them. I bought both the spray and the dip. I used the spray on the wire stock shoulder pad and put four coats on it. Perfect. Now I can close the stock and not worry about damaging the reciever. You can get it at Home Depot in the paint section for $7 bucks.

10. dogwalker3110

dogwalker3110 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought a vz2008. Haven't shot it yet but love it already, Love the swing arm stock.

Attached Files:

11. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yea, but they are usaully cheaper to get. I knew this going in on my Century WASR 10/63 UF. And thanks to threads like these. With guys who know there AK's. I knew what to look for before I purchased it.

They are beater AK's that's for sure. No question there. But can be good guns if you get a good one.

My next one will be a better build.

12. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Ya know, I keep saying this and saying this.

I'll use a big font this time:

Century does not build the WASR. It is entirely manufactured in Romania. Century only imports them and adds 922r parts.

The "home grown "projects"" I refer to are the AKs they build from cut up parts kits here in the USA, with substandard US parts (like barrels and receivers).

13. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heh, well I guess out of all the GD threads I've read I must have missed that one. ;) But thanks for clearing that up for a noob to AK's. :rolleyes:

14. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Glad to hear you got a good Century VZ.

I have been tempted many times by Century's low prices and interesting rifles like their VZs and the Golani but the horror stories have kept me away.

I have handled one of the Czechpoint VZs and it was REALLY nice. Ditto for the CZ versions that were sold in Academy stores. Both are alot more pricey than the Century VZ.

- brickboy240

15. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Any pics please?