CCW Range Qualifications

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by aphexafx, Aug 7, 2007.

1. aphexafx

aphexafx XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just wondering if some of you CCW holders who took CCW classes prior to obtaining your permit would relate the specifics of your range qualifications. :eek:

Target size, distance, required hits, number of try's, caliber you used, etc.

Cheers!

2. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In Florida, you had to demonstrate that you knew which end of the gun the bullet exits.

IIRC (been a while), we took five shots down range with each hand (single handed) and five shots with a two hand hold. Don't believe it was necessary to hit the target (which was maybe 3 yards away). Any gun, any caliber....a borrowed gun is fine.

Peace,
    D.

3. MasLakas

MasLakas XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Utah permit. Shooting was done at 7 yards at a bullseye target that measured about 12x10 inches. Required to place 25 rounds on the paper. If you got 5 holes in the two inch bullseye, you could stop. No limit on how many shots you could take as long as you ended up with 25 in the end.

The sad thing was some people showed up for the class with a brand new gun they had never shot (this was the FIRST TIME some had even fired a gun) and they just kept shooting until they had met the requirement! I am sure that some of these people are now packing and the shooting we did that night was the last, and for some ONLY, time they have fired their firearm.

4. Tard

Tard XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hey, at least they have FIRED these guns.

I've seen people strap on a brand new gun and walk around having never fired it. Growing up, my friends dad bought a handgun and all he did was practice pulling it out in the mirror, never fired it ONCE.

I Pity The Fool!

5. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    In Ohio, you only need to "prove proficiency"

Every instructer leaves that up to thei own inturpretation

6. THE SCARECROW

THE SCARECROW XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well I just took my CCW Class on Sunday.. I got 100% on the written test, and 100% and best in class on the range out of 40 people. My father and I were the only people there with the XD....We both used the XD 9mm Subcompact( I had my XML light on mine while shooting. We had to fire a total of 48 rounds, 6 rounds then a reload, 6 rounds then a reload, & so on.(You get it!). 18 rounds @ 10'-----18 rounds @ 20'------12 rounds @ 30' The ONLY requirement was you hit 33 rounds out of 48 rounds anywhere on the black outline of the silhouette.(The actual body). MOST PEOPLE just aimed DEAD CENTER. I Dome some HEAD SHOTS. Made a little SMILIE FACE:D.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46613

7. kickaha

kickaha XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kansas- TQ-15 target, 5 rounds one handed at 3 yards, 10 rounds freestyle at 7 yards, 10 rounds freestyle at 10 yards. Must have 20 of 25 within the larger of the two scoring rectangles. Any caliber allowed. I used my XD9SC.

8. zac07

zac07 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Range Qualifications for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Texas</st1:state></st1:place> <st1:stockticker w:st="on">CHL</st1:stockticker>
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]A total of 50 rounds are fired during the course of the qualification test. A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass. The target used is a TX-PT which is a human-shaped silhouette target measuring 45 by 24 inches. All shooting is from the ready position, which means the gun is already in your hands and aimed in. No holster shooting or shooting from concealed is required.

[/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Course of Fire:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]3 yard line - 20 shots:

1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots in 10 seconds, once

7 yard line - 20 shots:

5 shots in 10 seconds, once
    1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 4 seconds, once
    3 shots in 6 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once

15 yard line - 10 shots:

2 shots in 6 seconds, once
    3 shots in 9 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once
    [/FONT]

9. IHasanXD

IHasanXD XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TX 50 shots, Silouette target, all shots need to be in the 8, 9, 0 ring. 7 ring still counts but not for full points. Off the silouette doesn't count.

10. zac07

zac07 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My sister is thinking of getting her CHL, she is small like 5'0" and the only pistol I have is a 40cal service should I just get a 9mm conversion barrel or should she get something smaller like a .380 ? Any recommendations would help

11. wot_racing

wot_racing XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In kentucky, we used the same target pictured above, at 7 yards.. You have to get 11 out of 20 shots anywhere on the target.. You get two tries, but can practice as many times as you want..

12. aphexafx

aphexafx XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm...an interesting range of qualificaions...

It sounds like some states have mandated qualification specifications, and some let the instructor decide, and some don't require qualification at all, which I agree, is slightly disturbing...

13. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0

But, it is a 12 hour class.

14. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    AZ's process is pretty straightforward. Range time uses a standard TQ-15 target....

[​IMG]
    ....5 shots at 5 yards and 5 shots at 10 yards. As long as a total of 7 out of 10 are within the larger rectangle you pass. No time limit, and you can retry if you don't make it the first time, but the people in my class were sufficiently familiar with their firearms that nobody had any trouble.

The whole class is eight hours, covering the laws concerning CCW in Arizona and discussing shoot/no-shoot scenarios. The final test was 20 questions, and was taken as a "committee"; we took turns reading each question out loud and deciding as a class what the correct answer was.

It was a great experience; our instructor is a current LEO, so he brought a "street" perspective to the whole thing and there were "no stupid questions"--if you're curious about something, ask. The Mrs. and I got our permits about 8 days later.

15. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Our best friends just called us and asked if they could borrow a gun to take the CCW class this saturday. They only have to fire 15 rounds each for the entire course. neither of them have even fired a handgun before. I guess im going to the range thursday to teach them how to shoot. I will also be bringing one less gun to the XD shoot on saturday. im going to loan them the XD9.