CCW in Colorado Process?

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by gart, Mar 5, 2012.

1. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just recently applied for my CCW with Adams county Colorado. The lady was very nice and told my wife and I it would be about 80 days. Okay that is fine. I can be patient, but I was wondering if anyone knows the actual process that they take after you submit the application. Also what is the difference between the BC when you buy a gun, and the CCW BC? Last thing is if anyone has dealt with Adams county in the past, or are currently dealing with them, what was your experience like? how long did it take for you?

2. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry I put it in the wrong place. Please move

3. driver

driver XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I can't say about Adams Co. but Jefferson was just about the full 90 days. As far as the BC, my FFL said he's seen people get their CCW and then be denied a purchase. Not sure how or why, but if you passed the BC for purchase the CCW shouldn't be a problem. Are you aware that you may carry in your vehicle legally without a CCW or in your case until you get it?

4. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    And this has what to do with getting a CCW in Colorado?

5. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    It really depends on your county as to length of time in takes. The Front Range counties, like Adams, take a lot longer than the more rural counties, like mine (Logan). My first one took about 20 days. My last renewal, also about 20 days.

There are basically two reasons for that. 1. Heavier demand, due to larger populations in the Front Range counties. 2. More left leaning democrat Sheriffs along the Front Range, who don't want anybody to have guns. Thus, they slow the process (imho, just to mess with you).

Be aware that the County Sheriff MUST issue a Conceal Carry Weapons Permit within 90 days. If the 90 day time period expires, and the background check has not been completed, or some other bureaucratic snafu is being blamed, then the CCW permit MUST be issued anyway!

If the background check eventually comes back with negative information that would preclude issuing a CCW, then it can always be revoked.

I got mine about eight years ago. The Front Range Sheriffs, in the Denver area particularly, were being real dicks about the whole thing. Making people wait for months and months (way longer than 90 days). They've been taken to court enough times by now, that they don't do that anymore, but they still draw the wait time out as long as possible.

6. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you and Yes, I do know i can legally carry in my car. I do everyday.:rolleyes:

7. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information. I see it as an abuse of power to make us wait so long. Especially, sense we should not have to be licensed anyway!!

8. GerryM

GerryM XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The renewal process, at least here in Larimer county is good... think might took 2 or 3 weeks..

9. t8er

t8er XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live in Lone Tree in Douglas County. 3 weeks was all it took and from what I understand they look at residency for 5 years so they had to check a couple different states for me. Either way its better than New York. I had two applications in. The first one expired by time waiting for a Judge.

10. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They asked for 10 years in Adams. Is it different in Douglas?

11. CUatTheEnd

CUatTheEnd XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Larimer County took 57 days from the time I submitted. Not too bad. Denver counties probably take a bit longer? Renewals are much quicker.

12. jcj81

jcj81 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boulder county took 90 days when i got mine they were very nice, called set appt. to come in, went in got prints and picture, walked out with ID about 20mins later.

13. Radio Relay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Of course, Boulder would take the entire 90 days ... but good to hear that they're nice about it ...

14. gart

gart XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know its pretty much a dead thread, but just in case anyone was interested. I got the call from Denise today. She said it would be sent out this week! Its been a long wait but 68 days is not to bad. I think the wife and I are gonna make a trip to the range to celibrate.

15. Radio Relay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Cool! Congratulations.

That's interesting that Adams County sends them out. Here in Logan County, you have to go to the Sheriff's office and pick it up.