CCW Holders Kill 7 Cops and 44 Others...

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by LiberalGunOwner, Jul 20, 2009.

1. LiberalGunOwner

LiberalGunOwner XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Take a look at this:

Nashville - Nashville Scene - Pith in the Wind - Gun Permit Holders Have Killed Seven Cops, 44 Others in Only the Past Two Years

The study comes from this lobbying group: Violence Policy Center

They claim that 7 police officers and 44 citizens have been killed by CCW permit holders in the last 2 years.

Here is a copy of the actual study: http://vpc.org/studies/ccw2009.pdf

Most of you know that I am no fan of the NRA. I am curious as to how they will handle this.

What do you think?

2. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    umm I would think those stories would be all over the news unless the cop needed to be shot. I've never read one. So I'm thinking dirty cops, robbing or raping someone until I see evidence otherwise.

7 cops, and they claim from news articles, I want to read 7 articles. I also want to see said police officers tox results.

This comes from someone that has watched police innapropriately frisk hot girls in traffic stops, take a cash draw out of my place of employment, and "not see" someone being robbed 30 yards from them due to not wanting a physical confrontation taht could cost them their jobs.

And from seeing them repeatedly hit pedestrians on my college campus. Each time going 2 times the speed limit for no reason with no flashers at night.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  3. ID_ford_boy

ID_ford_boy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I can vouch for the one in Idaho. Moscow is my home town I actually heard the gun fire. That rocked our little town and that was national news. My grandparents in S. Illinois heard of it on CNN.

4. LiberalGunOwner

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Do you think the NRA will handle the issue in a similar way?

5. yocan

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
  6. LiberalGunOwner

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The souces for the study are located at the end of each individual they profile.

Look At the end of this one:

Concealed Handgun Permit Holder​
    : Richard Poplawski

Date​
    : April 4, 2009

Total Killed​
    : 3

Total Wounded​
    : 1

Law Enforcement Officers Killed​
    : 3

Law Enforcement Officers Wounded​
    : 1

Circumstances​
    : On April 4, 2009, white supremacist Richard Poplawski allegedly shot and
    killed police officers Stephen Mayhle, Paul Sciullo, and Eric Kelly while injuring another.
    Poplawski used an AK-47 assault rifle and a pistol in the attack. He had a concealed
    handgun permit despite a former girlfriend having obtained a protection-from-abuse order
    against him. Poplawski’s mother told police that he had been “stockpiling guns and
    ammunition…because he believed that as a result of the economic collapse, the police were
    no longer able to protect society.” She additionally stated that “her son ‘only liked police
    when they were not curtailing his constitutional rights, which he was determined to
    protect.’”
    Poplawski was charged with three counts of criminal homicide and one count of aggravated
    assault. He has pled not guilty. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Source: “Poplawski bought guns through shop in Wilkinsburg,”
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 7, 2009; “Who
    is Richard Poplawski? Friends, Family Talk About Pittsburgh Suspect in Police Officers’ Triple-Killing,”

ThePittsburghChannel.com, April 6, 2009; “Pittsburgh police shooting arraigned by computer,” Associated

7. Pips

Pips XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My question is so what? There are teachers that molest children. Should we ban anyone from being a teacher?

8. ID_ford_boy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    agreed.. and percentage wise this has got to be a small sect...

Just a anti's scare tactic to frighten the [​IMG]

9. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    so how many people were shot by non CHL over the same 2 years. Then we can get non CHL population and CHL population, guess who is still far more law abiding

:rolleyes:

10. ID_ford_boy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll take the CHL population for $1000, Alex

11. trik396

trik396 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    How many cops have killed wrongfully?

How many cops have kicked in the door to the wrong house.

How many cops have shot OTHER cops? (I know of one murder/suicide in Chicago)

The list can go on and on....

12. yocan

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    How many people that would have killed someone were killed by ccw holders, that the net lives saved or lost question.

He used an AK47, I don't think the CCW allowed for anything, it would have happened irregardless. He had a rifle, the CCW didn't allow for these circumstances to occur, so its existence has nothing to do with the shooting. Basically that he was a ccw holder is erroneous entirely.

13. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I read through that entire thing (yes I'm bored and have nothing better to do than read propaganda), curious about the nature of the offenses they'd listed. Quite a few were cases where the person shot in self-defense but were charged for it, including a couple of those where police officers were killed. A lot of the people in that study who had CCL's shouldn't have been issued one or should have had it revoked. Very few of the shootings had anything directly to do with the person having a CCL; that is, the shooting wouldn't have happened if the person hadn't been issued a license - but who's to say they wouldn't have been carrying a weapon (illegally) anyway?

Whatever the folks who wrote this were trying to prove, they failed. It's a miniscule percentage of the number of shootings in this country and there doesn't seem to be any common thread linking all of the incidents other than the shooter had a CCL. I doubt that matters though; anyone who already has their mind made up that "guns are evil" doesn't need to read or understand the headline, and I doubt that anyone on this forum is going to give it much attention at all.

14. yocan

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Way to post a complete BS article. I just read through and it had references to the crime in Mexico attributed to guns from the US if you actually read the ATF findings and do the math roughly 13% +/- 2% are from the USA. And thats guns, I can pretty [much guarantee the grenades aren't from the USA, nor are the rpgs. And even then a large portion of those were from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT in issues M16s given to the military, in the thousands of soldiers that go UA over there more than half took their weapons with them.

When I read their links and sources, its complete crap. Congrats on posting pure BS, its lower quality than the crap the NRA posts. (saying that states with CCW have a lower crime rate proves CCW is a good thing is BS, it should be rate of change in crime rate in states that do and states that don't, but those numbers aren't as dramatic so they don't post them)

15. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    all right i did some calcs using FBI data:
    Table 20 - Crime in the United States 2007

2007 Firearm specific murders: 10086 (do the sum of the firearms column in the above table)
    only 2008 prelim numbers are out but they stated a 4.4% decline in murders so you can estimate 2008 Firearm specific murders as: 10086*.956 = 9642.22 firearm murders
    4.4% decline is stated in Table 3: Download Spreadsheets

Since study was done from May 07 to April 09 use half of 07s murders + all of 08s + estimate half of 09 using half of 08s murders:
    5043 + 9643 + 4821 = 18907 for all firearm murders

so the total of CHL murders in May 07 to April 09 stated in the study divided by all firearm murders in the same timeframe:
    51/18907 = .002697% of all firearm murders were CHL