CCW and your work

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by Tally XD, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Since I bought my handgun for CCW in the near future, I am faced with some dillemmas about actually carrying it.

My work takes me to places that would place me in more danger than I am in at home. However, I am not certain of the policy my workplace has for carrying weapons while on the job. There isnt anything in the company handbook regarding this and, knowing my boss pretty well, I am afraid to bring up this subject. . . period. Once I ask, he will always suspect.

My job takes me into peoples homes also. This is another area of concern.

Still, I bought the gun for protection. My city isnt the worst in the USA, but our crime rate is rising and I do certainly go into areas where the danger is higher than other areas. Lots of college students here and a lot of drug use and traffic.

What do some of you do in this situation? Did you also have these concerns when you first started carrying?

If you decided to carry anyway, regardless of company policy, what means or method worked best for you?

This is a decision I need to make without hurry and with a lot of thought.

2. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If there is no company policy on this issue I don't see a problem with carrying. Now as for entering other folks houses me being me would let them know that I am armed if it makes them uncomftrable I will disarm or leave if they wish me to do so. Telling them your not coming in really isn't an option if this is your job.

Another option would be to carry concealed and not worry about it. You will find that 99% of people will never notice even if they bump into you on accident.

Hell I Open Carry a lot here in NC and most people don't even notice the 2lb. hunk of steel and polymer hanging off of my right hip.

3. jeff221

jeff221 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm an I.T. Consultant and run into this daily at work. It's simple, don't ask, don't tell... If someone notices and askes you NOT to carry in there home/work place, then do as your asked. It's that simple.

It's called CONCEALED carry for a reason. Keep it concealed and you don't have a problem.

4. jtkratzer

jtkratzer XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    tally, what line of work are you in? i also am in a position where i frequently see people in their homes. I'm going to apply for my permit this week and i was wondering about the same thing. i was thinking about just leaving it in the car. the people i see aren't dangerous, but there are times when they live in rough areas.

5. adambrock

adambrock XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure I'd tell people I was carrying, I guess it depends on the kind of work you're doing. Unless they're likely to see it (or feel it), I wouldn't tell them.

I work for a university, so I can't legally carry at work.

What sort of dress is required for your job? Can you get away with an untucked shirt?

\\ACB

6. empd3269

empd3269 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Theory Is Out Of Sight Out Of Mind. If Theres No Policy For It Dont Bring It Up. I Wouldnt Recomend Leaving It In The Car.....even Grandma Could Be Dangerous!

7. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I wont say exactly what I do because I dont want to totally identify myself here (just being paranoid right now) but I am in service work. I do a service for the public and commercial accounts that require me to enter homes and offices on a very regular basis.

I wear the typical service work uniform, i.e. white button up shirt, green poly pants.

I also have to wear a utility belt with some of my "professions" tools/equipment attached. Belt carry is out of the question and probably so is tucking. Shirt has to stay tucked.

Summer is my real problem as it is very hot here in Florida, but winter is ok. I can wear a light jacket if its cool enough during our two months of cooler weather. Shoulder harness should work ok during those months.

I am probably looking at ankle/leg holster as my only option while on work duty.

Its not the people I see at work or in homes that worry me, but the thugs on the street in some of the areas I go into.

8. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Do not tell anybody!!

Do not "discuss" it with anybody who might get back to your work.

Make sure of your legal rights!

In most states, if you have a CCW, you can carry "legally" at work, but you can also be "legally" fired if you violate your company policies concerning firearms. I.E. Even though you may not go to jail for being armed at work, you may lose your job.

It's a trade off. Is it worth your job?

9. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    he says there are NO policies on the books about carrying so they would have a hard time trying to stick this to him.

10. darkvibe

darkvibe XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know the law in FL but here in NY state it is illegal to bring a gun into a private residence without the permission of the homeowner. Might want to look into your laws for that.

And as already stated DON'T bring it up. Just stick to what is written in the company's handbook. If it's not addressed in there, consider it within policy and keep it to yourself.

edit: if you do a lot of bending down and stuff on the job you might want to look into something small to carry. My Keltec P3at hides easily and still gives me .380 stopping power if i ever need to use it. Not exactly the biggest hole you can make in a bad guy but better than nothing.

11. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Where firearms are concerned, even if there is no specific company policy, carrying at work would most likely get your ass fired. I doubt you'd have much of a leg to stand on, if that happened. Whether it's specifcally stated, or not.

12. BBunin

BBunin XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't ask. Don't Tell.

And find a way to carry 100% concealed.
    What they never know about, they can't object to.

13. beakersloco

beakersloco XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think it better to not mention it. Once you mention it ... more then likely a policy will be written that wont allow you to carry.

At least if something happens and they try to fire you for carrying on the job you can state that thier was no policy in exisitance and therefore either allowing you to keep your job or at the very least you can get unemployment to help you while you hunt for a new job.

14. Mike G

Mike G XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like ankle carry might be your best option for carrying while on the job. You might consider a S&W 642 J-Frame in a Galco or Hume ankle holster, or some other variation that would be similar to this one. This is a very good set-up for carrying concealed when other options cannot be considered. At the very least, this option is better than carrying nothing at all.

15. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Im not supposed to carry either but I go into some pretty high crime areas at times, either stopping to look at a job or passing through. I carry my wifes Kel-Tec since she works in healthcare and is absolutely banned from carrying. The gun is tiny and very easily concealed. I would rather loose a contract, have my boss scold me or be fired than need a gun and not have it. If its small and very well concealed, then its not going to be an issue. My boss knows im pro gun, knows I have a CCW and probably suspects that I carry but he doesnt ask and I dont tell.