Catastrophic Garand Failure!

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by gunzor, Dec 4, 2008.

1. gunzor

gunzor XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  2. Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    Wow! That SUCKS!

3. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    At least the guy is ok though.

4. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Idiot.

What more can you say.

5. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    +1!!!!

First, for shooting unknown reloads (Lord knows what the final results on testing that ammo will be...excessive powder charge, wrong powder, etc.). Second, for trying to shoot "commercially manufactured" ammo out of a Garand. Third, for not having done his due diligence on the rifle he just bought before promptly blowing it up!!

Shame to loose such a fine rifle to such a stupid mistake.

6. stainone

stainone XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    a guy at a local shoot was shootn a 1911 with re loads blew the mag out the bottom busted the gips cut up his hand and a piece hit him above eye,he thinks he might have double charge that round!!!as high as ammo has gotten i don't think i want to reload my own.i try to buy guns i can afford to shoot alot sks 1000k was 75-85.00 now 200.00,223 a 1k case was 185.00 now 425-450.00 even 9mm i have 3 of them xd4,tac.xd5in.,and the new 9mm xd(M) that i love 115-120.00 for 1k now 200.00 makes you want to reload thats for sure!:cool:

7. thisismyusername

thisismyusername XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    This is why I will never use reloads.

8. Carnivorous

Carnivorous XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    +1/2... I spent too much money on my guns to F them up over a small difference in per-round price. If I was really going for accuracy and fine-tuning performance, that'd be a different story, and I'd reload, so that's why the 1/2. But I'd NEVER buy a commercial reload, or the evilest of evils, a reload from Bubba at the gun show.

9. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is nothing wrong with reloads as long as you: 1) know that the hell you are doing; 2) care what the hell you are doing; 3) pay close attention to what you are doing; and 4) do your homework before you start doing anything!! I only shoot MY reloads except on rare occassions when I know and trust the person who is handing me their reloads (those amount to two people...my Dad who "teached" me how to reload and my best friend who has been reloading longer than I have).

I have been reloading for about 20 years or so now and I reload for my Garand all the time. Most of my loads I equal, but never exceed, military ball ammo specs. However, I also reload 168gr SMK's for my Garand that shoot great. It can be done....just must be done carefully. Also, for Garand shooters wanting to shoot commercial loads, there are some great products like the Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug that allows you to safely shoot heavy, match, commercial (168 and 175gr) loads through a Garand by regulating the gas system.

10. VFRpilotJim

VFRpilotJim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Reloads are fine under the following circumstances:
    You shoot your reloads and I'll shoot my reloads!.

11. cdknox

cdknox XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is commercially manufactured ammo, and why can't it be shot out of a Garand? What kind of ammo are you supposed to shoot? I was thinking of buying a Garand, but not sure what ammo I would use. (I would never use reloads, probably just cheap Federal ammo)

12. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +454 / 5
    I was shocked...until I read the word "reloads".

Everyone LOVES to crow on about how much I wil lsave if I reload and I know that k-booms CAN hapen with factory ammo. However...everytime I see photos like this of a Glock, boltgun, wheelie or whatever...9 times out of 10 is was done with reloaded ammo. Theirs or someone elses.

I also had a squib load with someone elses reloads in my Smith Mod.10. Luckily, the wadcutter stuck in the barrel and all I had to do was knock it out with a punch.

I have run some commercial ammo in my Garand, but it has all been 150grain stuff that was close to the original M2 ball in velocity. Most of the ammo I run in my Garand is M2 or commercial Federal 06 that is a dead wringer for M2 ball. I also run lots of Korean and CMP bought M2 through the M-1 and have had no troulbes at all.

I have also heard of Garands having problems with certain hunting loads in bullet weights over 165 grains or those Light Magnums. Again...the Garand was NOT designed for pressures like that or bullets that heavy.

Stick with ammo in the weight/velocity of the original M2 ball or use some form of surplus M2 ball and you'll probably never see that happen.

Like someone else said in the other forum...do your reaserch BEFORE you use a particular surplus rifle. Specialty hunting rounds, light magnums and overly heavy bullet weights can and will play hell with a rifle's function.

I have also seen people at the range, running Hornady Light Magnum 303 British through their WWI SMLEs or Light Mag 6.5x55mm through 80 year old Swede Mausers...again...you're playing with snakes if you do this!

- brickboy240

13. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "Commercial ammo" in and of itself is not usually the problem. The problem comes from morons like this guy thinking that because he shoots 165gr or 180gr loads out of his bolt action or pump action deer rifle that they are okay to shoot in an M1 Garand (even a new production SA). The problem is the pressure of many commercial ammos well exceeds the specs for the Garand. Also, and perhaps just as importantly...the M1 was designed with a gas system for the powders available 70+ years years ago, with gas-producing characteristics that are quite different from most current production powders. Hodgdon and Accurate Powder companies both make it a point to mention the fact that H4895 & AA2520 are acceptable to use in loading for the Garand, but specifically refuse to make the same claim for their other rifle powders. It is a simple matter of the gas production/burning rates not being right for the M1.

As commercial ammo manufacturers don't mention the type of powder they use, using commercial ammo is a crap shoot that may get the crap shot out of you. The protection provided by an adjustable gas plug ($30 part) that would vent excess pressure in the gas cylinder and protect the op rod and the rest of the rifle is well worth the cost compared to blowing up a good rifle. With the adjustable plug installed, commercial ammo isn't as big a problem and you should be able to shoot any SAAMI spec ammo out of a Garand, but you still have to be careful as the Schuster is adjustable and depending on how it is adjusted for one commercial ammo might not match up to another.

14. slipey76

slipey76 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    So I know that the rifle is 30-06 and you have to use a certain round but what is the difference between a normal factory 30-06 round and the required ammunition. I am glad I seen this because a buddy of mine just picked one up and plans on shooting it this weekend so I would like to get the correct information before he does the same thing.

15. vafish

vafish XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

That is why I will never shoot anyone else's reloads.