Casting Lead Bullets for an XDm 9mm?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Errokk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Errokk

Errokk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do any of you cast your own or reload plain lead bullets for your XDm? With what results? Any issues with leading? I'm thinking of going that route but wanted some "Heads Ups" if at all possible?
    Thanks again guys, Eric

2. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    I don't cast my own, I buy them from Missouri Bullet Co. and a casting Co. here in Texas that make the same bullet. I mostly use the 200 gr. SWC in .45 ACP and diameter is pretty consistent and .001" over bore size. I'm using a bullet that's harder than necessary at 18 Brinell and I don't have any leading issues. Missouri Bullet also casts a 12 Brinell version of this bullet and at .45 ACP velocity I've never heard anyone complain about leading as long as their bullet was at least .001" above bore diameter. A lot of leading issues come from undersized bullet/seal issues. ;)

3. mirage2521

mirage2521 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ask people who know casting

Castboolits.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I cast for my XD 9mm and .40. No leading issues. 9mm lead tc 124gr lee mold. I just cast 800 bullets on Sat was going to do some on Sun but got busy doing other things.

5. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    Errokk, since your title says 9mm, I'd recommend the Missouri Bullets at 18 Brinell. That's more than hard enough for 9mm velocities. Do you know how to slug your bore? If you have a soft lead bullet, or can get one, you could verify the actual bore diameter of your pistol. If I were loading cast lead in 9mm, I think I'd use the 147 gr. and loading subsonic the 12 Brinell bullet is hard enough but you need the bullet to be .001" greater than bore diameter. Nothing wrong with 124/125s though and since you're likely to load them for higher velocity the 18 Brinell bullets will work fine. Also, while you're at the Missouri Bullet Co. website, go to the technical page, There's a lot of good info there and it explains things like matching hardness to cartridge pressure, etc. ;)

6. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    There is an article which included a formula which I once had that I got from the "Cast Boolits" site which had a pretty complete reason for leading in barrels as related to sizing and bullet hardness. Too hard a bullet seemed to be just as egregious vis a vis leading as too soft (relative to velocity) because of factors explained by the formula.

I will have to read the one referred to by 57K from the Missouri Bullets site to see, but since he bothered to post his reference and he is not prone to give information that is not useful, I'm sure it will cover some of the technicalities involved. Knowledge is a beautiful thing!

Be that as it may, I have never bought a cast bullet that did not perform as specified if it was the correct diameter for the caliber. The size of the bullet will be most important as far as leading goes if the bullet is not "dead soft" lead. If you cast your own, there should be at least some antimony and tin involved. Depending on the source, a lot of previously cast lead has at least some of those ingredients, and indeed, when lead is mined it often contains a significant amount of tin some of which is removed.

7. M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    I've been using the 147 grain bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. and they are working great in my XDm 9MM's. The 5.25" and the 3.8" both have been 100% reliable with these heavy bullets. I can't tell you what the velocity is though. I've been using AA#5 powder so far. I just bought another 1000 bullets awhile back.

8. train

train XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    all my pistols new or old only see cast boolits run thru them, Lead is less damaging and easy to clean, no probs. I run lead 45acp thru xds. Lee part -#90352. Goto cast boolits forum.

9. Broke123

Broke123 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same 356-124-tc mold. What's your load recipe?

10. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I load 4.0gr Red Dot. OAL don't have that right now I'll check and get back with you.

11. Broke123

Broke123 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome, thanks. Do you water drop?

12. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Yep. I use the 45-45-10 tumble lube found the recipe at castboolits website.

13. Errokk

Errokk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tons of great info guys! I'm definitely going to try some of those cast suppliers but my intent is to cast my own being as a lead supply has dropped in my lap. I guess the next problem is to sneak the cash passed the wife to get the goods! Maybe I can pull it off!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

14. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Of all the "reloading" equipment you can buy casting equipment pays for itself faster than any. That's how I got it past the wife.

Furnace x dollars, molds x dollars, sizing lubing x dollars. I can cast X amount of bullets and all the equipment is paid for. Heck that how much I shoot in just a few months :)

15. Errokk

Errokk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess my next question is, what brands of equipment do you prefer?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2