carry: XDs vs. XD(m) in 45ACP

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by whtvrsclvr, Sep 23, 2012.

1. whtvrsclvr

whtvrsclvr XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greetings,
    I've searched, but didn't find what I was looking for. If this question has come up already, please redirect me.

I currently own the xd9 subcompact, and after 8 years I'm looking to upgrade to a larger caliber for my carry pistol. I like the looks of the xd(m) and the XDs, and I really want to go to .45ACP. I do want to stick with a subcompact model.

I'm torn. The XDs is slim, but only has 5+1, and I'm used to carrying more rounds than that. The XD(m) has 9+1 which I like. Also, the XDs is new, and I've read that some people have had some issues with it. I figure, by the time I am ready to purchase, those kinks will be worked out (if in fact they are design problems and not user problems or ammo problems.)

Besides capacity, the only other sticking point is overall length... 7" vs. 6.3". Does anyone have experience with both, and have input to help me guide my decision? I'm having trouble finding a LGS with both models for a side by side comparison. And, do you find that the additional 4 rounds makes a difference in practical applications for an (almost) every day carrier? I am not LEO or military, so I really don't know how important the additional 4 rounds would be, but I don't want to be left with a surprise if and/or when I need to draw or shoot.

2. Cajun XDM

Cajun XDM XDTalk Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. I carry an XD 45 with a 4" barrel and full size frame on occasion. I carry it in an OWB dillon holster.
    I don't have a problem concealing it under a Columbia button down shirt down here in Louisiana.

3. N8rfastback

N8rfastback XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both and now only carry the XDS. Its much more versatile, can be hidden easier and is much less likely to print, and weighs considerably less. The only advantage of the compact over the xds is the extra rounds.

Nate

4. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Well the round count AND the fact that the M is not riddled with complaints on malfunctions. :?

5. kd5zmg

kd5zmg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well IMO, the XDs is easier to conceal. Can fit in most jean pockets, IWB holster probably very easily.

However, with like all new tools in the toolbox, you will need to spend time working with your new tool. Yes, there are people who are having issues with FTF, FTE and FT'whatever, but I think after a few hundred rounds if the pistol is having issues, send it back to SA and have them duplicate the problem.

With that said, my EDC is the 40SC and although I like the 40 round, if SA made a 45 SC, I would be there. The XDs fills that void I think. The LGS has 4 of them, I almost bought one, but am waiting to see what happens with a used XDm 45 Compact 3.8 that I am waiting on a seller to sell me. This is to replace the XD45 Compact I sold just last Friday. If the XDm45 compact purchase happens, then the XDs will be next for sure.

Good luck with your decision.

6. big_buck_down

big_buck_down XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I had to pick between the 2 I would go with the xds. I was wanting to buy one of the 2 but I went with the Kahr pm45. Dont get me wronge I love SA but I liked the kahr a lil better. Its a hair ( not by much to make a diffrence) and has been out a lil longer. Plus I like the way it looks better. It is so small, slim and light I forget I have it on me alot of times. Its a lil to big to fit comfy in my pocket (for me anyway) but a good IWB holster is the trick.

7. jrock

jrock XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are some people who have had issues but I am not one of them. It's actually the opposite as my 2nd xd45 is the only one that I have had some FTF issues. I absolutely love my XDs though and it is perfect for me. I use to carry the xd45 but it is too big for me to conceal easily. The LCP was a good replacement for a while as it is light, small and easy for me to conceal. However, I really dislike carrying a round smaller than the 45. So I almost compromised and bit the bullet on a Shield in 40 S&W until the range employee slipped up and said Springfield was bringing out a single stack 45. Seeing as I have owned 2 xd's before and that I love the platform of course I had to get one! So I got the XDs back in July and did I mention I love this gun!? The LCP now just collects dust and the xd45 stays in the night stand. I have had absolutely no FTF's or FTE's with both FMJ's and personal defense ammo in 300+rounds. This pistol is very accurate as well in the right hands with the fiber optic front sight and makes for quick target aquisition too. In my dealings with Springfield's customer service as well (I found out they send out holsters for us southpaws!) I can say that I would have no hesitation in buying any of their products as they stand behind them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    FWIW, I have an XDM compact in 9, same size as the XDM 45 you're thinking about, and I've found I don't like carrying it. It's just too big and uncomfortable for me.

This is very much personal preference and depends on things like body type (I'm 6-5 280) and environment, but I've gotten to the point where I will almost only carry smaller single stack guns like my 938 Sig.

So for me I would go with the XDS. You can carry it in a small rig, in a pocket, almost anywhere. Yes, you give up rounds, so there is a draw back. But 7 or 8 rounds of 9 or 380 if I carry the 239 with me is better than 14 rounds home in my safe.

Others will feel differently and lot's of folks carry large guns. To each his own.

9. bocam48

bocam48 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some people do conceal the xdm .45 compact, but I too find it a bit big for most pockets or IWB carry, and that's with the 9 round magazine. That may be me. So go to your LGS and check 'em out. I do like the pistol for general use. Shoots well. Winter clothes may work better than summer.

10. big_buck_down

big_buck_down XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel the same. you cary less rounds. but chances are unless you get in a gun fight you will only need 2 maybe 3 tops. but carry what you like. i carry my kahr in warm months and my compact 1911 during the colder months because of the weight

11. LSL

LSL XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No trouble concealing XDM3.8c in 9mm with 13 rnd magazine, using kydex/horsehide IWB by local company <tripleTholster.com>. In .45 and 9 rounds, you need to comPare size of frame/magazine. My hands do not fit the XDs grip, but do like midsize XDM back.

12. inanebignate

inanebignate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an xdm 45 compact its a good carry gun but a little heavy fully loaded. I have a glock 36 too which is a great carry gun but I eventually plan on getting the xds bc the 36 is not a ton more comfortable than the xdm 45c. I think if you have been comfortable carrying the xd sc the xdm compacts really are not that much larger the biggest difference is the slide length because of the longer barrel which really is not to big of a deal for concealing.

13. Dago_Red

Dago_Red XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the XDm 3.8 45 and the XDs. I have not gotten a holster yet for the s or got it on my permit (I got signed off a couple of weeks ago for shooting it but just today got around to calling the Sheriff dept.) The whole reason I bought the s was that the m is just too heavy (more than size it's weight for me) to carry around all the time. If I had an OWB for it then in the winter probably it wouldn't be a problem at all, but summer carry, t-shirts and shorts it's get's old. (I've done it, in fact carried it almost every waking hour for three days in southern CA in the heat).

The s is gonna be the ticket. so slim and so much lighter. I can't wait to carry it.

I do love the m though, and love that with the extended mag I have a full size (or commander size) gun that shoots like it. The s with hot loads isn't enjoyable, although from the 100 I've put through it so far I shoot it accurately. I have had no issues whatsoever with mine other than there were a couple of marks on the slide on one side from the factory, but since it'll get holster wear I'm not too worried about it (and they're very minor, I just notice ****)

Red

14. EvilElmo

EvilElmo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm carrying the XDm 3.8c in 45 now. I want an XDs at some point but I'm going to wait a year or two and let them work out any kinks it may have first.

15. FXDF

FXDF XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kinda in same boat. Waited and waited on XDs,got tired of the the delays and bought a XDm compact .45. Really like the 3.8,but I think it is a little large for IWB. So,the 3.8 makes a prefect HD,IDPA and OWB for me. Got a Kahr P9 for IWB. So for,all is good.

16. lamerem

lamerem XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am going with the Walther PPS! The wife's EDC is the XDs but I love that little Walther!

17. runningrabbit

runningrabbit XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had Glock 36's before but now we own XD-45s so I may just have to get one of these.

18. CarlWinslo

CarlWinslo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have an xds, xd45 compact, xd40sc, and have had my eye on xdm45compact, and I do understand the benefits of the xds in the summer heat first hand. It is much easier to carry two 7 extra round mags than my xd45 or 40 when it's hot and it's always hot down here.

19. JeffBullock

JeffBullock XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am finding the XDs incredibly more comfortable for carry than my XDm .40 compact (which I sold). This handgun is wonderful, and unlike some others, I have had zero FTF issues. I have the bitone model, and it's a very attractive handgun. I recently gave it an alcohol bath to strip off all of the oils and applied Froglube to it. The stuff is absolutely great and now my handgun smells like wintergreen. I'm glad I chose this as my carry gun. I'm even comfortable carrying OWB. It's so slim and small, it's hardly noticeable. SA does it again.

20. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 2
    I had both. The XDm .45acp is an awesome gun ... never had an issue and I CCW'ed it for about a year.

It is significantly larger then the XDS. I find the XDS to be a better overall carry option all around , but I'd be lying if I said I had any issues concealing the XDm c.

So you can't go wrong -- the XDs is my favorite handgun ever and I can conceal it in EVERYTHING I wear , and it can go in the pocket no problem.

The XDm could conceal pretty much in everything , however no pocket option and the XDs is more comfy.

Can't go wrong either way .