Springfield XD Forum banner

Carbines, why?

12K views 131 replies 36 participants last post by  Smokehouse 
#1 ·
Most of you know that I am somewhat obsessed with all things .45 acp. Lately I have been looking at carbines...but I have no idea why. I honestly do not see any real reason for them. I can only come up with "I want one". While I know that is reason enough, do you have a better more reasonable reason?

Also, now that Carl is gone I will add this. I had a buddy from church hand me a Kriss Vector and 100 rounds of ammo and told to "go play". I was totally jacked up and could not get home fast enough. Once I got home though, the excitement didn't last long. The trigger was horrible and at least I was not very accurate with it. So I am not thinking of one of those. I am thinking maybe more along the lines of Marlin, Baretta or God forgive me, Hi Point if I continue down this silly path.

Discuss.

#8 ·
I've been told that High Standard (iirc) is going to bring out a .45 ACP AR carbine.

Olympic used to make one...it used M3 mags.
Only High Standard I ever had was a revolver and it was a great gun. Still don't know why I sold it.

So, is there really a reason/need for a carbine? That an AR or my Mini 14 wouldn't fill?

#11 ·
I really like pistol caliber carbines.

They are more accurate than handguns due to the stability that a stock adds.

Velocity increases due to the longer barrel.

You can typically shoot farther (accurately) with a carbine than a handgun.

Ammunition is typically available and less expensive than many rifle calibers.

Ummm. There's more, but do you really need more encouragement?

Personally, I have several 9mm carbines and enjoy shooting them.

Reactions: unclejed
#13 ·
Forgive me for this admission... I own a Hi Point 995 and would probably buy the 45 version if no one saw me do it. I paid $80 for the beat up carbine and have since sent 1,000+ rounds of 9mm reloads through it. I haven't thought once about cleaning it. I can shoot stationary clay pigeons at 50 yards with the standard slights with ease.

A sub2k is on the list, because... well, just because, but for now the hi point gets thrown in the truck whenever I go to the range. It also is an excellent tool for dispatching sick farm cats.

#14 ·
No shame from me. If it was a pistol I would openly ridicule of course.

The 9mm part is of interest because of ammo cost, but since I reload for .45 there isn't a big savings there other than time.

#18 ·
i wish i could still buy a sub 2000 around here. id tacticool the snot out of it too.

#26 ·
I know they are going to be different, but what would you call the effective range on the 9mm?

Max range for 9mm depends on who you ask.

H&K states 200 yards max for the full size MP5. I think that is a little overzealous. Kind of like AK's having a 1000 meter adjustable sight on them. We all know that ain't gonna happen with any regularity.

Personally, I'm a fan of keeping 9mm within 125 yards depending on which carbine I am using at the time, though the bullet will certainly get out there much farther than 125 obviously.

I have an semiauto uzi with a 16 inch barrel and shooting at 100 yards with it is pretty effortless on the 2/3rd scale IDPA torso gong.

I have an SBR'd MP5K which has a 5.5 inch barrel and I tend to keep it within 85 yards.

My Ingram M10A1 smg with an 8.5" barrel will get to 100 easily, though in full auto, it will ring a large gong at 100, don't expect all to be on target unless you do very short 2 round bursts by feathering the trigger. The 3 round will usually walk up over the edge of the gong. But I suppose that is probably not in the scope of the question. With the selector in the semi position, it has no problem at 100.

#28 ·
Jed, not sure budget, but the Kel Tec sub 2000 is an awesome fun carbine, 9 or 40, no 45. The Beretta cx4 is available in 9 40 and 45, the 45 is sweet, and finally the H&K USC 45.... But that one is pricey.....running anywheres from 1600 to 2k if you can find one....ahem. My kel tec swaps mags with the glock. The USC and cx4 run their own mags but the beretta does interchange with some of the beretta pistols. Unfortunately the USC does not have a partner pistol....

#31 ·
I think the old ones are the best ones, M1927 replica, or an M3 replica if you can find one.
Other than that I'd build a 10" AR pistol in 45ACP that took the grease gun or Thompson mags, and add a Sig brace to it.
It would look good, and be great fun. Not to mention easy to shoulder and swing around inside.

Just FYI, the 300 BLK approximates 45 ACP performance in many ways when using ~220gr subsonics. Another great choice for bump in the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.