Springfield XD Forum banner

Carbines (Hi Point, Baretta, etc.)

20K views 239 replies 37 participants last post by  Helpdesk9 
#1 ·
I have come to learn that there are some carbine fans out there so I thought I would just start a general carbine thread.

I just bought a Hi Point 9mm carbine this week and was really anxious to get home from church to shoot it. Unfortunately it has rained steadily all day today so the first range session is on hold. Instead, I did a full take down and gave it a good cleaning. Here are my impressions so far.

• Break down tools are minimal and included.
  • Comes with a sling and swivels. Pretty cheap sling but it was included.
  • Break down was pretty easy after watching a YouTube video.
  • Warranty is unbelievable. One guy on here bought a gun in pieces for $70 and sent it to Hi Point at their suggestion and they sent him a new gun! That story alone made me look a little harder at them.
  • Made in America by God!
Dislikes (none of these amount to much when you consider what the gun cost.)
  • As I expected, the trigger is not the best.
  • I don't like that you have to remove the front sight to break down the gun.
  • 10 round magazine. Good enough but higher capacity would be a plus.
  • 1 magazine. This always irks me. I would rather pay a little more and get an extra magazine. They can't cost the manufacturer much.
  • Manual is pretty much a single piece of paper folded into 8 pages.
If the gun shoots decent at all at 40 - 80 yards I will be happy and probably buy a .45 version next year. Hopefully in the next couple of days I can tell you how it shoots.

One last thing. I will continue to make fun of Hi Point handguns and I expect to take a little abuse over the carbine. Let's be honest. I deserve all the hell I catch.

See less See more
Reactions: Cuda66
#2 ·
I have heard rave reviews of the carbines, I have owned two of the pistols and got rid of them...there are fanbois out there, but after actually owning and shooting them...I just don't stand by them like I used to

#3 ·
Well, besides my 9mm Colt, I'm quite fond of my Marlin 1894C .357 magnum carbine.

I've probably shot more .38spl through it than .357...with a .38, it's like a big .22.

One of these days I'm going to get a .44 to go along with it...and if I can find one, a .41...

#4 ·
Jed, magazines are cheap. $17 each.

Display Products

When I bought my 995, they had a deal, iirc $25 for 2 magazines and a magazine holder that attaches to the stock. Give them a call. They may do something for a "new" owner even though you bought it used.

kypix

#8 ·
Thanks. I will do that. Everything I have heard about their customer service is good. I will also ask them why they don't make a higher capacity magazine for those of us that still live in America.

#15 ·
I have been looking at shorter range optics for my Mini 14 too. I have just never been a big fan of peep sights and now I have 2 rifles with them. But I need to buy something cheap or wait until after Christmas on the carbine or the Mini. I am about spent out.

#16 ·
BTW, believe it or not I have never owned a red dot or anything like it, so this is all new territory for me. I am behind on all the optic stuff other than scopes, which I have owned since my first .22 rifle that I bought 4 decades ago. Looking for an optic for 100 yards or closer is new territory.

#17 ·
One of my favorite carbines.

Single shot, break down 38/357 mag NEF. Barrel cut down to 16 inches and threaded for suppressor (which I use deer hunting). Fantastic little brush gun.

I also have a 410, 20 gauge an 12 gauge barrel for it, so it makes a great all purpose receiver.

#19 ·
I sent an e-mail to Hi Point last night asking them why they can't make a higher capacity magazine. On the good side, I had a response first thing this morning. On the bad side I think there is a fair amount of BS in it. Here is what they said.

Jed,
The government has stipulated that any manufacturer who has a magazine over 10 rounds will be put on the tactical weapons list. Our competitors have lost 80% of their sales due to this. As a small company we could not afford to lose that volume of sales. Please vote gun friendly.

#21 ·
I sent an e-mail to Hi Point last night asking them why they can't make a higher capacity magazine. On the good side, I had a response first thing this morning. On the bad side I think there is a fair amount of BS in it. Here is what they said.

Jed,
The government has stipulated that any manufacturer who has a magazine over 10 rounds will be put on the tactical weapons list. Our competitors have lost 80% of their sales due to this. As a small company we could not afford to lose that volume of sales. Please vote gun friendly.
That sounds...fishy.

#24 ·
#32 ·
I sorta like the kel tec 9mm.....I like the price and that it folds up....had a hi point....worked fine and was fun to shoot.....fired a kel tec only once....gotta look closer at one....

#34 ·
FIRST RANGE REPORT: inconclusive

Ok. I got home at 4:00. It was 36 degrees with 40 mph winds. Terrible time to shoot...unless you have a new gun. So out I went. I took 50 rounds of cheap dirty Tula ammo because I did not want to be picking up brass in the dark while the wind was blowing up my skirt. I was shootng at 50 yards and the gun is clearly shooting high. But once I realized that I was ringing the 6" steel plate off handed for the most part by aiming at the bottom of the target. But the wind! Dang! Did I mention the wind? And the sun was in my eyes coach. Ok. The sun part is a lie because there is not sun to be found today. I took a few shots at the 4" plate and missed. No idea how the windage is but definitely have to make some adjustments to the elevation. I was surprised that there actually was some recoil. I survived it and everything. No bruising. But the little shock absorber butt plate was actually shock absorbing! I would have bet against that and lost. So here is the to do list.
  • Adjust sights as soon as I get to shoot off the bags.
  • Do some filing on the trigger. Sharp edges.
  • In the near future add some kind of optic.
  • Shoot it more, a lot more.
Conclusion: I love the gun but have no idea of the accuracy. Also, as I have stated before I do not like peep sights at all so I will definitely be adding an optic to the Hi Point and once I find one I like and can afford in my current nearly broke condition, I will probably get one for the Mini 14 too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.