Can modems go bad?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by csutke, Nov 4, 2010.

1. csutke

csutke XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So for the past few months Ive been having intermittent problems with my internet connection. It will range from having to reload a page every so often, to restarting the router and modem, to me yelling and cussing out bresnan (my ISP) cause nothing is making the net, work and its the only thing that keeps me from ripping the modem out of the wall and throwing it across the room. Now I do understand that from time to time the modem and router need to be restarted but when it happens everyday or multiple times a day that's not right. Also I know that during the peak hours the connection will get slow and will have more problems but when it happens at the wee hours of the morning or in the middle of the afternoon (1-4 pm) there's a problem there. I have gotten a new computer with windows 7 on it and it will tell me that there's network access but no internet access when I'm having problems. The modem in question is a Motorola Surfboard that is about 5 years old. Im not leasing it and I would prefer to not lease one if i can help it. Im running a newer (past year) linksys N router, and have an old WRT54G that I can hook up if needed. I have called bresnan out and of course they have stated that the problem is not on their end.

So any help would be appreciated in helping me with my internet problems.

2. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    yes, they can go bad, but its usually a line problem weakening the signal (but not enought to mess up the TV) in my experience.

corosion at a break or something would be my guess, a cable guy can check your signal at a few spots.

you can pick up a new modem for not too much cash, and call in to have them set up for the number on the modem. not too much hassle.

3. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Yes, modems do go bad, but it may not be the modem.

Contact your ISP and start the problem solving from there.

4. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I've gone through 9 aDSL modems since I got DSL service.

They can and do go bad.

Have your ISP ship you a new modem (yes, it'll cost) or buy a new one for yourself. Plug it in, set it up and see if it fixes your problems.

If the problems go away - it's the modem
    If the problems stay - return the modem and have the ISP come out and fix the lines.

5. csutke

csutke XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tried that, they said that its not on their end (but of course they are gonna say that)

6. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    We have the exact same problem with CenturyTel, crappiest "broadband" I have ever heard of.

7. carhartt

carhartt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Take your modem out of the question by just plugging the ethernet directly into your computer. If that gives you a steady signal with no intermittent breaks, you know its the modem.

A new modem is pretty easy to set up, and they aren't really that expensive anymore.

8. Brent_NC

Brent_NC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To isolate the problem, if possible, bypass your router and hook straight into the modem. That will eliminate the router as the cause. If you still see the same issue, then in some cases the ISP will replace the modem for you.

If you are on DSL, bad filters can be part of the problem as well. Like another user said, cables can be a problem. If for some reason you have crappy cables, sometimes too many cables that are incorrectly shielded can interfere with one another. Be sure to check that all cables and wires are properly seated.

I would also run a speed check at DSL reports by going here.

Speed Test : upload and download | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

This will let you see how good of a connection you have and any latency you might see via your ISP.

I just ran one from here (NC) and I get the following to NY.

9586 Kb/s Download
    480 Kb/s upload
    20 ms latency

You can and will see better, but this will give you a basis for comparison. Running the speed check will not give you any magic information, but if your speeds are way off from what I'm showing, it can give you some clues, particularly if your latency numbers are super high.

By the way, I'm on Time Warner.

9. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I've been through 5 modems with my aDSL service over the years. What causes them to go bad is heat. Some of them get VERY hot and have poor ventilation.

Same for routers and switches. I've had to replace my switches a couple of times also.

10. destinydog

destinydog XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try to find similarities with the problem in order to present a good case to the ISP. FOr isntance my modem always goes down when it is raining. This would alert them to the fact that water is getting into the line somewhere...

at first it sounded to me like a modem problem until u mentioned speeds dropping off later in the day.... i would run speedtest.net and pingtest.net to get some concrete stats and keep a log off them to rpesent to the ISP. Also take the router out of the loop.

BTW wireless or wired connection?

11. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Are you using cable or DSL?

The problem with cable is it's a shared connection. The more users, he slower the connection. DSL doesn't suffer from that problem.

If you're on cable and the problem always happens at the same times (afternoon and then early AM) you may have kids playing internet gaming in the afternoon and remote file backups (like Mozy.com) happening at 3 am.

Remove the router and plug straight into the modem. If that doesn't solve the problem, have a friend bring their modem over to swap with yours so you can test it.

If the problem is still happening with a different modem, call your ISP and complain until they come check it out.

12. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    If you're on a cable system, have a tech come out and check all the connectors and cables in your home.

I was experiencing periodic drops, anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. Usually a cable modem reset would clear it, sometimes not.

Tech came out, replaced connectors and cables from wall outlet to the modem, replaced the splitter that took the signal to the TV and the cable from splitter to TV. Since then, I've not detected any drops.

YMMV

13. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    When the problem "isn't on thier end" that just means thier computers haven't crashed. I does not mean the lines are in tip top condition.

14. csutke

csutke XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its both, my laptop is running wireless and my 360 is running wired. I also have cable internet, not DSL. Running directly to the modem is not really an option as I have multiple items running from my router. I have recently (last year) replace my router as that was my first step in trying to fix this problem

15. csutke

csutke XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also I have had my ISP come out and test the lines. Originally I was having problems with my TV signal,it was very pixelated, and was constantly cutting out. When they came out the discovered that my feed cables were even in my neighborhood but in the one behind me. I then proceeded to tell them about the problems with my internet and they said that this was also the cause. Later that week I got a call informing me that they had some techs come and put me in to the correct feed network and asked if my problem was better. I told them that the TV was better and that the internet was still the same. This is when they told me that the problem wasnt on their end.