Can a Magwell Adapter Split the Magwell on a Lower

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Krackels, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I was cleaning my RRA 9mm AR today.

After looking into the lower and seeing hundreds of rounds of built up crud I decided to clean my lower, something I don't normally do.

Anyhow to make a long story short I was wiping down the lower and noticed a vertical split running up the front of my magwell.

My first inclination was that when I had reinstalled the magwell adapter I had over tightened the screw (the magwell was moving before and not seated high enough) and split the magwell, but then I started to think... is the lower that fragile that overtightening a screw in the adapter would cause it to split right down the middle?

I'll see if I can get you some pics, and I'll call RRA tomorrow to see what they say.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I am not sure how they mount but its hard aluminum and yes, It could split. Screws allow you to put alot more torque on fasteners than what most would think.

3. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It could be a combination of things, such as overtightening of the adapter, combined with a flaw in the lower, combined with heavy use...etc.

I have not seen the magwell of an AR lower split before from overtightening a 9mm mag well adapter, but it is certainly possible.

Post up some pics...I'd like to see what kind of "split" you are talking about.

Also, FWIW, I have swicthed to Hahn Dedicated 9mm Blocks in all my 9mm carbines and in ones that I have built for others. LRBHO, uses the standard AR-15 Bolt Catch, requires no "adjustment" for perfect function with Colt/Metalform mags (can't speak to Mod. Uzi, ProMag, C-Products, etc.), and is generally a better design than the RRA as far as I am concerned inasmuch as you aren't "tightening" it against the interior walls of the mag well.

4. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Do the Hahn blocks drop in from the top?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Thats right down the middle, almost like a casting line but I believe RRA uses forgings. I would definately contact them.

6. kaizenboi

kaizenboi XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0
    WOW! :shock: Allen, i would agree with Ichy Trigger, contact RRA and see if they can at least repair that (or even replace???).

Very interesting. I wonder what Mike (mvician) would have to say...

7. xd4life

xd4life XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    This is the second rifle I seen with that same split. last I heard RRA took care of the rifle but it took them a little bit of time. Search ar15.com for this. There is a RRA rep there that is involved in the forums there and is a good guy to deal with...

8. Diocoles

Diocoles XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    That looks like.. OW. Hope you get some help with that.

9. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    WOW!! OUCH!! That definitely looks like a manufacturing problem and NOT anything that could have been caused by your mag block. RRA should step up on that one.

As for the Hahn block...yes, the dedicated block is a top installing block. They make several different models, including the dedicated which requires removal of the bolt catch roll pin and bolt catch to install the block. The block is then inserted, the bolt catch and roll pin reinstalled, and that way the block actually uses the standard AR-15 bolt catch which is MUCH stronger than the 9mm unit. The downside to the dedicated block is that it take a little more work to uninstall it from the lower if you are switching back and forth between 9mm and 5.56/223 uppers. Hahn also makes a top loader, and a bottom loader mag block as well. Check out their site for more info...great products though and I highly recommend them!!

Hahn Precision > AR-15

10. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Yeah, I might have to look into that.

I don't mind RRA's magwell adapter, though. It's pretty solid and never moves once it's in place. It allows the use of the rifle's bolt hold open and the bolt will lock back with Colt, C-Products, and Pro-Mags. It just doesn't lock back with modified UZI mags.

I'd really love it if they'd replace my lower with one of their new integral magwell 9mm lowers... :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  11. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That would be nice, but be advised...

1) I don't know that they are out yet for lower only sales. I have seen them first hand on complete rifles, but so far I haven't seen just lowers (stripped or otherwise) for sale yet. For the damage to your current lower and the problems they have caused you...certainly RRA should make it right one way or another.

2) I have heard complaints from folks on ARFCOM that the integral magwell 9mm lowers have problems with c-products, promags, and even some reports of issues with Colt mags. Feed problems, failing to lock the bolt back on the last round, etc. The problem with the integral lower is that you lose the ability to adjust it like you would with a traditional mag block design. Now...the problems I heard about were a month or so ago (maybe longer) and I don't know if it was a problem across the board or just with a few select rifles, but like a lot of RRA stuff, they may have bugs to work out before the integral magwell 9mm lowers are 100%.

12. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Hmmm... maybe I should hang out there more often... nah, I like it here. ;)

I'd be perfectly content with a regular lower since I'd still be able to use my magwell adapter or use a Hahn adapter.

13. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I just got off the phone with a nice Customer Service Rep at RRA. He said most likely that the 'crack' was caused by overtightening the magwell block.

So my options are limited. He said some guys will use a good metal worker (at perhaps a Harley Davidson shop) and have the magwell TIG welded or I could send it in for the techs to look at (if it's covered and it needs to be replaced it'd be replaced with a integral magwell lower--it cannot be repaired at RRA) or I could just replace it with a new lower.

He said that it really won't affect function since all it does is hold the magwell adapter in place.

I might have to have a conversation with my friend's father (he does motorcycle repair) or some of my friends that work at a large metal shop (iron and aluminum fixtures).

14. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    That type of welding is hard to do and is best left to a real professional. Tig welding aluminum is a fragile business and I would talk to a welding shop and see what they say.

15. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Worst case scenario, there's always duck tape! ;)

Yeah, I'd have to talk to some of the guys that do the welding before I'd give them the go ahead.

I could probably just fill it with a little jb-weld and clamp it tight while it cures.

16. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I would sy that if you can get it welded, do so. Then make sure you blend it in by sanding down the weld until its absolutely smooth. After that you can refinish the lower and it should be completely invisible, as long as they dont leave low spots...