caliber conversion

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by Xx1337NINJAxX, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Xx1337NINJAxX

Xx1337NINJAxX XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, I'm still new to xd's so please bare with my lack of knowledge. Is it true that changing of barrels / mags is all it takes to change calibers of the xd? Are there internal differences in the guns that would make it less reliable after a conversion? I am wanting to get a .40 s&w service and throw a 9mm conversion on it while target shooting, and keep the .40 cal at home for defense. What is the most reliable conversion barrel? Is it recommended that the slide is changes as well? .40 s&w mags are the same as 9mm ones correct? Sorry for the barage of questions, I just wanted to be 100% sure before making the purchase. Thanks in advance!

2. kdhs10

kdhs10 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes there is such a barrel, the slide does not have to be changed and the mags will work as well.

3. Xx1337NINJAxX

Xx1337NINJAxX XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What about the guide rod / spring. Do these need to be changed as well for a reliable set-up? What is the worst thing that could happen if not changed - FTE? premature slide lock?

4. nothingness

nothingness XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have a XD40 tact. and the 9mm ported conversion barrel from EFK.
    I had already upgraded my guide rod with 1 of Dons guide rods, this isn't necessary for the 9mm conversion barrel though. I suggest you use 9mm magazines with the conversion barrel and a lighter guide rod spring like a #14.
    All of which can be picked up over at PistolGear.com unless they're sold out.

It isn't going to be 100% reliable, but it's been around 98% reliable for me with 9mm mags and a light spring.