Buying my first AR

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by bloodsport, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bloodsport

bloodsport XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive been contemplating on buying my first ar rifle. I was gonna buy a tikka t3 lite for deer hunting but I just came across an AR that really is catching my eye. Its the stag arms new model 3! Do any of you know if this is one of the better ar's. If I get this I'm going to have to der hunt with this, this year. They have a plus series that is a 1 in 7 twist which im told will stabilize heavier bullets better. I know its small for a deer rifle but it will only be for one season and the shot would most likely be 50 to 75 yards. Id buy a deer rifle next year. What are your thoughts on this model 3? id like this same rifle in .243 but its not available. Ive seem.some others but for the price this looks sweet

2. Hammer of Dawn

Hammer of Dawn XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You should check out Spike's Tactical....should be comparable in price. Itoo was looking at a Stag Arms AR but went with the Spike's and I love it. It has 1:7 twist and chrome barrel....just my .02 cents. Good luck.

3. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMHO, 5.56 is too small a caliber for deer hunting and may not even be legal for that purpose in some States. Have you checked into .308 ARs (AR10)?

4. bloodsport

bloodsport XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i know, alot of peoples opinions is its to small..mine to in a way but i know it can be done eithically if shot placement is good and not to far out. i cant find a nice looking 308 for around a thousand bucks thats similar looking to the stag model 3. do you have a few ideas? i would like a 308. its legal here in nebraska. ill check out spikes tactical when i get home. thanks

5. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. bloodsport

bloodsport XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about a bushmaster orc .308 any experience with them?

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +386 / 4
    It's not too small at all. Shot placement and bullet construction are the key. I've seen deer killed just as dead, just as quickly with .223's as with
    a .30-30, .30-06, or .300WSM...even a 12ga slug.

For the ranges the OP is talking about...if the rifle is accurate, and the shooter can keep the rifle on target when buck fever stirkes, .223 is plenty of gun...just use a well-constructed bullet; with that 1:7 twist, I'd recommend a 55gr or heavier Barnes TSX or TTSX.

8. Creeky73

Creeky73 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stag is a good name brand, been around for a while. Go with the 1 in 7 twist regardless of deer hunting or not, but it will certainly help with that to be able to use the heavier rounds. As for the ethics of it, IMO as long as you are not intentionally doing something to prolong the deer's suffering, I don't have a problem with it. Talk to long-time hunters and they will all tell you stories of having to track a deer for hundreds of yards or much further, or not being able to find them at all, and that is using anything from a bow to the large calibers. You are not guaranteed to drop it where it stands on every shot, so use what you got and do the best you can, especially if you have to eat.

9. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, just my opinion and I am not a big hunter. I base my opinion on that of people who do hunt alot and think the round is too small for deer. I have heard people say a .22 placed well will kill too, just don't think you go with possible marginal lethality IF adequate is available.

Again, just my opinion, YMMV.:???:

10. mAKo

mAKo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    have you seen the Remmington R-25...its avaliable in .308 and .243 not sure how the prices are but i know the R-15 is around 1,000.

11. LCFD#22

LCFD#22 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a friend who recently picked up a off brand AR platform. He intends to use it deer hunting. In MN anything over .22 cal is legal. I told him it's not a matter of legality since it meets the criteria it's a matter of ethics. As long as bullet placement is good he'll and you'll be fine. Then again he traded in a 7mm ultra mag for it. That was his deer rifle. He seems to go to extremes.[​IMG]
    As stated by others be sure of your shot placement with it. I would go with a larger round, but to each there own.

12. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Some states allow you to use a .223 for deer hunting but in my opinion this size caliber should only be used by those whom are seasoned hunters. Can a .223 take a deer down? Sure it can if you place the shot correctly. Have I ever taken a deer with a .223? Nope and I probably wouldn't...

Another caliber I wouldn't pass up is the 6.8 SPC which will fit in a standard AR-15 lower. Rock River makes an upper at a pretty reasonable price They also make complete rifles as well.

13. bloodsport

bloodsport XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my buddy had the 6.8 and ammo was ridiculous to get around here. he ordered it from the local sporting goods store and took over two months to get..i couldnt believe it. i deer hunt every year. i would say im a pretty good shot. ive had a .308 and a two 270's. ive hunted all my life. im 23 now. i can hit coons in the head at 100 yards pretty easily with my 22 mag. so honestly im not to worried about good shot placement. might have to pass up a few to get a ethical shot but its a chance im gonna have to take. im really thinking about getting the stag arms new model three with the plus package. just wish someone here had one and could tell me how well it performs to similar priced ar's. so far its either the stag or the bushmaste orc .308 the cheaper .223 round would be nice tho. i looked at the spike tactical. im still looking up info on them. prry gonna order one friday. hope i can make up my mind by then. thanks for ur opinions guys..keep em coming

14. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +386 / 4

Actually, in MN .22 centerfire is legal, has been for a couple of years.

15. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Although expensive, the 6.8 SPC is cheaper than the .308/7.62 where I am at, which is why I brought it up. At times it can be hard to find here as well but from what I have read it is an optimal round that has the trajectory of a 6.5 Grendel and the stopping power of a 7mm (which are the two rounds the 6.8 was designed around).

I thought this was interesting but here is a good read on the history of the 6.8 SPC, if you are interested. :cool:

History of the 6.8 SPC