buying ammo out of state

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by willis1982, Jul 27, 2010.

1. willis1982

willis1982 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im traveling to az and am flying i pretty sure i cant bring ammo so my question is can i buy ammo in another state im from Illoinis and i know if u dont have a foid card you cant buy ammo or gun if you from out of state visiting Illionis.
    thx

2. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
  3. tahoepimp

tahoepimp XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can bring ammo with you in your checked baggage up to 300 rounds i did this not 2 months ago along with my kimber I also brought back 600 rounds between two suitcases one for my wife and one for me that i bought with an out of state license

Found at TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    Traveling with Special Items

Firearms & Ammunition
    [​IMG]
    Photo of a firearm improperly packaged.
    You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.
    There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR ยง 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.
    The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

• You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    • The firearm must be unloaded.
    • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    • We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    • You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
    [​IMG]
    Photo of a firearm properly packaged.
    We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
    Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.
    Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

4. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 5
    Just phone or Email an online ammo dealer, they do this every day.

5. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was told by TSA that there was a weight limit on ammo not a number, but either way you can fly with ammo.

As far as buying ammo, I have bought ammo in 4 different states and never had an issue, go to walmart if all else fails??

You should be fine

6. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Welcome to free America. You can buy all the ammo in Arizona you want.

7. GerryM

GerryM XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on welcome to "free" American outside of Illinois

8. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Sure you can. There is no registration or paperwork required on ammo purchases. I live in SC and buy in NC all the time, sometimes even GA. Went up to Pineville a couple of months ago and bought 10 boxes of .380 Auto - no problem. "Do you want more?" was the only question asked.

9. Jack the Toad

Jack the Toad XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm from Illinois and I buy ammo in Indiana all the time. I have also bought ammo in Alabama , Missouri and Kentucky.

10. simboden

simboden XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You also can buy ammo in IL if you're out of state, at least according to Rural King last time I was visiting family in Souther Illinois. Just needed my out of state license, since as a non-res I can't have a FOID. I agree with the other posters, things are a bit simpler outside of IL.

11. willis1982

willis1982 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    all went ok. i love AZ might make it my new home

12. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    THis just is not true. The limit for ammo is set by the airlines by weight, not TSA by amount. So if you declared ammo & it was not weighed, then you got lucky. It's also 11# per person, not 11# per bag. so plan accordingly. Buying ammo in AZ is not an issue for anyone old enough to own a gun. Shipping ammo is also an alternative, but it must go UPS.

13. Stogies

Stogies XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Does FOID stand for "freedoms obviously in demise"?

14. agould27

agould27 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Glad I read this thread, I was under the impression that you could not travel with ammo. I must take my handgun with me everywhere I fly now!

15. atmiller

atmiller XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 2

This is NOT what I was told the last time I was in Illinois. Both a Wal Mart and a gun store told me that you must have a FOID card to purchase ammo in Illinois.