Bug out bag and SHTF rifle?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by ichy_trigger, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Ok, since I saw a short topic of this come up in another thread, I thought I would dedicate one to it. Who accually has a bug-out bag and SHTF rifle and pistol ready to go? I personaly do not have the gear ready to go but I think I have all the things at home that would need to go into one. I own both a M4gery and an SKS as well as My Sig .40 with a Tactical thigh holster. I would choose my .40 Sig over the .357 in this case due to ammo being a bit more difficut to find for the .357 and I always keep around 400-500 .40's on hand for matches since I reload my own.
    [​IMG]

2. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 4
    I have a nearly new Russian SKS and a case of 7.62x39 hollowpoints. I also have my Hi-Power with extra mags and a case of S&B 9mm ready to go. Runner up would be my 1935 Winchester Model 12 riot 12 gauge. I am not really into the SHTF scenario thingy, but if it came down to it, these are what I am grabbing.

Why? They're simple, utterly reliable and 7.62x39, 12 gauge and 9mm ammo will be the easiset to find, if scrounging around. These guns are made of wood and steel, no aluminum or delacate sights or parts to lose. If you take no care at all of an SKS, I doubt you could stop the thing. Ditto for the Hi-Power and Model 12. Steel is real. A Model 12 would make a hell of a club...don't try that with your alloy receivered, modern pump-guns!

Sure, there are more high tech choices, but simple and rugged works for me.

3. redbrd

redbrd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't keep a bug out bag or shtf rifle here in the states. I do have a pstol and a carbine kept available, apocket knife is almost always on my person, and I keep a visa in my wallet. Don't really think much more than that is needed in the states. When I travel I keep a bug out bag with gps, energy bars, batteries, extra knife, socks, t-shirt, and appobriate additional ammo.

4. galway

galway XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep a simple bag with a change of clothes, a water bottle, small survival kit, knife, flashlight, and a first-aid kit in the trunk of my car. At home I have a larger bag with all of the above and a water filter, 2 MREs, 40 rnds for the sks, jacket, radio, bigger knife, single person tent, and a chinese sks. Sks not actually in the bag.

5. Meta4

Meta4 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a black nylon backpack that I keep in my car as a bug-out bag. I ascribe to the theory of "urban invisibility," wherein a low profile outfit (i.e., what you'd expect to see a hiker wearing) would probably be better than camoflauge BDU's or such.

So, I keep a change of "low profile" clothing, a bottle of water, some water purification tablets, two MRE's, a flashlight with extra batteries, some rope, a compass and local map, some fire-starting supplies, and a few other odds and ends. Once I get my CCW, I think I'll buy a snub-nose revolver or small semi-auto to stick in there. I'm still worried about leaving a firearm in an unattended car, even with locks and a good security alarm. I suppose I could use a cable lock to clamp the gun down to a permanent fixture of the car, but that would make it a pain to move my BoB around. Ideas?

-James

6. nickc50310

nickc50310 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. baa

baa XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I have a SHTF bag, primarily due to all the hurricanes which threaten Florida these days. We have 14 days of MREs, a decent medical kit, water purification equipment, candles, matches, clothes, 1K 9mm ammo etc in a couple duffle bags. We also keep medical kits, some MREs, medical kits etc in our vehicles and we both carry all the time when out of the home.

I am on the fence on how much to prepare for the possibity of complete social breakdown. If that happens, I can't imagine what one can do to really prepare, short of building an enclave out in the wilds. I, for one, cannot afford to do that. I have an SKS and a couple decent shotguns, and plan to pick up a Springfield M1 in the near future, but I really don't see how effective my wife and I will be, living in the city, with a couple decent rifles. My primary End of the World plan is- I am good friends with people who own large sail boats and they know I have survival gear and firearms. I plan to train for passage out if the world ends. :lol:

8. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
  9. Soysuperhombre

Soysuperhombre XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1 CETME, 5: 20 round mags, 1560 rounds of military grade .308
    1 Star BM, 3 mags 300 rounds of 9mm
    1 Mossberg 500, 250 rounds of 12 gauge.
    Don't laugh. I am only a college student its all I can afford.

10. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    No ones laughing, The only gun I had at the age of 21 was an H&R .22 revolver, then I bought a .243 Savage. Then I traded that Savage for my first hand cannon, a Taurus .357 model 66. It grew from there and grows about 2-3 guns per year.

I didnt mention a shotgun but you guys have a point, thats a damn good option, I have a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 835 with a 24 inch barrel that takes those 3 1/2" 12 gauge shells...THEY HURT. Too many guns and then we will need an urban assault vehicle to haul it all around, how about an armored golf cart...lol

11. hytekblue

hytekblue XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well I keep a change of close and boots with me at all times... that does come in really handy, I used to be an emt so I keep a good sized first aid kit with me and my stocked trauma bag at the house... I always have food on me... (no not on my shirt) usually in my truck... I tend to always be armed... I simply plan for the things that do come up in life... never forget para cord and duct tape... :)

12. Arnisandyz

Arnisandyz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just ordered mine. PTR91K Carbine. Its a little heavy but you gotta love the 308 ballistics compared to a 22.

[​IMG]

13. NewXD40fun

NewXD40fun XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When the SHTF wouldn't the mobs just approach your house to see if you had a gun? If they see you do have a gun, wouldn't they just toss a molotov cocktail in your window or on your roof and move on to the next house?

Tom

14. beardman2

beardman2 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not if you keep the zombies at bay!!!

I'd personally go with a SKS and/or shotgun. Shotgun would give you deer and winged things so you would have some basis covered.

15. galway

galway XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So your bugout bag contains 2000 rounds of ammuntiion and no water or clothing or anything else. What does that weigh?