broken ribs- how long does the pain last??

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by tec, May 11, 2005.

1. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Well, like an idiot, I was using a chair as a ladder on a job. The chair decided to move out from under me, without notifying me in advance. I fell face first, no, the front of my rib cage at the top first onto the chair in front of me. My rib cage slammed into the top of the back of the chair. Good chair, It didn't break under my 230 pounds of lard. My feet decided to break out the front doors of a saltwater aquarium behind me. The side of my face felt generous and cushioned the fall of the chair next to me. Being of sound mind and a quick thinker, I tried to break my fall with just my index finger of my right hand. Unfortunetly, I have been lax in my one finger push up exercises, so all my finger did was drive itself into my hand by what felt like 1 foot. The right thumb tried to help the finger, being a good neighbor and all, by trying to slow the fall with its nail. Nailess to say, that didn't work too well.

So now, it is very painfull to laugh, breath, walk, turn the steering wheel, etc.

Twenty years ago, I cracked some ribs down low and right after falling off a 20 foot ladder due to overextending myself. That hurt for a week or two.

This time, 20 years later, the pain is mucho worso. Any thoughts on how long this pain will be with me to remind me to wear my "anti leave the earth shoes"?

:wink:

2. twizted1

twizted1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well...I cracked some of mine about 3 weeks ago and the pain in the last week has really subsided and now they only hurt when i wake up in the morning or lay on them. The first week it hurt to have ANY pressure on them but wasn't bad when I breathed unless I took a deep breath.

3. HighVelocity

HighVelocity XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's been a few years but it seems like the pain wasn't totally gone for about a month.
    Just get a lot of rest, don't lift anything heavy like a gallon of milk.

In my family it's only funny until somebody gets hurt and then it's hysterical. :lol:
    Unless you're purging internal organs, my family will be laughing their arses off if you get hurt. Childhood was fun.

4. FatMatt1981

FatMatt1981 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good gosh man!
    Sounds like you need to stay off of ladders and chairs.
    Maybe try somethin softer?

5. invssgt

invssgt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I broke #9-right a little over a year ago, about 3" out from the spine- natural-obstacle acrobatics during the black-powder deer season. I figured I had just bunged myself up good, and so tried to ignore it. Three weeks later the pain got steadily more intense, so I finally went to the doc. Being a kind soul, he showed me the x-ray and said "You see that "knuckle" on #9 there? Ribs don't have knuckles- you broke it. It'll heal in about three more weeks."

Mine hurt like the devil for about a month & a half, expecially when I was driving. Pain killers are a wonderful thing, when you need them. Still smarts a little if I twist, just wrong.

6. mullanman

mullanman XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    2 months.........

give or take a month

7. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sorry about the bad news. Get well soon :)

8. indianbullet

indianbullet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crashed my quad a yr ago easter and stuffed my elbow up into my ribs breaking two of them like snaping a pencil ,, dislocated my right sholder at the same time..
    I've been cut on ect ect but never ever have i had pain like that they clicked and popped ever time i moved for months and months..

I still feel them today if someone pokes me on that side or i sleep to long on that side.. I took eight vicodin the day after i did it as i was camping at sand mt Nv and didnt want to leave early and spoil my sons camping trip.. plus no way could i have driven myself out of there the next day but the vicodin didnt even touch the pain, just put me to sleep..

When i did get home my Dr precribed the anti enflamatory celebrex and my pain was cut in half almost instantly,, what a wonder drug the ex-ray tec just kinda giggled when i asked her "so can you see if they are broken?" had about a 1/4' gap between the two ends of two ribs ... remember to try to breath deep all the time as its real easy to get phenoma "sp" so im told ...

good luck i feel your pain still no pun intended lol

9. Snakeoil

Snakeoil XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All they did for me is wrap me up with ace bandages, the tighter the better it felt. If I remember it took a couple of weeks for me to be able to take a breath without hurting.

10. RonS

RonS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds familiar. Many years ago, while finishing an attic, I stepped between joists and fell half way thru the ceiling. Left leg in bedroom on first floor, remainder of body in attic, with left lower ribs gracefully draped over a joist.

It took about two months before it really quit hurting, and I think it messed up my back pretty good too.

11. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    AssaultWeaponWatch? What about AssaultChairWatch? Man, those evil autonomous seats...

12. aiformula

aiformula XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I cracked a couple about 6 years ago when I dove for a dig playing beach volleyball in March down in Florida. Normal activity was ok in about a month and a half, coughing still hurt for another 2 months or so, and I couldn't go boating/waterskiing for the rest of the year because every time the boat's hull crashed a wave, I felt like my ribs were separating all over again. I was fine by christmas though. It just takes time. The more you rest, the quicker they'll heal. Keep your protein and calcium intake high and that will help mend the bones quicker as well.

13. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    ya had to mention the boat thing didn't ya.

We are going to Florida soon and i already have a boat reserved for us. That was the third thing I thought of as I was falling. second was the driving trip down. First was, would my business insurance cover the cost of the broken saltwater fishtank i was about to destroy.

My evil wife is now doing her best to make me laugh all the time. I had to walk out mid lunch at a restaurant (burger squirm) because she had me laughing so hard. Of course this was a poor time for me to start the Rodney Dangerfield isms post too.

14. sjp2452

sjp2452 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dang dude...good luck & heal fast. +1 to taking it easy to heal quicker--don't be a hero. TAKE IT EASY. :)

15. MrTuffPaws

MrTuffPaws XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back when I was younger, bones healed a lot faster than they do now. I broke a few ribs a year ago and they were sore for about 6 weeks.