British 303 identification help

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by BobTheMasher, Mar 21, 2009.

1. BobTheMasher

BobTheMasher XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I hope someone here knows a little bit about these guns. A friend of mine has a pretty beat up old british .303 rifle that he wants to get rid of. I'd like to fix it up a bit and wat a cheap rifle, but I want to give him a fair price for it. I told him I'd look up what they were going for, but unfortunately I am having a hard time. As seems to be the case with me, it's never simple.

I have figured out that it's an enfield no.4 just from the way it looks, and it's got the ranged flip-up sight which seems to imply that it's an mk2. The problem is the markings on it. The only markings I can find are up on the barrel at the front it says:

303BUK
    CAI STALB VT

Which as I understand is just import markings saying century arms international, st. albans vermont.

Near the front sight it says S76, which I haven't been able to find information on except that it seems like that is just a front sight marking.

The only serial number type number I can find is on the metal part of the receiver where the back part of the stock connects to the front part, right behind the trigger. On here it has a SIX digit number 370XXX in large digits. I haven't been able to find ANY mention of a six digit serial number (with no letters in it).

I do recall seeing a tiny stamped "B" on some part of the receiver, but it was very worn out, and very small, and all alone.

Does anyone have any idea where this gun came from? Or at least how much it might be worth? Prices on these things are all over the place.

2. Pirate

Pirate XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Any factory stamping would be on the receiver of a No. 4 mk1 or mk2 Lee Enfield.

Here is a web site for you to research The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website

3. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    "beat up and old"

Got any pics?

Probably in the $100 to $150 range.

4. warchild69

warchild69 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My uncle just gave me one that's in decen t shape. He got it for about 80 bucks 10-12 years ago. I'd check gunbroker and see if they have any for sale on there in comparible condition. As for markings take the stock off and look towards the front of the reciever, I found mine was made in '42 in australia. I found a site with alot of info on them, and they also had replacement parts and mags available. I dont rember what it was though. As long as it shoots well and the bore is nice, it should be a decent rifle. Remember though, they kick like a mule.

5. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    unless its a rare variant, 100-150 sounds right depending on quality. This isn't greatly in depth but will give you an idea of things Lee-Enfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia