Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by z90808, Nov 14, 2012.

1. z90808

z90808 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all today i picked up my xd 9mm service model and immediately took it apart for a cleaning and then took it to the range to go through her first 300 rounds. This is my first handgun ownership wise and i am very pleased with my purchase. i have all you guys to thank since i was set on the glock until i read through the forums here.

one thing though, i noticed that when i was breech feeding a round and i released the slide slowly (seeing how quietly i could chamber a round haha), the slide would not fully return to battery. i would say it returns just a quarter of an inch short from battery. visually all i could see was maybe the extractor hook was not hitting the back of the shell hard enough to wrap around the lip. i actually was surprised at how much force it actually required going forward to go fully forward. is this normal?

also a random question but how much oil should i be putting on slide and outside the breech. enough to leave a fingerprint? i dont want to gunk it up with oil but i already see wear on parts and want to maintain it as best as possible

thanks

2. Devin.Morris.007

Devin.Morris.007 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on your XD and welcome to the forum.

If by breech feeding, you mean locking the slide back, dropping a round in and releasing the slide, I wouldn't do that unless you want to tear up the extractor. Its a good idea to always load with the magazine. If you want to carry one in the chamber, load with the magazine, drop the magazine, then top it off.

As for the oil, I just make sure that all moving parts and anything that has metal to metal contact have oil on them. Then wipe down the slide with a rag with a little bit of oil just to protect the finish. If you are worried about fingerprints, Seems like all of Springfield's stock finishes are fingerprint magnets. I don't have any experience with their custom shop finishes (Armory Kote, Black T, etc) to know if they are any better.

But as far as showing wear goes, they all show a little bit of wear, even after only a few rounds. My XDS only has 100 rounds through it and its already showing a little bit of wear. Thats normal though. You use/carry a gun and its going to show some wear.

3. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    You shouldnt ride the slide as they call it.

Congrats on the new XD. If you are worried about noise when racking then leave it racked.

4. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It doesn't have the same mechanics as a rifle, you shouldn't breech feed it. You risk chipping your extractor, which is what's holding it from going all the way into battery. You're gonna see wear on the surfaces no matter what, it's inevitable. But all you're really seeing is some of the coating wearing off, not metal, which is completely to be expected. Read the manual, it tells you where to oil, and how much to use.

5. libertad

libertad XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Plus, the manual tells you to only load from the magazine. When a round feeds from the mag, it slips up and under the extractor rather than forcing the extractor to ride over the rim of the casing as the slide slams home. Next time you manually rack your slide, close it slowly and watch how the cartridge is always kept captive and that the extractor does not move.

6. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 5
    how so?

7. Poneill.45

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, if you wanna be technical, it does have the same mechanics as a rifle. But you can't deny the inner mechanisms function differently. Can you?

8. Knightslugger

Ratings:
    +29 / 5
    ARs and AKs hinge. Rem700's bend. the case always rides over the extractor and the extractor deflects to get it mounted in the bolt. the XD is absolutely no different during breach loads. The mechanism might be different (hinge vs leaf), but they are all sprung to move out of the way.

9. libertad

libertad XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The difference is that many rifles are designed for the extractor to ride over the case every time it is loaded. The extractor in an XD is designed to tolerate a breach load, but not necessarily to endure many of them. The extractor in my bolt action rifle is hardened steel and the pressure is applied by a separate spring. The extractor in the XD is a spring itself, which has much different wear characteristics than hardened steel.

10. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wrong: The rifle extractors slip over the cartridge befor the bolt enters an enclosed area. It is free to move to the side because the side is open. When you try to breach load an XD and drop a round into the chamber the tip of the extractor enters an enclosed space before it tries to override the case. This enclosed area does not have enough free space to allow the extractor to move over the rim without binding. Every time you load it that way the extractor is squeesed past the case and causes a binding force. This will eventually break the extractor.

11. Poneill.45

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Couldn't have answered better myself.

12. z90808

z90808 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the responses! such a helpful community here

my question has been answered perfectly. with the oil situation, i did read the manual and watched videos of people cleaning and i just wast sure about the amount to apply. i guess ill eventually figure out the happy medium as i do more cleanings. and yes the wear looks to be normal wear that i have seen on other handguns i have used, i just wasnt sure how long it took to start appearing (hence why i thought i maybe wasnt putting on enough oil to lubricate the parts causing fast wearing).

ill stick to loading from the magazine from now on

13. Knightslugger

Ratings:
    +29 / 5
    *facepalm*

okay. spring steel is designed to flex over and over and over. It is it's inhearent nature. for the amount of flexing required to break that steel from flex... you know what, it's not worth debating. It's not going to break from the occasional drop. debate about it all you like, it's semantics.

Ray, you should rethink what you told me. think about the process an AR/AK goes through in slow motion. the cartridge doesn't seat inside the bolt until it is centered in the chamber. at that point the hook of the extracter MUST ride over the rim of the case, and is maintained by a spring.

14. z90808

z90808 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i thought by the looks of the extractor that it had enough room to flex around the lip of the shell. using the rounded part as a swivel point.

Attached Files:

15. Knightslugger

Ratings:
    +29 / 5
    it doesn't swivel.