Brand new XD9 ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Ofna, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Ofna

Ofna XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering what type of ammo you guys recommend or use on your xd9? Are you guys using steel core or copper? I'm currently in my 10 day hold, 7 more days and I get to take it out to the range for the first time. I'm planning to stock up on ammo now and be ready for next Saturday:). Thanks in advance for all the feed back!!

2. vipzach

vipzach XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XD will shoot anything I put in it. Generally I buy my range ammo at acedemy, because it is cheaper than the gun range. I would use the steel casing from walmartm but my range doesn't allow it.

3. Gnarlet

Gnarlet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We usually run by walmart and pick up the 250 packs of Remington UMC ammo.

4. Murr1525

Murr1525 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cheaper the better....

Though good stuff for self defense.

Steel only would matter if your range did not allow it.

5. dave2

dave2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saturday I'm going to shoot Sellier & Bellot through my XD9. I'm also going to try the WWB from Walmart and the Remington UMC I got somewhere. It's going to be hot out there but I will have fun.

Dave

6. dave2

dave2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep looking for the 250 Mega Pack UMC in 9mm at Walmart and at Academy but they are both out for now. This is probably the cheapest way to go.

7. ZeroSeVen

ZeroSeVen XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Find the cheapest factory ammo you can find and stock up.

I have been very happy with Magtech, Sellier & Bellot and PMC Bronze all in 155 gr. Buy multiple boxes or in bulk online and you can get them for as low as $10.26 per box.

8. Croesius

Croesius XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on buying in bulk. I went with 1,000 rounds of Sellier & Bellot, got it for something like $190 off bulkammo. They're listed in the site sponsors area, really quick turnaround.

9. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Steel core? Copper? For practice, I use cheap FMJ from Wal-Mart or bulk from Georgia Arms or another bulk supplier. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +p for SD. I also like Corbon's 115 gr. +p DPX.

10. Pucknut

Pucknut XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For range and practice, I use the cheapest stuff I can find, steel or brass. Lately is has been Tulaamo from WalMart, under $10 a box. For carry ammo, I use CorBon DPX (124 gr in 9mm, 165 gr in 40 S&W and 200 gr in 45 ACP).

11. brandon_

brandon_ XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Do what everyone is saying. Shoot whatever the cheapest stuff you can find is and carry the good stuff.

I have no problems shooting Blazer at local matches.

12. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Not steel core. Steel core bullets are not legal in pistol calibers. There are brass, steel and aluminum cases. Mostly depends on whether you want to save brass for reloading (or give/sell to someone that reloads). Steel and aluminum are often the cheapest and should function fine in an XD or XDm. Competition or where ever you cannot pick up your brass cases are also good sites for using the other case material.
    Steel and aluminum do not seal in the chamber quite as well as brass, so the chamber area will get more debris accumulations. Have not read of much problem in XD or XDm. (In AR type rifles, sometimes going directly to the brass cases, they will stick in the chamber due to the more dirt accumulation, after shooting steel. A quick chamber cleaning after using steel cases before switching to brass fixes that.)
    So most anything for practice or when you do not want the cases for reloading, but clean pistol and then quality rounds for SD. Any firearm will usually fine some specific ammo the fires extremely accurate and some that do not group at all. This is individual to each firearm.

13. rgarza06

rgarza06 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yea i had that question also, i was going to start a whole new thread about this subject but im glad i saw this one, so xd 9mm can be steel or brass casings right, it wont hurt the gun? srry im new here and i just bought my xd and i plan on keeping it for a long time, im going to buy that remington umc 250rd brick seems cheap and reliable, what do you all think

14. dfettero

dfettero XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  15. LoneWoodsman

LoneWoodsman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have put nearly 800 rds of the Tulammo 115gr fmj thru my xd9 4inch with maybe 3 ftf's due to the primer being set to deep in the casing. 50 rds at Walmart goes for less than 9 dollars and at reasonable pistol distances it is accurate. Maybe a bit dirty but I love cleaning my guns so it is a non issue for me. I believe that the xd will eat anything so try the cheapest stuff you can find, cause if it works you will get to shoot a hell of a lot more and that is what it is all about.

p.s. sorry you live in California