Springfield XD Forum banner

Booby Traps.....

7K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  AwPhuch 
#1 ·
I just wanna throw a couple 2x4s out in the yard with nails in them and then let the snow cover them up because lately there has been a sum'bitchin creeping around my property late at night. I could just blame it on the black bear problem.... In Chicago.

Well since that's probably frowned upon in a court of law I ended up filling a bunch of beer bottles with rocks and broken and tying them off to a light snare. I'm regretting not setting up a trail cam because I can't even imagine the look on this guys face as he ran down my block with an empty case of beer tied around his ankle

#4 ·
I just wanna throw a couple 2x4s out in the yard with nails in them and then let the snow cover them up because lately there has been a sum'bitchin creeping around my property late at night. I could just blame it on the black bear problem.... In Chicago.

Well since that's probably frowned upon in a court of law I ended up filling a bunch of beer bottles with rocks and broken and tying them off to a light snare. I'm regretting not setting up a trail cam because I can't even imagine the look on this guys face as he ran down my block with an empty case of beer tied around his ankle
So whats wrong with leaving boards with nails in them in the yard? Its a busy time of the year. Maybe you didn't have time to clean up after you demolished the "old shed" that was outin the yard. I hear ya though. I don't like the idea of someone snooping around.

#6 ·
Yeah I know. Its unfortunate and stupid.

Even a fenced in yard?

If someone is jn my yard looking in the window and Kahn my 160# English Mastiff takes a nice snack outta his a$$ laws aint gonna help said a$$hole much are they?

#13 · (Edited)
we live in a fairly nice neighborhood outside of the city limits. we've had a lot of cars broken into and mail stolen from our boxes. we had our first neighborhood watch meeting this week and it will be in full swing right after the new year. we are about to buy a surveillance system. but nothing says "i gotcha" like physically catching the guy (guys). for the past two Saturdays and Sundays I wake up at 1am, open my garage, and turn off all the lights and cop a squat in a chair. every 30 minutes I make a quick walk around the property and on the side of the road making sure to stay in the shadows. my "shift" ends about 3:30 am. IMO, if the thieves are working overtime to harass and steal from me, I gotta do SOMETHING.
during our neighborhood watch meeting I got the stink eye from several people. I said something to the effect of, "phone trees and email notifications are feel good plans but when the rubber meets the road, we cant laydown at night and hope the boogy man leaves us alone. we have to work as a community to solve the community problems, and THAT will take physical leg work from all of us".

#17 ·
we live in a fairly nice neighborhood outside of the city limits. we've had a lot of cars broken into and mail stolen from our boxes. we had our first neighborhood watch meeting this week and it will be in full swing right after the new year. we are about to buy a surveillance system. but nothing says "i gotcha" like physically catching the guy (guys). for the past two Saturdays and sundays I wake up at 1am, open my garage, and turn off all the lights and cop a squat in a chair. every 30 minutes I make a quick walk around the property and on the side of the road making sure to stay in the shadows. my "shift" ends about 3:30 am. IMO, if the thieves are working overtime to harass and steal from me, I gotta do SOMETHING.
during our neighborhood watch meeting I got the stink eye from several people. I said something to the effect of, "phone trees and email notifications are feel good plans but when the rubber meets the road, we cant laydown at night and hope the boogy man leaves us alone. we have to work as a community to solve the community problems, and THAT will take physical leg work from all of us".
You have to make sure you know your state's-county's-city's laws about what you can and can't do in the protection of your property. You have to know where your authority ends, usually at your neighbor's property line.

In a recent case where a certain neighborhood watch guy ended up taking down an unarmed teen doing nuthin' but makin' a skittles and tea run, every aspect of your life, including the neighborhood watch organization (or lack thereof) will be under a microscope.

I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your property, you should. I can do so with deadly force in my area. Even so, there are limitations, and I would have to answer for every word I ever said to my family, neighbors, even here.

Not a pleasant thought, really. One of the factors that makes me consider it all, though, is there's a very real possibility I'll have to deal with it. Anyone lawless enough to break and enter almost surely able to harm or murder under the wrong circumstances.

#19 ·
Really want to make them wet themselves?....set up a motion sensor, then tie it to a really loud horn, or air raid siren, anything that makes them wished they'd stayed at home......not to mention you get the added benefit of waking up the neighborhood and really making a ruckus!

#22 ·
Let me help you out because you clearly do not fully understand. The rifles are to be used from the sniper's nest. Should someone of unsavory character breach the perimeter of the sniper's nest they would then employ the round house kicks and such, and obviously...the headbands.

I probably should have sent this in a PM so you would not look so foolish. :-D

#23 ·
One other thing, there are some booby traps that are perfectly legal. My wife used them to trap me back in 1987. Yes, you can escape this style of booby trap but it very expensive requires a lawyer in most states.

#24 ·
Please try not to kill another one of Obama's "sons."

#26 ·
I vote for the motion sensor floodlights, silent alarms and video cameras. They are all very effective except during violent storms, but you are usually up at that time anyway.
Top it off with a dog and your perimeter house alarm system and self-defense weapons, you are good to go. Having a dog is great vehicle protection too.

The entrance to my neighborhood is on one road with a camera that takes video of every vehicle or person coming in or out with a timestamp. It is paid for by the HOA and maintained by a volunteer. Helps to know who is coming in and out.

#28 ·
I vote for the motion sensor floodlights, silent alarms and video cameras. They are all very effective except during violent storms, but you are usually up at that time anyway.
Top it off with a dog and your perimeter house alarm system and self-defense weapons, you are good to go. Having a dog is great vehicle protection too.

The entrance to my neighborhood is on one road with a camera that takes video of every vehicle or person coming in or out with a timestamp. It is paid for by the HOA and maintained by a volunteer. Helps to know who is coming in and out.
the LEO I just mentioned in my last post responded to a vehicle burglary about half a mile from our house. the residents have video cameras and they have the person on camera being dropped off by a white challenger SRT and entering their vehicle. problem is, no license plate was visible.

#30 ·
I agree about the roof koreans. problem is, it didn't seem to work out very well for the oath keepers recently in ferguson. they got shut down.
sh!t, now a days if you hire a roof (anything) you would be labeled a racist and YOUR property would be first on the TO-BURN-LIST.

#38 ·
This may be worth reading......a home owner left his garage door partly open, places a purse in view, then shoots an intruder....home owner convicted of deliberate homicide.....Correction Exchange Student Shot story - Yahoo News
'Three witnesses testified they heard Kaarma say his house had been burglarized and he'd been waiting up nights to shoot an intruder.'

#39 ·
Remember the horrible disturbing audio recording of the old guy killing the 2 young intruders? If you are planning on hunting human beings or waiting in your tree stand for human beings, your best bet is to not talk about it.

#42 ·
This may be worth reading......a home owner left his garage door partly open, places a purse in view, then shoots an intruder....home owner convicted of deliberate homicide.....Correction Exchange Student Shot story - Yahoo News
'Three witnesses testified they heard Kaarma say his house had been burglarized and he'd been waiting up nights to shoot an intruder.'
I wait for people while in my open garage. but I don't bait them while having a plan to blast them and yell "castle doctrine!!" when i'm charged.

#44 ·
Have a friend that is a homebuilder. At 3:00am, medics were called to a job site. Two 16 year old boys, both with extensive police records, needed medical attention.

The boys broke into a gated job site, broke into a house under construction, went to the top floor, and one boy fell out a 'roughed-in' window opening. Broken back.

The evidence indicated the boys were drinking, smoking dope, and there was some kind of fight between the boys. The boy who fell sued the homebuilder for his injuries. The other boy sued for emotional distress. The boys lost, all the lawyers won. :(

#45 ·
One other thing, there are some booby traps that are perfectly legal. My wife used them to trap me back in 1987. Yes, you can escape this style of booby trap but it very expensive requires a lawyer in most states.
On a related note, please keep in mind that "booby trap" spelled backwards is "party boob". Food for thought.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ryno785
#48 ·
Some were, some weren't. The black business owners were grateful to both :)

Roof Koreans are def still cooler, but if you can't afford them, dangerous old men will do.
Roof Korean Vet's are even better! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.