Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got one?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by usmcxd, Mar 26, 2010.

1. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    HELP PLEASE!!!

I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their construction, experience with durability, recoil, practicality, different barrels, etc.

I've seen the Snake Slayer 3.5", the Snake Slayer 4.25", as well as the Ranger 4.25". I've noted these because of their "Extended Grips" which really make a difference when considering the size of my hands.

Here are a few questions that I have for those of you who can reflect and respond: (When responding, please provide which BA revolver you own)

1.) What is the recoil like between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels? Is it really measurable?

2.) What is the overall rating and thoughts on the 45 Colt / 410 barrel? What is the maximum effective distance that you've been able to note thus far with the 410 round (and which 410 shot were you using)? How did the 45 Colt round handle?

3.) Trigger guard make a big difference? I know it is mainly a personal preference, but just curious what most are preferring out there.

4.) What type of holster carry options are you using with your Bond Arms Derringer of choice? IWB, OWB, Driving Concealed Holster style,etc.?

5.) Carry extra shells / rounds with you? If so, how do you carry them (speed strips, loose, belt strip, holster with extra round loops, etc.)?

6.) Overall rating of Bond Arms service and response times on any issues that you may have had with your BA revolver?

7.) Feel free to share any other thoughts, observations, issues, or complaints that you have on these interesting little pocket canons.

Thank you for your time and consideration in sharing here.

2. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I did a little research on the Bond Arms derringers before I bought my NAA .22lr mini-revolver. The larger caliber option was the primary attraction, but they only have two shots, and are bigger than they seem. So, I decided that having a five shot .22 in a smaller, easier to carry package, trumped having two .45 rounds in a larger gun.

3. choctaw

choctaw XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    They ARE made in TEXAS, is there anything else that needs to be said????

Seriously though they are very well made and I like the size, myself. With that cal. I think it would be tough to shoot in a smaller frame.

4. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    Thank you for stopping by.

I understand fully, which that was my initial thought, until someone said that putting two (2) of the "000" buck shells in it with the 5 pellets each would be like spraying 3-5 shots at one time.

They do appear to be well made, but just never shot one.

5. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    My thoughts too, but I looked up some Youtube videos on the Snake Slayers and from what I am seeing in the video, the 1911 .45 pistol had more recoil than the 410/45 combo. It would be nice to have the opportunity to shoot one "prior" to purchasing one. :shock:

We'll see what happens. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

6. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    Personally, I don't consider the .410 a good defensive choice, particuarly out of a handgun. It just plain doesn't have the power out of such a short barrel to get proper penetration to make it a reliable stopper.

Given the size of what you;re looking at--I'd rather have a good, reliable, multi-shot pistol in a conventional caliber than those two any day.

Also, I've fired the standard derringer (I think it was a Bond) in .45 Colt. The are quite a handfull, and I can't say as I cared for it.

There are muche better choices for a defensive pistol imho.

7. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    Thanks for your reply. I have several concealed carry options presently (Ruger LCP, XD40SC, etc.), but I saw one of the Snake Slayers this last week and it looked well made and has provoked some Q&A for me. Just interested in hearing the feedback, and specifically, the Bond Arms derringers, because from what I've heard, none of the others on the market can compare to it, but again, that is an "opinion."

Enjoy your weekend~

8. coconutdave

coconutdave XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife has one of the snakeslayers in .410/.45 colt. It's not as bad as you would think. Hers has the 3.5" barrels. She carries it sometimes but she carries her M&P9c the most. She uses an IWB holster. And it's very well made. It does OK out to about 6-7 yds. with any buckshot, or colt load.

9. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    Thanks for stopping by.

They do appear to be very well made, as I have seen several of the different models. I was curious, what is your thought on the difference between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels on the Snake Slayers? Much difference (recoil, distance, etc.)?

10. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    They nice guns and fun toys. But i would not want to carry it they are large and heavy for what they are. I would much rather carry my NAA pug or Black widow.

11. coconutdave

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have only shot the one we have so I can't comment on the other barrel lengths.

12. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    OK - Thanks!

13. Tercel89

Tercel89 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Anyone got any pics of these guns ? This is a good topic and I havent read a thread on here or any other gun forum about the little derringer type revolvers . Good topic and it has me wondering about them as an option when like riding my mountian bike .

14. usmcxd

usmcxd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 16
    Well folks, I have spent some time at the range with my recently acquired Bond Arms Snake Slayer 4 and it was an enjoyable experience. I have the .45 Long Colt / 410 shotgun combination barrel version and it is totally manageable.

It was nothing like I had heard "some" people state and I am glad to have it among my firearm family. When you have the opportunity, you ought to check these little pocket canons out, but be on notice now, you just may get addicted to it.

A great, well made firearm. Love it~

15. coconutdave

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear you like it.