Bill aims to honor concealed weapons permits nationwide

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by czlight, Apr 30, 2008.

1. czlight

czlight XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WASHINGTON - A bill introduced into Congress this week would force every state to recognize a concealed-weapons permit issued in another state, a move that would make Utah's permit even more of a prize nationwide.
    Utah has one of the more easily obtainable permits - an applicant need not even set foot in the state - and the permit is recognized in 32 other states. The Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act, dubbed the SAFE Act by supporters, would force the other 17 states to honor the Utah permit or another issued by a carrier's home state.
    The bill, introduced this week and co-sponsored by Utah GOP Rep. Chris Cannon, includes the caveat that the permit holder would have to abide by the state's laws on where the firearm can't be carried, such as churches or schools.
    Cannon backs the bill because he says the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to carry and own a weapon and that right doesn't end at the state line.
    "You no more give up that right leaving Utah than you give up your right to freely exercise your faith," Cannon says. "This legislation is an important effort to help make that clear - as a matter of federal law."
    As of the end of March, Utah has more than 112,000 valid permits registered, according to the Bureau of Criminal Identification. Of those, about 38,300 have been issued to out-of-state residents.

Utah's concealed-weapons permit has been referred to as a national permit because it can be issued to anyone - even foreign nationals - who passes certification and is not barred by law from obtaining a weapon. Other states have more restrictions on issuing such permits.
    Steve Gunn, a board member of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah, says the bill would compromise the general concept of a state's ability to pass laws restricting concealed weapons. Several states, such as California and New Jersey, have a different burden for obtaining a concealed-firearm permit.
    "The bill would detract from the ability of a particular state to regulate the carrying of concealed weapons," Gunn says. "I don't see why Utah should be able to dictate to California whether a concealed weapon can be carried in that state."
    "It just sounds to me like a really bad idea," Gunn added.
    The SAFE Act faces a tough legislative road, however. Previous incarnations have made it as far as a House committee hearing, but never advanced to a full vote. And with Congress controlled by Democrats, the bill may not get a hearing this year.
    Larry Pratt, the executive director of the Virginia-based Gun Owners of America, the group pushing the SAFE bill, says the legislation should create some uniformity in the hodgepodge of state laws across the nation.
    The bill is similar to the constitutional protections for drivers who have a license issued in one state and who are traveling in another, Pratt says.
    "You don't have to take a driver's test when you go from Virginia to D.C.," he says.
    tburr@sltrib.com

2. tomfoolery

tomfoolery XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Good stuff....Except Illinois im sure;)

3. yeahYeah

yeahYeah XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0
    And NY, DC, Cali i am sure...but they aren't really part of the United States

4. Steve_o113

Steve_o113 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you go about obtaining a Utah CCL?

5. m9fan

m9fan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a Texas CHL holder I'd like to see this happen, but I ain't holdin' my breath...

6. cschwanz

cschwanz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This would be great if it happened, but we'll see. My IN permit has me covered for 99% of my travel needs anyay, but itd be cool to see this go through

7. Bree

Bree XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Much needed legislation. There is great risk traveling on the basis of the current system. States change their laws and some allow local pre-emption so you either have to become an expert in the laws of countless states, counties, and cities or you don't always know if you are committing a felony. When you cross a state where you have no reciprocity, you are totally reliant on the Federal interstate transport rule. Some states will prosecute you even though they know they will lose in court like Massachusetts.

I support this initiative.
    ;););)

8. yeahYeah

yeahYeah XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0
    i would love to have a CCW for cali and new york since those are the 2 states i frequent. fat chance in hell though.

i signed up for my CCW class and i can ge my utah permit as well. its like $30 more.

9. whitenoise

whitenoise XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i would love to see this go through seeing as we dont have any concealed carry here(WI). This would force them to allow concealed carry and possibly create a WI permit.

10. DRH

DRH XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

We reside in Plano Texas and also have ranch prope
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can bet that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are eager to let this get to the floor of the House and Senate for a vote...NOT!!! :twisted:

11. XD9Sub

XD9Sub XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This would be great! It would force the issue on IL and WI, the only states with no CCW. If the Supreme Court rules favorably on the 2nd amendment (we should know by late-June), this would be an added bonus.

However, I'm pretty sure it would take a conservative majority in the House (which we don't have) and a filibuster proof super majority of 60 in the Senate, which we don't have and most likely will not have in the next 4-8yrs (if ever). Then we would need a President who would sign it.

These are some very tall mountains to climb for a national CCW:(

12. dave11b

dave11b XDTalk Newbie

ft stewart, ga/ grapevine, tx/ anbar prov. Iraq
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    great stuff! i doubt it will pass though. i dont worry too much i spend most of my time in the south anyway.

13. tenring

tenring XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Come now, theres no need for anyone to own a gun in that liberal utopia between the lakes is there?

This would be a good thing for me since I regularly travel through IL and WI and my permit means jack squat there. Every other state I have driven through in the last 3 years honors my permit!

The law does allow states to regulate permit holders even from other states, it just doesn't allow them to violate the rights of those who aren't their residents. Permit holders would still have to follow the Carry laws of the states they were in, it just wouldn't allow them to prohibit it completely. There should already have been lawsuits over this issue, since my rights shouldn't be affected by an imaginary line on a map.

14. Harry_Ballzack

Harry_Ballzack XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't have a snowballs chance in hell of actually getting a CCL in The State of NJ...Whilst NJ does allow CCL...try and get one...they will drag out the process and aren't required to operate within any time frame before they actually get around and issue one to an applicant..I mean , this is coming from the state that requires a firearms license for a BB gun.:wink:

15. EricCartmann

EricCartmann XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad I ponied up extra for the Utah permit. If this Bill passes, CA would have no choice but to follow suite.