BIG PROBLEM! Shell jammed in barrel!

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by jn_fsu, Mar 21, 2010.

1. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My brother and I went to the range today. When he was firing his Beretta 92fs it jammed. We tried racking the slide several times but it won't budge. Its actually stuck out of battery leaving the slide partially racked. The slide will not budge even a little.
    Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Is it loaded? Call Customer Service...

3. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Can you safely see if there is a round in the chamber? Squib?

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Were you shooting reloads? Round out of spec, stuck halfway in the chamber. Keeping your fingers away from the trigger, hold the slide firmly with one hand slap the pack of the handgaurd with the other. Slap it forward away from you.

5. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We were both shooting Winchester Nato 9mm 124 gr. FMJ. Which on the back of the box states "These cartridges are loaded to military velocity and pressure which is higher than 9mm Luger cartridges; average pressure is 10% higher than industry standard pressure for 9mm Luger." I pick them up when I'm traveling at Academy Sports chains. I gone thru about 200-300 rounds in my old XDm 9mm never had a problem. I had 2 FTEs with my CZ P01 and he had one FTE with the empty brass lodging in the barrel. There is no round in the barrel. He used a flash light to look and there is just an empty brass lodged in the barrel. It also looks like there may be a hair line crack in the slide where it chambers a new round. It has had alot of FTEs ever since hes had it. He got it from a friend, who originally picked it up at a gun show used. I got him a Wilson Combat spring kit for Xmas and he replaced the recoil spring with a slightly higher # which helped alot on the FTEs. But every so often it would still FTE. So it's not a total suprise something happened. he's going to take it to a Gun Smith and have it looked at and see what damage, if any, has been done and see what it will take to fix it.

6. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The brass appears to be fully lodged in the barrel up to the butt flush. Also when you look at the pick where the hammer is we were trying to figure out if the gap you see in the square ring where the hammer strikes is suppose to be seperated like it is or if thats another result of the jam. Don't have another Beretta here to look at and compare unfourtunately.

7. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 5
    Sounds like your extractor is not working properly, but I don't think that wouldn't have caused the problem. Possible problem with the locking block.
    If there is no bullet and it IS an empty case, swing the takedown lever down and take the slide off the frame and go from there.
    That ammo is pretty much the only ammo I use in all my 9mm, it is loaded to less than +P pressures and should not have caused any probe at all in that gun.
    Unfortunately since it is a Beretta you are screwed as far as any sort of warranty is concerned.
    I've crossposted this over at the Beretta forum.

8. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is normal.

9. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for cross posting for me. The take down lever goes down as normal but the slide won't budge even then. I read this on another page and wonder if maybe is was the same problem thats why the slide is locked part of the added safety feature.

10. NVXD

NVXD XDTalk 1K Member

Northern Nevada. The good part of the state.
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I HOPE there is nothing in the barrel.

As mentioned before, hold slide firmly (and pointed in a safe direction), and open right hand like you are going to grasp the pistol.

Strike sharply with the area between thumb and forefinger/web of hand. This usuall unlocks a stuck slide. May take a couple blows.

NVXDRanger

11. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would take it to a gunsmith.

12. NDB_MN

NDB_MN XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This method has worked well for me with a stuck round I encountered in my XDm. In that case it was a live round.

Helps if you brace the front sight or the nose of the slide against the edge of a block of wood or a table (use the edge so you still allow the barrel room to protrude). Striking with the web of your hand into the back of the grip or even more 'karate' style chop will typically dislodge even a very stuck case.

Took me 3 solid 'whacks' and the offending round ejected from my gun. We were absolutely unable to move the slide at all by hand prior to hitting it.

I've heard of this method working in many other instances too. The 'worst' result I heard of was an instance where the extractor bent down the rim of the case and the brass stayed lodged in the barrel - but the gun was at least unstuck and could then be disassembled to remove the brass form the barrel via ye olde wooden dowel method.

13. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tried the hand smack trick nothing happened other then getting a sore hand. I tried bracing the slide on the edge of a wooden table. It resulted in a chipped table and no slide movement what so ever. He's just going to take it to a gun smith. But thanks for all the suggestions.

14. evilmugg

evilmugg XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own a 96FS and have had this happen a couple times.

To fix this, simply tap the pin below the barrel with a rubber mallet until it is flush to the frame. Once it is flush, release the upper receiver like you normally would.

15. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    The gunsmith will probably use a rubber hammer and a stronger table! :cool: