Springfield XD Forum banner

Bi-Tone or All Black?

17K views 72 replies 52 participants last post by  sergeant 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that I've figured out where to get my Mod 2, I'm curious to what everyone thinks about the Bi-Tone vs. The All Black. I've had individuals tell me that when its black, your eyes pick up the sights easier than if it was silver or had a more metallic color. Any truth to this? Anyone have preferences? Or is it all the same and just up to the shooter?

My 1911 is black and I've never shot anything that had a Bi-tone/color to it, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Again, all responses and opinions are greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
I have a bitone Sig and a black XDM. I like the look of a bitone better, but that's just me!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Personal preference, get what YOU like.

I prefer solid black, but then again, the Starbuck headquarters is only about 20 miles from where I am currently located, I might need to stop there for a discussion of bi-tone color relations :lol:

Seriously, every weapon I own is a potential self-defense weapon, and black in color. I prefer a solid, muted color so it does not attract attention. If I had a weapon for range use or other non self-defense purpose, I would consider other colors, including nickel, chrome, or stainless finish.

Do what works for you.

Best wishes!

#13 ·
Find a local gun store that has both black and bi-tone...personally look at them, then decide.

All but two of my guns are black...one is FDE and one is the bi-tone XD9 Mod 2. The bi-tone looks GOOD.

Either way wouldn't be wrong...

#16 ·
Depends. If you want to sell it later, get black. If you want to keep it forever, get bi-tone. I got an XDM bitone, and might have sold it if it were all black. Sold my all black XDS and got a bitone XDS.

For me, the black is a tool that can be traded, sold, etc. The bitone can also be a tool, but is also more of a work of art.

#19 ·
Wow, a lot of black! I have black but would love a bi-tone instead. But to each his own.

And welcome from Ohio.

#22 ·
Well I chose bi tone for my mod.2 but only because I've never owned a bi tone handgun. One thing I can tell you for sure is you can definitely tell where it's dirty, I went back and recleaned my black handguns cause I realized I wasn't doing enough cleaning. Either way you get a winner!

#27 ·
This. I have had so many stainless slide/bi tone guns that I have used in my daily carry, that developed rust spots rather quickly. Never again will I buy a stainless gun. The last one I had was a kahr pm9, it rusted pretty fast, sold it. All black from then on.

#25 ·
Black.

#26 ·
I prefer my handguns to be all black. I prefer the appearance, as opposed to a silver/ stainless slide. I also prefer melonite/nitride, over whatever coating they use for the bi-tone. It's a durability and ease of maitinance thing for me too.

But as members have said above, but what floats your boat. I wouldn't worry too much about your eyes picking up on sight picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.