better method of CC carry

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by zimtown, Jan 2, 2013.

1. zimtown

zimtown XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty new here. Earned my PTC here about a month ago. Purchesed a SA XD .40 as my first handgun. So, getting to the point: I have been adjusting to CC and currently use a Galco Kingtuk. Mostly happy with the comfort and retention. I carry @ 3-4 o'clock but feel I have an issue with printing the bottom of the grip.
    I have raised the clips to lowest holster position. What else can I do to minimize the end of the grip printing?

2. Spammy_H

Spammy_H XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    What you're finding is probably what everyone has when they first begin to carry - they feel like there's a big sign drawn on the side of their body that says "I'M CARRYING A GUN!!!" and every little crease screams CONCEALED WEAPON from their hip.

In actuality, 99.999% of the population has no idea that you have a concealed weapon. The .001% are most likely other CC'ers, who out of respect wouldn't say anything to you in public.

I used to be paranoid when carrying. Now about 3/4 of the time, I use an OWB holster and an untucked shirt. When social situations call for something more discreet, my tuckable IWB holster does nicely.

Either way, no one has a clue that I'm carrying.

3. ship4brains

ship4brains XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For quite a while, my wife never even knew when I had "something" with me....till I told her. Now she has made a bad habit of "patting" me right there to see which one I have :) LOL

Never does she do this in public, though.

4. szhttm

szhttm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What gun belt are you using:?:

If you are not using a belt dedicated to carring firearms on the belt, I would highly suggest it. They make a huge difference.

I personally like and use the Crossbreed belts. If you are interested in trying one of these, check out this thread:
    Once at the web site above, just click on the word "Belt" at the top of the screen. Make sure you size it correctly before making an order.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
    :cool:

5. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Having you tried adjusting the angle the gun sits at on you hip? Pointing the end of the grip more upright helps some people. Back clip on my crossbreed is in bottom hole , while the front is in center hole. Helps me.

Good luck and take care.

6. GaugedFreak

GaugedFreak XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm carrying a Full Size Sig 1911 STX on me right now. I have a Kholster IWB holster that has a pretty agressive cant on it and the top of my pant is about even with the front of the Kydex at about 3:30. A bigger tshirt (black seems best) or a second cover shirt and you can't even tell it's there. Cant is your friend when it comes to larger handled handguns. I work on computers so I'm sitting all day, with this gun on me (office in a friends garage.) It's comfortable enough to handle all day. My tactical belt should be here today, which I can't wait for. I've found that as the day goes on the weight starts to pull on my pants more, and I'm in between notches on my belt.

Carrying does require a change in dress, and mind set but as Spammy said, a lot it is just getting adjusted to having it and not feeling like you have that sign on you.

7. dingo981

dingo981 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The Springfield XDM has an long grip frame which will always " print". Dillion sells a nice belt holster and a good gun belt (by Mitch Rosen). I wore it for years. It's well made and comfortable. I always bought my T shirts one size larger. Currently I carry a Ruger LC9 in a Mitch Rosen holster. It rides high and is VERY comfortable. The holster is custom made and costs $75.00.

8. NEVRL8T

NEVRL8T XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like a few posters have said, a good belt will help. Try a belt from TheBeltMan or Volund Gearworks or Ares. I like the Ares Ranger Enhanced PALS. This is what I have: Ranger Belt, Enhanced, PALS - $114.99 : Ares Gear