Springfield XD Forum banner

Best way to clean my AR barrel?

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  joshua79109 
#1 ·
I have an RRA with a Predator Pursuit upper, s/s match barrel, etc. On my XD and Sig pistols, to clean their barrels, I first run a bore brush through them a few times, then a mop with Hoppes #9 through it, wet an old tooth brush with the same Hoppes and scrub the breach and anywhere else carbon is built up. I then let the barrel soak in the Hoppes while I clean the rest of the firearm and mags. Then I will wipe the outside of the barrel down, and run a bore snake through it several times, then spray the barrel down with a light coating of Rem oil, and reassemble.

I have a chamber brush for the AR, and plan on getting a solid rod, something that wont damage the crown (like a Dewey rod?) for using my .22 bore brush, and following my same pistol process for the AR barrel. Anyone see any problems with this? I dont like using the patches anymore since I started using the bore snakes.

#6 ·
Forget the Bore Snake. Get the Dewey or other good cleaning rod and a bore guide. Always clean from the breech. Do use patches. Do use a good solvent, like Butch's Bore Shine.

If that crappy Bore Snake ever breaks off in your barrel (several threads about this!), you'll regret the day you ever bought the Bore Snake.

#7 ·
Great info guys, keep it coming.

Mercmar, "Always clean from the breechAlways clean from the breech", I assume you mean the direction should be pulled/pushed from the breech through the barrel? IOW, the cleaning should follow the path of the bullet?

Can someone enlighten me as to what difference it makes? Curious mind.

#8 ·
>>If that crappy Bore Snake ever breaks off in your barrel (several threads about this!), you'll regret the day you ever bought the Bore Snake.<<

Ditto that. You're better off cleaning your gun the "old fashioned" way.

#9 ·
i use the bore snake/OTiS kits when i want to clean, used then the time i was in iraq never any trouble.

#12 · (Edited)
WTH??? Totally uncalled for. Why dont you crawl back under the rock you came out from under.

Using a bore guide and cleaning from the breech usually prevents damage to the barrel's crown.

If you happen to find yourself in Iraq, then I suppose a bore guide with cleaning rod would be a little cumbersome. Otherwise, get the bore guide and cleaning rod! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.