Best spyderco EDC?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel' started by howler86, Dec 1, 2012.

1. howler86

howler86 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking for new EDC and I am fond to the the spyderco brand. Any suggestions?

2. rmccracken

rmccracken XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Harpy ..... Been carrying a all stainless harpy for 14 years.

[​IMG]

If I could find the Carbon Fiber Harpy somewhere I would buy it in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

3. AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Depends on how much you have to spend. If you're short of cash I'd recommend the Tenacious, which was my first Spyderco blade and is outstanding especially for the price. The Persistence, a smaller version of the Tenacious is also a great EDC choice. The Delica 4 FFG would also be outstanding. I have an Endura 4 FFG which I love, but I don't recommend it as an EDC/utility blade as it's a 3.75" blade which is too long for my utility tasks (I carry the Endura for defensive purposes mostly). The Manix 2 translucent is also a really cool knife if you have the cash for it.

4. wheats

wheats XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got the persistence, delica 4, centofante 3, paramilitary 2, sage 1, manix, & Gayle Bradley all in my edc rotation, but the delica 4 gets the most pocket time by far.

5. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of the sprint run Manix 2 in more interesting steel would be my bet. The only one I ever consistently EDC'ed before I got my HTM Gun Hammer, was the Stag Arms Manix 2 in FFG S30V. Great knife. Sage, Caly3, Para 2, and Gayle Bradley are other popular ones. If you had more of an idea of what you're looking for, it would be easier to give you suggestions though. Blade length? Intended use? Lock style? Budget?

6. b.p.

b.p. XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Delica 4 here. Love it.

7. Clint_Beastwood

Clint_Beastwood XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorites are the Military, Paramilitary, Manix, Native, Pacific Salt, and Endura. Those make great EDCs. I've been carrying my Paramilitary for 5 years and use it for all kinds of stuff. I switch between that or my Benchmade Presidio.

8. Polymerhead

Polymerhead XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    had the Harpy but sold it. I lke a nice sharp plain blade. Have the Endura4 with the wave opener and it's about perfect for letter opening or stabbing and slashing. Kinda thin for prying, hacking or chopping.

Honestly I only carry a knife when I can't carry a gun. Otherwise I have scissors at my desk that can do everything a knife can an a 38 in my pocket is preferrable to a knife for about everyting else. I understand that some folks can't carry every day like others can though.

If I was to buy a cheap beater/utility Spyderco it'd be the Tenacious. Good size, flat grind and G10 handles for a good grip. Not so expensive that breaking or losing it would make you cry.

9. mpak87

mpak87 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been beating various 2nd and 3rd gen Endura and Delica models to death for the last 15 years. I've played with the new ones and like them, but can't say how they hold up to EDC. My current Endura 3 is with me just about all of the time, I use it every day for whatever the task at hand may be. The only difference between Delica and Endura is an inch or so of blade, I'd pick between the two of those. Personally, I find the extra length of the Endura to be a bonus, you have a lot of cutting power available in a rather thin, light and compact knife.

10. deputy tom

deputy tom XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've carried many Spyderco knives over the years and my favorite is the Endura with full spyder-edge. Light weight,strong lock,lots of cutting power/reach, strong point.YMMV. tom.:cool:

11. NoBite

NoBite XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I, too, have an affinity for Spyderco knives. I carried two different Natives for years. Three years ago my wife got me the CF Sage. It's been my EDC ever since. Love it. I have a $400 Chris Reeves knife that stays in the safe. The Sage gets carried. Go figure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. XDarren

XDarren XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had an executive that was my favorite, it sits at the bottom a river now. Currently I have two delicas, one serrated and one plain edge. The plain edge gets the nod as my EDC. Size and utility make it the best for me. The weight of it keeps the wife and kids away from it also. They don't like it when it drops on their toes.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

13. tomtom88

tomtom88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally, I prefer the Native, plain edge only costs about $89. Nice solid blade and the handle is super light. I'm lucky enough to live just a few miles from the Spyderco Factory, I pop by pretty often to check out what their on site store has to offer.

14. LeemaxXD

LeemaxXD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

15. bigred1

bigred1 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Spyderco Tenacious myself. I'm looking to upgrade but still use my Tenacious for EDC. Great knife.......

[​IMG]