Best SOB holster 4 the buck

Discussion in 'M1911' started by mr_payne, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mr_payne

mr_payne XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I carry a SA 1911 full size and im looking for a nice SOB holster, any ideas? The ones ive looked at are nice in the pictures but when held you can tell right away just how poorly they are made and that the leather wouldnt hold out for long. Then their is the top end holsters that for just a plain working man i can't justify spending that kind of price so anyone know of a well made leather holster in the $50 to $70 range?

2. shooterjim

shooterjim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i have carried sob for about 5 years now, i found leather holsters don't fit very well and are not comfortable. i have been using an AMS tactical holster for over 4 years. its forms well to your body, very comfortable, and is holding up very well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

3. mr_payne

mr_payne XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the info shooter i'll check them out

4. shipwreck

shipwreck XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would get a Bladetech or Comptac IWB holster if I were you.

I am using a Comptac Pro Undercover IWB holster for a Beretta 92 - at 3pm carry. Don't get much bigger in size than the Beretta 92FS. A fullsize 1911 would be the same size.

I can conceal it at 3-3:30pm.

I also sometimes use a Bladetech NANO for my USPc45 (this has a fullsize grip)

SOB - I couldn't conceal a gun that size with a t-shirt.

Also, I used to carry SOB (a Glock 26) for years. When I lived in Dallas many years ago, I slipped on some black ice and fell. THANK GOD I was using my Galco Fletch that day. I would have damaged my spine and maybe been paralized that day had I carried SOB that day.

I had seen people comment on the dangers of SOB carry before. After that day - I NEVER carried SOB again.

5. Archer1945

Archer1945 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless there is a major reason to carry SOB, forget it. The danger of major damage to your back if you happen to fall far outweigh the slightly better concealment you might get. Btw, unless you are very skinny or have a very flat stomach any shirt you wear will actually be pulled tighter against your lower back than you realize which makes SOB carry not a good idea unless you also wear some kind of jacket or sportcoat. It is also the worst place to carry a gun if you will be sitting down much of the time; not only almost impossible to get to but also tends to be very uncomfortable.

6. shooterjim

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i have also heard many people comment on the "dangers" of carrying sob, but i have never heard an actual story from anyone hurt from doing so. If you are carrying on your hip, slip and fall on your side do you break your hip? As far as comfort, it doesnt matter where you carry, everything feels different or un-comfortable until you get adjusted or used to it.

Nra life member
    nahc life member

we can only be what we give ourselves the power to be...

7. NDB_MN

NDB_MN XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I carry my PX4 subcompact SOB on occasion and I agree shoterjim, I hear a lot about how SOB carry is a death sentence... but haven't seen statistics or stories to support it. I imagine if I fell hard enough for my gun to impact my spine hard enough to break it, I would already be breaking something on the fall anyway. Also, at least when I carry SOB, very little of the gun/holster is actually over my spine.

I'm interested in possibly carrying my 1911 in the future - but I hadn't considered SOB due to the length of the barrel. Wouldn't the holster/barrel poke down funny when sitting? I can get away with it on my little subcompact, but it would look like I had a tail with a longer gun...

8. shooterjim

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    after carrying a full size s.s. 1911 sob daily I havent had a problem with the barrel length bulging when I sit down. no one in over 4-5 years has ever noticed or said anything. I carry everywhere, out to eat, banks, mall wherever and no one has ever outed me for ccw. (I'm 5'9" about 175lbs.)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE

9. shipwreck

shipwreck XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, do what you will. I hit that concrete (after slipping on that ice) DAMn hard. I don't know if falling on my side with hurt my hip. But, just remember - when it comes to your spine, it only takes 1 shot and that's it.

I know how my fall happened, and it would not have been good had I been carrying SOB that day.

What if you get into a conflict and someone throws you on your butt.

Disregard the opinions of SOB if ya want. I dismissed the dangers until personal experience. I wouldn't do it now.

Just trying to help you out and keep you from getting hurt

10. JoeOU1

JoeOU1 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I love to carry a left hand(I'm right handed) Don Hume IWB in the SOB position. I like the Galco SOB too, but not as much.

11. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    I bougth a Ross to try. It's comfortable, but I can see the downside of SOB carry. Sitting sucks, I can see a bad fall & having it injure your spine. I would rather bruise my hip than my spine. I am probably off the SOB carry except for certain conditions. A good IWB will conceal just as well w/ a shirt over it.

12. Kaw77

Kaw77 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own a Kirkpatrick SOB and am very happy with both in appearence and peformance
    I actually wear it at about 5 oclock but I use it almost exclusively for CCW , usually a Kimber 3" SS UC II