Best Semi-Auto .308 in AR Platform??? Ideas??

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by the1toph, Jun 12, 2010.

1. the1toph

the1toph XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking to build or buy a new AR style rifle chambered in .308. Anyone have any suggestions on Manufacturer, Barel Length/Twist, Fluted or Bull, Etc..

I will be using it mostly for long range target/SHF practice with quick follow up shots and rapid adjustment changes in windage and yardage? I had a RRA Predator Pursuit 5.56/.223 with a 20"Bull, 1:8 twist that would drive tacks at 100yds with the right ammo (Even surplus 62gr "Green Tips" would hold decent 2" groups) But I wanted something with a little more range and knockdown power.

Because of a childhood accident I cannot hold a rifle stock (unless thumb-holed) correctly enough to be very efficent so an M1 style rifle is out :(.

I have been looking at RRA, DPMS, Armalite, Etc.. I have owned RRA in the past so I am kinda leaning that direction but the DPMS and Armalite SASS rifles look pretty sweet.. I just don't know enough about the .308 round/ballistics to make an educated guess when dropping $2,000 on a new rifle!

Any suggestions??

2. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
  3. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been looking and this is the best deal I found...and drooling over this DPMS Panther LR308 for $1,029.99

DPMS Rifles/Shotguns dpms panther lr-308 rifle, black, r-dpmsrifle.com

DPMS Firearms®
    Chambered for the .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO rounds, the Panther LR-308 Rifle from DPMS® packs a lot of punch. A 24 inch stainless steel bull barrel allows for extreme accuracy, almost on par with higher end bolt action rifles. Teflon coated aluminum receivers provide excellent performance, as well a help protect the rifle from the elements. The raised picatinny rail allows the easy mounting of advanced optics. The DPMS® Panther LR-308 is an absolutely astounding rifle.

• DPMS® Panther LR-308 Rifle
    • .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO Caliber
    • Semi-Automatic
    • 6066T6 Aluminum Upper Receiver with Picatinny Rail
    • 6061T6 Aluminum Lower Receiver
    • A2 Black Stock
    • 24 inch Barrel
    • 19 round Magazine Capacity
    • 43.5 inches in Length
    • Weighs 11.20 pounds Empty
    • Black Finish
    • Manufacturer Number RFLR308

4. kd7vdb

kd7vdb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ar-10 maybe if your into ar rifles but it still uses a gas impingement system so it will still have the same inherent problems the keltec rfb is awsome but is kinda spendy

5. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW, my original choice is a FN FAL but I read most are rebuilt from old gun parts and unless you can pay premium, the cheaper ones can be a "gamble".

I am also considering this FAL Imbel 308 (built on a Metric Entreprise Arms type 3 receiver) for $799.00

FAL Imbel .308 Battle Rifle

6. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +357 / 4
    The best?

Knight's SR-25, JP LRP-07...but those are well over your 2k budget. I believe that LaRue is also coming out with a .308, and it'll be good...I'm just not that big on them using the AR-10 magazines instead of the Knight's version--which Magpul makes Pmags for.

I've looked at the RRA LARs...but why they decided to go with FAL mags, and a non-standard lower is beyond me.

I've got a Fulton M4, though--they do make nice rifles.

7. m2jordan

m2jordan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The LaRue uses the Pmags as well. It is also very spendy as well. If I had the money I would go with the LaRue or the LWRC models.

8. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking for another 308 and have my choices narrowed to two so I'll give you those for you to see if they interest you.

LaRue has put out a 308 that appears to be a good choice.
    LaRue Tactical E-Commerce Web Site - OBR

FN is going to release a new 308 soon. It is probably the one I'm going with. It's the one that some of our military is using. It's called a SCAR. I have the 5.56X45 version and it's impressive.
    SCAR™ 17S

I have a FNAR in 308 that costs less that the two mentioned above. Mine is reliable and sub moa accurate. Mine is the 20" heavy barrel version.
    FNH USA - FNAR 7.62x51mm

The FNAR is different. It is more front end heavy and in my opinion would not be as good for run and gun. From the info in your post it sounds like it could be a fit. My FNAR is a keeper.

9. JamesB

JamesB XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have a dog in the hunt as to which one is better, but several companies make stocks for the M1A (M14 style) rifles that might work for you.

Fulton Armory: M14Parts

McMillan M1A Rifle (.308 Win)

10. the1toph

the1toph XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome! Thank you guys for all of your help! I only had time to visit the Fulton Armory site and I was immediatly impressed! But after building the rifle the way I wanted it I was around $3,000 into it... Hmm.. I read the other posts and I will have to check them all out this week when I have time. You guys are awesome for all of your input! I got just what I needed to get started (and even a few possibilities for new directions I hadn't thought of *IE Pistol style grips on an M1?..*)
    I will look around and evaluate all the options and if you guys are interested I will let you all know which one I decide on.

One last Question if anyone is still posting: Should I go with the 1:10 twist with a 20" barrel or am I missing the boat on a 22-24" one? Also, is the 1:12 twist truely that obsolete (like I have heard) or will it still hold it's own at long range with a decent grain bullet?..

Thanks to all of you again!

11. kd7vdb

kd7vdb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    all depends are you looking to do longer range stuff or house clearing?

12. MikeS.

MikeS. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    He said he wanted it for long range/shtf stuff.

I have a Klinton ban Armalite AR-10 with a 24" SS barrel. It is super accurate. It has an 11.25" twist and loves 168 grain match bullets out to 600 yards.

The Armalites run 1200 and up.

13. RemMan700

RemMan700 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check out POF. I sat next to a guy at the range that was shooting one in a caldwell lead sled rifle rest. Well he did not have one group that was bigger then .75". I was really surprised how well it shot. It is a pretty pricy rifle though. If you want to stay below 2,000 bucks I would check out the Rock River Arms.

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There is nothing wrong with gas impingement. Also from an accuracy standpoint its a better system than a gas piston.
    To the OP my vote goes out to Larue's OBR.

I have a GAP myself but would love an OBR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pat

15. twitch1706

twitch1706 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm surprised noone's mentioned the LMT MRP. It's a bit over your budget, at $2,500, but considering that Britain just took delivery of 440 of 'em, they've gotta be doing something right if they're being employed in the Sandbox.

The bloke in the back has one.
    [​IMG]