Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by enottingham, Nov 11, 2011.

1. enottingham

enottingham XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Considering the short distance a bullet must travel in a sub-compact barrel such as the 3" XD Sub-Compact, is there an optimum powder/bullet combination which will insure the most efficient powder burn and pressure for that length. I'm mainly looking for accuracy.

2. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    The bullet would be a 147gr. The heavier bullet will spend more time in the bore, and get a more efficient burn behind it.

Not certain which powder, though.

3. GerryM

GerryM XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have used Titegroup with 147gr Percision delta bullets in my 9mm SC - seems to work well for me

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Now you've said it!! Fred can sense that word a mile away. Yourrrr in trouble. :)

I would think a faster burning powder with a heavy bullet would be the best choice. 147gr would be best, wouldn't go lower than 124. By best we're talking small fractions.

5. GG Asian

GG Asian XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the OP talking about the 9 or 40 subcompact?

6. enottingham

enottingham XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We're talking 9mm.

7. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use a 124 grain FMJ bullet with Win 231 4.3 - 4.5 grains of powder, 1.150 OAL, and seem to have good accuracy with my XD SC. We shoot this combo mostly at 3 - 15 yards, but have shot 25 and 50 yards and hit targets also.

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I hear this phrase quite a bit; barrel time. Cuda, a 147gr bullet spends exactly the same time in the bbl as a 115gr bullet if they are both going 900fps. SO yes & no. I have found loading for short or long bbl., there isn't really an optimum bullet or powder. Longer/heavier bullets can stabilize better, but maybe not. If not driven fast enough, they don't stabilize & can be less accuarte. So shorter bbl, less vel, wrong twist rate, poor accuracy.
    You always get the highest vel using slower powders, regardless of bbl length. You just get more blast & flash to go with it. SO no easy answer really. Loads that work in my 5" guns run fine in my 3.5" guns. If you want less blast & flash, use a faster powder, but you will also lose vel, if that matters. SOme like TG, it does fit that nich, but I won't use it or other uberfast powders, regardless of bbl length.

9. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Yes fred if both light and heavy bullets are going the same vel then they spend the same time in the barrel but in 99% of the cases the 115gr is going faster than the 147gr. That is unless you are purposely loading light on the 115gr.

10. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just don't think bbl time has much to do with accuracy. It's more about twist rate vs bullet length/wt & vel achieved. Example, I can get some really great accuracy loads using a 90gr 380 bullet in any bbl length, you can;t over stabilize a bullet IMO. Add to that, guns are wierd beasts. Certain bullet/powdre combos can be really accurate in one gun & complete crap in another type of bbl. One aspect of reloading is you get to tailor the load to fit your needs. For the OP, I would pick one good powder, like WSF or Unique or Universal, & one bullet tpye & work the loads up. If results aren't acceptable, switch bullets first. If you want to use just that bullet, then switch powders.

11. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Totally agree.

12. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    Fred--

Since the heavier bullet will take more force to get moving than a light bullet, won't it have a bit more dwell time?

I know we're talking about angels dancing on my pinhead here, but that's the way I've always understood it.

13. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nano seconds, not enough to change anything. It's often argued that is why heavier bullets shoot to a higher POI, bbl time. If they travel the same exit vel, the bbl time is going to be almost identical, nano seconds. I am sure there is some way to measure that, but I just don't think it matters in any practical sense when choosing components for reloading. If someone can show me some kind of data supporting that, I am all ears.

14. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    If you want to keep muzzle-blast to a minimum I would use a 124 or 147 gr JHP over a max charge of Ramshot Silhouette which is treated to keep muzzle-flash to a minimum. Work up from a start charge of course. Data is available @ Ramshot ;)

15. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Wow... this is tricky! Acceleration of a heavier bullet may indeed require, as Fred says, "nanoseconds" more than a lighter bullet, but in the end it is the speed of the bullet as it exits the barrel that seems to represent the only variable that would matter in this situation. Of course, there is always more.

Twist rates are optimized for what manufacturers consider to be the "optimal" load (that is bullet weight, and thus length, at a given speed safe in pressure for that caliber). Since powder types and indeed bullet construction and thus weight for length, have changed over the years giving different pressure curves and barrel contact with bullets than gun manufacturers may have first envisioned there are some differences in expectations as to what is the "perfect" bullet weight for the caliber.

Considering together bullet weight and twist rates, velocity is still what matters as the other two are fixed in a given situation. POI, as Fred alludes to, is a function of the speed of the bullet relative to the sights which are set for a certain velocity. POI is not accuracy. Accuracy is not the relationship between POA and POI, but the ability to put round after round in the same place, regardless of the point of impact's relationship to the sights. Placement is the relationship between point of aim and point of impact... or does it go where I want it to.

So when you chose a round for your gun you are looking for placement and accuracy together generally, though they are not interchangeable terms. Therefore, though I generally advocate for somewhat heavier bullets in a particular caliber especially in defensive loadings, these may not always produce the best absolute accuracy or the bullet placement the user requires or expects. The thing here is that most bullets will produce "good enough" accuracy for defensive purposes, but placement may be lacking. Only testing by the gun owner can determine what level of each, that is placement and accuracy, they find optimal.

What I am getting at here is that if you are only interested in being able to put a round through the ear hole of some critter at 25yrds or whatever distance, (no matter how many legs it has), your choices in ammunition will be very limited. It's as simple or as complex as you want to make it.