Best places to get lead scrap for bullet casting

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by wingnut1983, Nov 23, 2009.

1. wingnut1983

wingnut1983 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I want to cast some bullets but am having a hard time finding lead scrap. A few people told me that you can often get the old tire weights from tire places but I went to two of them in my area and both said they couldnt because they were Hazmat.

Does anyone have suggestions where to find used lead stuff to "recycle" and make into bullets>?

Thanks!

2. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    i see people on craigslist selling buckets of wheel weights all the time in my area.

3. wingnut1983

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen one person selling lead for $0.65 per lb but that seems a little high and is 3 hours away. Only listing like it I have seen.

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    You must live in CA. :)
    I have no problem picking up wheel weights from our local tire shops.

5. wingnut1983

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, live in Michigan :(

6. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Almost as bad as Kalif.;) Tire shps are the way to go for now anyway. Try the smaller private places or even gas stations. The large chain stores often have policy that require they sell to a recycler. Scrap yards or auto wrecking yards are good too. You may have to get a pair of ww pliers to remove them, but sometimes the salvage yard owners do it & have them in buckets. Other good sources are plumbing outfits, roofing & roof construction outfits, ask for roofing lead. Stainglass window shops or classes are another good source. All the lead wire they use is 98% pure lead & very clean. Tell them yo uwant it for casting lead figures or fishing sinkers.
    The national ban on lead ww is coming sooner than later. Kalif bans lead ww starting next month. Oregon & Wasington state the following year, so get what you can & stack it deep, it's going to become more costly going forward. IMO, if I have to pay much more than $1/# for finished alloy, I'm not casting. Also, carefull w/ lead bought on Craigslist or other sources. It may contain zinz. Any zinc in an alloy makes a very poor bullet alloy & casting w/ it is almost impossible. It makes fine looking ingots, but not so good for small, precise casting like a bullet. Zinc will be the new ww mat'l. of choice going forward.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. wingnut1983

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just called every tire place in my town and FINALLY found one that would sell me the wheel weights. Most others said they used to just give them away but it got to be a pain when people would say "well you give them to this guy but not me?" so they just quit.

But I got the name of the guy at one place who said he generally takes them to the scrap yard for $.16/lb. I told him I'd be more than happy to pay him for them :).

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Offering to pay always works better than asking for them for free. Offer him 20c/# & run with that. That way you keep him as a good supplier. Expect about 20% waste /#. Still, that is 16c/# for clean alloy. that is $5/1000 200gr 45acp bullets.:mrgreen:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. Oldhoward

Oldhoward XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many of the large chains follow procedure for the company -- like Walmart for example.
    I go to independent tire stores give the working guy $10.00 and get several 5 gallon cans full of wheel weights. Some wheel weights are now made of zinc, which is not bullet friendly. Lead should be melted by about 650 degrees the zinc weights will float to the top, as the zinc has a higher melting point. Just throw the zinc weights away.

10. vafish

vafish XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I run a junior air rifle program at our gun club. I get all the lead I want cleaning out the pellet traps.

It's pure lead and very soft. Works good in the muzzle loaders. Quenching the bullets in water seems to help too.

11. Buffman

Buffman XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For $40 a day I will let you mine the hillside that we've shot into for the past 12yrs. LOL :)