best nightstand quick access safe

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by XDMing, Oct 26, 2011.

1. XDMing

XDMing XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so i'm going to have to put my bedside piece in a safe soon. i've never used safe's really and even when i did i did not ever put my bedside piece in one. my wife's brother was shot by a accidental firing when he was 3 years old and is in a wheelchair for life so her perspective on gun safty is a little different then mine.

i want to know if anyone can recommend the best single gun quick access safe they have found. i've seen the biometric ones and i think that's probably what i would do as i dont like the idea of having to remember a combination if something happens. i'm of the mindset of in a reactive position you need to shave every second off of the time before identifying a need and being prepared so i dont even like the idea of a safe.

[​IMG]

"The Gunvault GVB 1000 is made to withstand the toughest punishment and virtually impossible to break into with hand tools. It also has a blue low-level LED light inside so you can see what youÂ’re grabbing in the dark.
    Unlike a lot of the other safes, the Gunvault has an optional entry alert disable feature so you can grab your gun in silence. Gunvault is a major company that has made many Biometric Gun Safes and the GVB1000 is currently their most popular model."

that's the one i'm thinking about getting, what do you think?

2. xd40Cali

xd40Cali XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have that safe on my nightstand and love it. Highly recommend it

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

3. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0
    I have that safe under my office desk and one hidden in the bedroom.
    Change the batteries once a year whether they need it or not and you're good to go.;)

Also when setting the code, you can push 2 buttons at once for one entry.
    Let's say 1 - 3 - 1 & 2 - 1..
    Using a 2 button entry will make even more difficult for an accidental entry.

4. JRB

JRB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been looking at this one, same thing just cheaper. Has good feedback, but I haven't seem it in person.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002AQ0PFW/ref=aw_ls_2_6?coliid=I1L4TJXDGJG43D&colid=36XNWWYJS398H]Barska Biometric Safe:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

5. fat_frog

fat_frog XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm currently looking for a nightstand safe as well...

I heard that the biometric part of the safe breaks but you can still open it with a key. Those who have the GunVault biometric safe, how long has it been successfully functionoing?

6. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only issue I have with biometric safes is the reliability of the electronics involved. One day it WILL fail, then you may be finding yourself fiddlefucking with a key at the wrong time.

7. gpstak

gpstak XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FAS1 SAFE - YouTube

[​IMG]

All will keep your kids out but few will deter a thief. Be sure and bolt it to something solid. Look at what they are made of and the weights. Also, I prefer a mechanical lock. Simple, reliable, no elec. or batteries. This one is 3/16" steel and weighs 21 lbs.

8. baltimorebayside

baltimorebayside XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Use a mechanical combo, it can be opened in pitch black just by feel, no batteries to deal with.
    Just place your fingers in the right position and press the numbers one or two times each.

dan

9. DrewK

DrewK XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have my safe (a stand up Stack-On) mounted to the wall studs. It has a key lock and every night before bed I slip the key in the lock. In the morning I need the keys to go to work so I pull them out. Quick access to all my guns and secure from the kids.

10. HumVee

HumVee XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those of you recommending the GVB 1000 appear to be taking about the model that has 4 electronic push buttons. I'm glad to know that you can use simultaneous key press combinations to decrease the chance of someone guessing the combination. The manual doesn't mention that. I will reconsider buying that version.

However, I believe that XDMing was actually inquiring about the model which replaces the 4 buttons with a single "biometric" fingerprint scanner. I haven't tried out those models. Winchester has one as well. Unfortunately, my local gun store doesn't have them set up to try. This post is fairly dated. Has anyone on this forum had extended expirence with a fingerprint safe, and can report on it?

My only experience with such fingerprint scanners is on laptop computers...and I wouldn't want to depend on them for quick access when you're in a rush. They are finicky about the exact angle and speed of your finger swipe across the camera head. I don't know if the gun safe ones are programmed to allow less precision or not. I imagine that anyone with a quick access safe should drill regularly on opening it under realistic conditions - in the dark and in a hurry (DON'T drill pulling out a loaded firearm!).

11. Concord4826

Concord4826 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I've have the same safe on my nightstand for over a year. The electronic buttons so far have not been an issue considering the safe it opened at least twice a day. What I have gotten into a habit of changing is the battery every 6 months.

12. fat_frog

fat_frog XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ....Do you have to re-program it every time you change/take out batteries?

13. Tex51

Tex51 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369279543.487697.jpg $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369279575.271473.jpg

14. birda40

birda40 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Biometric , love it. It also has key pad and a key just in case. It's a Stack On , it secures enough to where no worries about the youngens.

15. 711

711 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No to electronics. An EMP burst would fry it and there you would be. Pretty safe, but no gun in SHTF.