Best guns for $100 $200 $300...

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by goody2141, Aug 14, 2010.

1. goody2141

goody2141 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright, I am fairly new to guns, but I love to do research on them. Lately, I seem to have quite a few friends asking me whether guns are good or not. They are often looking for a gun in a certain price range, but for similar uses (usually for fun, and probably defense). So I figured, why not make a thread for all price ranges.

I would like to know which guns you would suggest at each price range. I would say list 1-3 guns for each range, maybe 1 for (9mm, .40, .45), 1 for smaller calibers/carry pistols (.380, makarovs...), and 1 for revolvers.

Ranges
    $100 and below
    $200
    $300
    $400
    $500
    $600

2. zulu45

zulu45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (These are just my opinion. YMMV)

Under $100, I don't know if any gun exists that would be a good gun for defensive use. You could probably get a used Hi Point for it, and if it's in good condition, and checked for reliability, you could go for that.

For under $200, you could either go for a new Hi Point or a used S&W Sigma. I would opt for the Sigma between the two. You may also find a used Makarov for this price range.

Now, under $300, here we're getting to better choices. I've found some small .38 Special revolvers used for this price range. Try to find a used Ruger SP101 or a used S&W J-Frame. It'll be hard to find it at that price, but it's possible. Be very cautious of the condition. Another great choice is a good quality Makarov, just be prepared to search for ammo (unless you buy online). You could find one in .380, but I'd stick with 9x18 for this gun.

Under $400 opens you up to a great deal of choices. I have found (although they were lucky spottings) some very good condition used Smith & Wesson revolvers, and at some shops, I have seen a NEW Ruger SP101, a very tough gun. You may also find a used CZ-75, which I consider to be one of the best 9mm pistols available today.

Under $500 is where you can get some good picks. New and used (mostly used, but great condition) Glocks, XDs, and M&P pistols can be found in this price range. You'll do good with any of the three, but my avatar pretty much says what I prefer. (Note, this is not drinking the Koolaid, I like all three choices, I just like Glock the best. Single-stack compact 45... nuff said.)

$600 and below you're looking at Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, CZ-75s, possible used Sigs, the Beretta M9/92, and much more.

In my opinion, any of the three reigning polymer pistols under $600 (Glock, XD, M&P) would serve you for (in my opinion) the best bang for your buck.

3. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 19
    To build on Zulu45's reply, for under $200 there are a number of excellent options if you don't mind buying used/surplus.

You should be able to find the Polish P-64 (9x18mm Makarov); the CZ-52, the CZ-70 and the CZ-82; the Tokarev TT-33 (Romanian, Russian, Bulgarian) 7.62x25 pistols all for at or under $200. These are all Iron Curtain military and/or police issued weapons.

I have two of the P-64s, and a Romanian Cugir TT-33. I expect I'll be picking up one of the above-mentioned CZs at some point in the not distant future.

4. zulu45

zulu45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good list, jmichna, I didn't even think of those. :D

5. Ski098

Ski098 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And to expound on the Polish/Russian/Bulgarian surplus pistols. Most deals I've seen have had external wear(from being carried) but very little internal wear. Many of them have had less than 100 rounds fired through them in their lifetime. Since ammo costs money, and the military and police forces over there just didn't practice with them.

6. Ski098

Ski098 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Under $100 = Red rider
    $200 = paint ball
    $300 = Gamo 177 cal
    $400 = S/W Sigma
    $500 = Real Guns start here, your choice. ;-)

8. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    That's a pretty ignorant and biased list.

I've picked up used XD pistols in the $300 range. Lots of good used handguns in the $400 range.

9. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll second that.
    Under $300 new as a SD pistol. I'd recommend KTp3at/Ruger LCP/Bersa Thunder.380 and there is a whole list of others in the .380 market.
    $300 and above there are just to many to list New and used pistols out there that are a good value. IMO I'd look for used first but if your not familiar with used pistols take someone along who is. There's alot of pistols out there that are just past being broken in. Darned good way of getting a good pistol for some good money. If I'm interested in a new pistol for myself I always take the time to look for used first.

10. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just adding a little humor into a $100 & $200 gun recommendations. :p I don't think there are very many out there these days. But if some of you have guns for sale in those ranges, post them up. I could be a buyer.

11. RobzXD

RobzXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A Late entry coming in JUST under the $400 mark is the new Ruger SR9c. Lots of good reviews, cradles great in the hand, but I haven't had a chance to actually fire one (yet).

As mentioned already, the European Surplus pistols are surprisingly affordable and in VERY Surprisingly great shape for a "Used" pistol. The P-64 is great and I'm looking to add a P-83 Wanad.

12. pwd

pwd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    300-400 new ruger p95

13. merc545

merc545 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ^This. A lot of dealers have brand new P95's for $299. It easily has the best cost/reliability ratio out there.

14. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +125 / 5
    I love the surplus stuff.

I need to get a c and r license to get CZ, Nagant's and some Maks mailed to my door.

if you want a cheap, reliable and accurate gun, surplus is the way to go.

15. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 19
    Just be forewarned... a C&R can be hazardous to your discretionary income! ;)

I've added a Mauser K98k, a couple Mosin-Nagant M91/30 (one each hex and round receiver), a Mosin-Nagant M38 carbine, the aforementioned two P-64s and the Tokarev TT-33, and am keeping my eyes open for a good CZ-XX surplus SA pistol to add to the collection. But, that C&R has saved me at least $175 in FFL transfer fees, if I had to go through my local FFL.