Springfield XD Forum banner

Best EDC spring assist knife for under $75?

15K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  TMW89 
#1 ·
Well guys, I have tried searching the interwebs and this forum, but could not find anything of use, so I will just make my own thread. Not to mention I value you guys' opinions more than a bumpkin somewhere else on the web.

So the title says it all, really. I have a no name knife that goes with me everyday, and it has served me well for a few years, but it is nearing the end of its life. The blade now likes to come open too easily. So I am in the market for a new knife.

It needs to have a blade under 4 inches, needs to be spring assist (easy one hand operation), needs to have good closed blade retention, and a strong, durable clip. Being available from amazon also helps...

Look forward to hearing your input, thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, sir. They have good reviews. This might be the one.

#3 ·
I carry a Kershaw Blur, Ken Onion design. Been happy with it. Lifetime warranty including lifetime sharpening if needed.

Amazon.com Kershaw Tanto Serrated Blur Knife with SpeedSafe Desert Sand Black Hunting Knives Sports Outdoors

Good solid lock, easy opening. I've carried it every day for a couple of years and am pretty happy with it. Good for utility and defense.

Another option I am considering is a karambit of some sort, but the good ones were over $100 by quite a bit and not too anxious to spend that much on a defensive knife.

Reactions: ZanderMan
#5 ·
I carry a Kershaw Blur, Ken Onion design. Been happy with it. Lifetime warranty including lifetime sharpening if needed.

Amazon.com Kershaw Tanto Serrated Blur Knife with SpeedSafe Desert Sand Black Hunting Knives Sports Outdoors

Good solid lock, easy opening. I've carried it every day for a couple of years and am pretty happy with it. Good for utility and defense.

Another option I am considering is a karambit of some sort, but the good ones were over $100 by quite a bit and not too anxious to spend that much on a defensive knife.
This might be exactly what I want, although I am not sure I need or want the serrations.

#9 ·
I see. I don't see a blade lock on it. Where is it located on the knife?

#8 ·
+1 .... as UGADawgs says.... that same knife has a bunch of different blade shapes, styles..... serrations, drop points, "tanto" etc, etc.....

#45 ·
#15 ·
Kershaw's 1660CKT has everything the classic Leek has, plus a DLC coating of matte black. If you prefer your knife in basic black, this one just might be your perfect EDC. To create this matte-black look, Kershaw engineers ionize metal and deposit it on both blade and handle as a microns-thin coating. This process results in a coating known as DLC, or Diamond-Like Carbon, which is hard and scratch resistant. With its 3-inch blade, the Leek is a good-sized knife, but not too big. The slim design makes it easy to carry and its razor-sharp blade of high-performance Sandvik 14C28N means it can take care of a full range of cutting tasks. The blade is a modified drop-point, so it's a good slicing knife, while the slim tip gives it piercing capability and the ability to do detailed work. For a partially serrated blade, choose the 1660CKTST Leek in basic black. The Leek features the SpeedSafe ambidextrous assisted opening system. Whether you're left-handed or right-handed, just pull back on the blade protrusion or push outward on the thumbstud and the Leek's blade is ready to go to work. For confident blade use, a super-secure frame lock keeps the blade locked during use and a Tip-Lock slider locks the blade closed when folded. The pocketclip can be configured for tip-up or tip-down carry and the handle is drilled to accept a lanyard. Made in the USA; SpeedSafe assisted opening; Frame lock; Reversible (tip-up/tip-down, right) pocketclip; Steel: Sandvik 14C28N, DLC coating; Handle: 410 stainless steel, DLC coating; Blade length: 3 in. (7.5 cm); Closed length: 4 in. (10.3 cm); Overall Length: 7 in. (17.9 cm); Weight: 3 oz. (85 g).

#16 ·
#23 ·
Save up another $25 bucks and get a ZT 0350!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Idk... The blur looks pretty cool and for $58.

#25 ·
If i followed the reason for spring assist was one handed operation-

I can one hand the $h1t out of any of my spydercos, and they are awesome blades. That is what i would recommend.

Other than the spring assist i believe it meets all your criteria, and the spring assist is just not necessary because of the hole. You never have to go far to find someone with good things to say about them.

#30 ·
Guys, thanks for the help. As I thought, you guys had all the answers!

I think I'll just get the blur and not over think it.

#32 ·
Definitely not a bad choice! One day you'll give in to the dark side and surge on a ZT though [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Love the Blur, and you definitely can't go wrong with it. With that said keep in mind it is a pretty wide knife. Personally I prefer my knives to be relatively unobtrusive while retrieving things from pockets.

Some may knock it because of the current reputation of the manufacturer, but for $35 it makes a nice knife. I've owned two Gerber Mini-Covert FAST knives and absolutely love them. The blade comes very sharp, and although it does dull quickly under hard use it is very easy to sharpen. The clip is as low profile as possible, making it disappear in your pocket and reducing snags. I love spear-point blades, so that's a plus (your view may differ), and the knife is very thin making is easy to retrieve items from your pockets. The blade is only 2.75" if I recall, but you didn't list a minimum blade length. [emoji6]

Just my $0.02, and if you still get the Blur you'll end up with a hell of a good knife for the price.

#34 ·
Love the Blur, and you definitely can't go wrong with it. With that said keep in mind it is a pretty wide knife. Personally I prefer my knives to be relatively unobtrusive while retrieving things from pockets.

Some may knock it because of the current reputation of the manufacturer, but for $35 it makes a nice knife. I've owned two Gerber Mini-Covert FAST knives and absolutely love them. The blade comes very sharp, and although it does dull quickly under hard use it is very easy to sharpen. The clip is as low profile as possible, making it disappear in your pocket and reducing snags. I love spear-point blades, so that's a plus (your view may differ), and the knife is very thin making is easy to retrieve items from your pockets. The blade is only 2.75" if I recall, but you didn't list a minimum blade length. [emoji6]

Just my $0.02, and if you still get the Blur you'll end up with a hell of a good knife for the price.
Thanks for the wealth of information, 454. The blur I am looking at is $58 I think. Are we looking at different ones?
But then again I have had a few brown pops.

#35 ·
I have a leek. It's a great little pocket knife. Small and sharp. I took off the lock, it was a pita. The blade does poke out new and again though. The blur is ok, but anything else from Kershaw is made in China from crap steel, including the thermite. I do also have a ZT.

#38 ·
I have a leek. It's a great little pocket knife. Small and sharp. I took off the lock, it was a pita. The blade does poke out new and again though. The blur is ok, but anything else from Kershaw is made in China from crap steel, including the thermite. I do also have a ZT.
LGS had Kershaw Oso Sweets for $10 a couple of years ago. I picked up a few. Still on the first one. That crap steel seems to be holding up fine for my use. I am more likely to lose the knife than break it.

kypix

#36 ·
I got my Benchmade/HK Nitrous Blitz on sale for $72 and change 2 years ago around this time...will never own another folder that isnt a Benchmade...

I had a couple Kershaws that were so-so...main issue was the cheaply built, poorly thought out "safety" made from plastic....broke way too easily on them both...and the pocket clips needed comstant retightening, even with locktite

None of these issues with my Benchmade...

#57 ·
Plus 1 with Benchmade knifes...quality, quality, quality! Though I wasn't as lucky as you on your Nitrous price find my Axis and Stryker are excellent choices for assisted too. But they are over $100 and maybe out of your price range.

#40 ·
If you're looking to save a few bucks, I can also recommend the Ontario RAT-1. It's my daily go-to knife since my ZT usually sits in my locker at work. The RAT-1 is a bit longer, but it's thin and very well-built for a 30 something dollar knife. Can't recommend it enough for what it is.

#43 ·
The Blur is a hard knife to beat under 75.

I've had my drip point plain edge as a constant pocket companion for 5 years. Granted, I do t ever use it hard because I tend to have better tool options available but it sits unnoticed and will shave hair off my arm.

If you wanna splurge a little, get an S30V blade. Or jump up to the ZT0350. That will likely be the next folder I get

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.