"Best" bore cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FatMatt1981, Sep 11, 2010.

1. FatMatt1981

FatMatt1981 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanted to toss this out there and see what happens...I'm in need of some more bore cleaner, targets etc.
    I'm kinda torn as to which one works the best as a bore cleaner. I've been lookin around online at Butch's bore shine....and Hoppe's 9, however haven't used either. I've been using a small bottle of some kinda bore cleaner from Gunslick I believe it is...it's seemed to work well, and has a slight citrus smell to it. I can't stand using that stuff that comes with the cleaning kits, I can't remember which brand...it gives me a headache. Other than that I usually use Break-Free for everything else most of the time.
    I would like to get something non spray...I've been sprayin the Break Free I do have in a small bowl to dip q-tips in etc...usually makin a mess. The bottle of bore cleaned I have left isn't spray...so it's nice to just kinda dip a bore brush directly into it and let the extra drip back into the bottle.
    Thanks for the advice fellas...besides long time no thread posting for me anyways so here's one:)

2. EMN83

EMN83 XDTalk 30K Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I use the Gun-slick foaming bore cleaner, Hoppe's #9 and Break Free. all three work well. Break Free comes in bottles that are more of a dropper, you might try that.

3. carhartt

carhartt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Hoppes #9 works well for me, though I have had people tell me that it bothers them (smell) so I started using Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner. The elite comes in a pump spray bottle but works fairly well.

4. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +248 / 4
    I use Butch's for my rifles, otherwise I like Gunzilla or Breakfree. Sweet's 762 for copper solvent.

BTW--you can get Breakfree in squeeze bottles, etc...not just aeresol cans. I picked up a gallon jug a few years ago, and I think I may be good for the next decade or so...

5. Horoscope Fish

Horoscope Fish XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've used most bore cleaners and I keep coming back to Hoppes.

ProTip: Get a bottle of something cheap from the drug store that comes in a dropper-type bottle (I use a bottle of saline nasal spray like the one pictured) dump out whatever is in the bottle, yank off the attached straw if there is one, and refill the bottle with Hoppes. Voila! You can now dispense drop-by-drop or stream squirt your bore solvent on patches or brushes. Keeps the bulk of your solvent clean and it's far easier to use. Pretty much spill-proof too.

[​IMG]

6. FatMatt1981

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heyy the saline bottle is a great idea...I think my wife has a couple of almost empty ones for her contact solution.
    I bet that'd work well with storing the stuff also....spray cans take up alotta room in my small tool/tackle box.
    Thanks!!!

7. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I store my solvents in fluorinated plastic bottles. HDPE and LDPE plastic bottle may be attacked by different solvents. I get mine from Sinclair:
    SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Solvent Bottles -
    I get the 3 pak with flip top.

Hoppes comes in a plastic bottle where Shooter's choice come in a glass bottle so you can guess that Shooter's would be more aggressive to plastic. But that is a guess on my part.

8. TACC XD

TACC XD XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still use Hoppe's. Not only does it clean the gun, but it is the best air freshener going.

9. FatMatt1981

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the Hoppes that is the good stuff the one with a big number 9 on it or is it something else?

10. Horoscope Fish

Horoscope Fish XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hoppes #9 Bore Solvent in the yellow label is what everyone means when they say "Hoppes". This is the old standby version of Hoppes we old timers reminisce about.

Hoppes also makes a "Semi Auto #9" bore solvent (silver label) and "Bench Rest 9" copper solvent (black label) but those are both roughly twice the price of yellow-label #9 at my local places.

I tried the Auto Solvent one time and I think the main difference between the two solvents is that the Auto Solvent evaporates far, far faster than #9 does. Rubbing-alcohol-fast, as I recall.

11. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Look at the labels closely ... Then go to the store and find some ******* ... Never-mind, I'm not gonna be responsible ... But the stuff on the gun shelf is just a chemical cocktail that can be recreated cheaply, if you figure out the proportions.

It's kind of like the Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner/Gun Scrubber:
    Methanol & Toluene & Acetone (be careful, the flash point of the vapor is below 50 degrees F)
    You can make a gallon of the stuff for the price of a spray can, if you find a good supplier ;)

If that seems like a hassle or dangerous ... Stick with the better known Bore cleaners, but don't get suckered by advertising !!!

12. FatMatt1981

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks

13. TwinBlade

TwinBlade XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Outers Foul Out electrochemical bore cleaning system is the best on the market, bar none. You do not scrub with solvents and brass brushes. It uses 2 solutions...one for lead fouling one for copper, and it literally plates the fouling onto a rod that you put in the bore. Nothing out there gets a bore cleaner...right down to the microscopic level.

My late Father, Dennis Marshall, had the patent on it which has now run out. I have his prototype. He did a lot for the firearm industry including writing for "The Dope Bag" was a contributing editor to the CBA, American Rifleman, Lyman etc.

14. azrebel

azrebel XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hoppes Elite spray to clean and then Hoppes Elite Gun Oil - for me this combo has served me better than the CLP option.

No smell with the Elite line of Hoppes. Hoppes 9 is always a great stand by! Happy cleaning :)

15. jimdanos

jimdanos XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 14
    I tried alot but I go back to Hoppes #9.