best 9mm ammo for camping protection

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by swatch76, Jun 29, 2005.

1. swatch76

swatch76 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will be going out in the woods for a week of camping. There has been some couger and bear sightings. What 9mm ammo would be best to take in my xd service pistol. I am thinking of hydrashock or wwb 147 grain. any other suggestions?

thanks

2. The Tengu

The Tengu XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah, go with something in 147.

3. poortrader

poortrader XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just saw some negative reviews on hydrashocks. They were not expending.

4. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Dude...don't shoot the bear with your 9mm, you might wake him up. :p

Seriously though...if 9mm is all you got load it with 147gr quality jhps. I'd go with Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger RA9T.

I'm not a fan of Hydrashocks myself.

brad cook

5. Hawaii-5-O

Hawaii-5-O XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry, but the 9MM does not have enough fire power to protect you from a Black bear or a Grizzly. You need ammo designed for hunting and the 9MM is not designed for hunting. Not bears anyway.

A man and his wife were just killed up in Alaska by a 300 pound Grizzly this past weekend. They were attacked in their tent and did not have a chance to use their firearm. See www.adn.com for more details. Note: In Alaska the Brown Bear can easily exceed 1000 pounds!

The maximum energy that you can get out of a 9MM round is about 465 ft lbs. at the muzzle. This will barely get it through the bear's hide.

I'm heading up to Alaska in two weeks and my insurance policy is a S&W 629 44 Magnum. My load is 242 grain Linotype (BHN 22) SWC bullet with 25 grains of WIN296 powder. Estimate velocity is 1560 fps with 1308 ft lbs at the muzzle. Now this is the minimum caliber that you will need to stop a bear. First disable it from attacking (shoulder joint/leg), then killing shot through heart and lungs.

You need a bullet that will penetrate the hide, break bones and still blast through the heart/lungs. A 9MM Jacketed Hollow Point will just expand and stop before it reaches any vital organs. It will give the bear a bee sting and will p--- him off even more.

If you really want a big bad bear gun, look at the S&W 500 Magnum. 440 grain HC bullet, 1625 fps and a whopping 2580 ft lbs! Note this load has a recoil of about 52 pounds too! Just remember this is a BIG GUN!

6. swatch76

swatch76 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the replies i am only going camping in washington so no big bears around here. i forgot to mention i will also have a buddy with me and he will have his 357 magnum blackhawk revolver with 240 grain bullets. I think i will pick up a box of the ranger RA9T

7. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    240gr?! In a .357?! I'll believe it when I see it.

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Riiiight. I would love to see you so surgically disable an attacking griz who has just woken you up by caving in your tent in the middle of the night. Or who has just started charging you unexpectedly out of the bush from 20 yards away. I know I sure don't have those kind of capabilities. :wink:

brad cook

9. bd

bd XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The best round to keep in your pistol for self defense under any circumstances, whether you're in grizzly country or in a bad neighborhood is the one that you shoot the best.

A 147 gr. JHP is no better than a 115 gr. FMJ if you can't hit with it.

bd

10. poortrader

poortrader XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some people get so excited when they starting talking about guns to other people, they don't realize the knowledget that the other person might have. Especially, around my family and friends, it's a very secret society.

This past weekend, my brother-in-law was telling me about a 250 grain .45 that his smith and wesson shots. I'm assuming that he's the type of person that doesn't own a cowboy gun his S&W doesn't shoot .45LC. But I went along with it. He was telling me the shotgun size holes that his 250 grain .45 makes. I almost started to ask him about the ballistics and physics factors of his 250 grain rounds.

Instead, I showed him a NRA pistol booklet and asked him about CCL's. I didn't offer anymore. The secret society of our families.

11. SLCDave

SLCDave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    in 9mm? I'd go with a 158 grain Winchester Partition bullet in .357 Mag, which is still 9mm...

If you are still carring a 9mm parabellum though, and get attacked by a bear, any bullet will work. Just put it under your chin and pull...er nevermind...

12. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I would not carry anything less than a .44 cal 300 grain hard cast loaded to max for bear medicine. For general self defense in the woods in 9mm, I would make it a 147 grain GOOD quailty hollow point.

13. Son of Norway

Son of Norway XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hydra-SHok 147's.

Don't worry about the bears. Just don't sleep with your food. Sleep away from your food.

14. Hawaii-5-O

Hawaii-5-O XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DigMe,

My point for sharing that bear attack was to point out that s_ _ _ happens no matter if you do everything right. That couple kept their food in bear proof containers and far away from their tent.

All you can do is plan for the worst and if you want to protect yourself in the woods from the largest preditor that you may encounter, know what will and how to kill it without it killing you. You're kidding yourself if you think a 9MM or a 357 is enough gun, I'm with SLCDave, just save the last round for yourself.

Just remember a 300 pound Grizzly is not the same as a 300 pound man.

Here's what happened in another attack where a hiker used a 38 caliber on a 1600 pound Brown Bear. (note: having trouble attaching the photos. Need advise on how to paste it to this site.) Also they do have it stuffed and on display at Anchorage's Airport:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Alaskan Grizzly Bear Experience
    Alaskan Grizzly Bear Experience

The attached photos are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear.

He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds (1600 lbs.). It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head.

It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

Based on the contents of the bear's stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker.

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

15. SLCDave

SLCDave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    5-0, that story you post has been proven to be partially true, but the photo of the remains is not related to the story. Just check the Snopes and Urban Legend sites.

I still wouldn't want a 9mm or .38 special when attacked by a bear though.