Berry's Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Yosemite Sam, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just started reloading for my XDM .40. Having a heluva time finding reloading data for Berry's .40 RS 155gr and Berry's DS 180gr bullets. Using Alliant Unique and Power Pistol powder. Anybody out there have some data on these bullets or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. Spike

Spike XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the Berry's FAQ:

3. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Sam...

I have used both and still have some 155's around. I use a lot of Berry 180grn bullets both the flat nose DS, and lately the 180grn HP. With the 155 I have used both 6.6grns and 6.8grs of Unique but the data was originally taken when it was only 31 degrees outside where I shoot. Later I retested at 45 degrees and got about 20 more fps than on the colder day. With the 6.6grn Unique load, on the cold day average about 1063fps in a Witness Match 4.75" bbl... and on the somewhat warmer day 1083 out of the same gun. The 6.8grn load of Unique with the 155 Berry averaged 1119 out of the same gun at 45 degrees. With an XD40 Service 6.8grn Unique that day gave me 1090.6fps. It would be a smidge faster on a 70 degree day I would think. The 6.8 load would be close to max I would think, though I had no excessive pressure signs like mushed primers or leakage. Since Unique is sorta temperature sensitive I would approach with caution the heavier load in 90 degree weather.

My notes say the next time I was using Unique was with lead bullets of 180 grns and not the Berry's, but I use them all the time with other powders with midrange loads and they shoot well. For "get in the neighborhood" purposes the 180grn S&S cast bullet out of an XDm40 was going 980.3fps average for 20 shots over 5.4grns of Unique. It was 73 degrees that day. It was going 952.6 with the same load, same day out of an XD40 Service (4"bbl) and 902.6 out of a SubCompact on that day.

The Berry bullet will go a bit slower than the lead ones will. I have data with other powders on the Berry 180, but none for Unique or Power Pistol. Still, like I said before, and like Spike reported from the Berry site... Midrange loads for 180grn bullets of other types will give you a good starting point for your loads. I hope you have a chronograph!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. Yosemite Sam

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks gents. I have been doing basically what you have suggested although I may be running a little hot. I have several books of load data but I am using the Lyman 49th ed. for these loads. Lyman tends to be very conservative. Spike, what load manual are you referring to? When crossreferencing for jacketed bullets I am finding a very wide range of data. I have seen max charges up to 7.0 for power pistol and 6.3 for Unique using a 180gr jacketed bullet. Yes, I have a Chrony but I hate the dang thing. A real pita. Lyman states that you should never use cases shorter than .845". All my fired cases are less than that. Is this a problem?

5. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    YOu are not going to find printed data for most lead or plated bullets. You need to find a jacketed bullet of sim. profile & wt & start there. Using starting jacketed data is a safe bet. Lacking anything specific, you can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets (like 180grlead bullet data for 170gr bullets).
    Like JSG, I also like Unique & WSF for the 40, especially w/ lead bullets. I max out @ 5.9gr under a 175grLRNFP @ 1.13" for just under 980fps. I have also used 6gr Unique under a 165gr Berry's @ 1.13" for 975fps, shoots tiny 1 1/2" offhand groups from my very finicky 4006.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. Yosemite Sam

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and use em. I suppose I'm gonna have to break out the chrony for this. ugh, I hate that thing.

Thanks again guys.

7. Ak Guy

Ak Guy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just last week I experimented w/ Berry's plated FP DS 180gr bullets, and Unique powder, looking for a USPSA Limited load using my XDm40. ("Chrony" chronograph). Here's my results:

4.4 gr = 850 fps
    4.6 gr = 895
    4.8 = 896
    5.0 = 934
    5.2 = 957
    5.8 = 1040
    6.0 = 1070
    6.2 = 1084
    Factory Rem UMC 180gr = 990

These seem pretty "rational" except for the 4.6 vs. 4.8 gr. .....not sure what happened there. (?) And they seem to be roughly in line w/ the previous responses.

I only need 917 fps for 165 power factor, so I think I'll use 5.0 gr for matches.

Hope this helps..........

8. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sometimes powders do not act in a linear fashion. If you retested on another day, you may see a slightly diff. result.

9. Yosemite Sam

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

It sure does. Thanks. Did you see any pressure problems crop up at those higher charges?

10. Ak Guy

Ak Guy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I didn't notice any pressure pbms, but I didn't LOOK for any either. So I guess the answer would be, "Nothing obvious".

11. JustSomeGuy

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes... I think what was happening here is that Unique was not "up to pressure" when the bullet started moving and all the powder was not burning. A few more .1's of a grain and it started burning more fully and producing more gas to propel the bullet.

12. ragsflh

ragsflh XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    i found that temp and humidity will have effects .

13. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    One thing using a chrono has taught me is powders work diff. & diff. pressures & in diff bore sizes. It's not odd to see a powder plateu & then go linear again. When you start adding powder & not getting linear vel. increases, it's worth noting. You may be increasing pressures w/ no vel. gain to go with it.
    BW AK, you'll likely find the sweet spot w/ the 180gr/Unique load around 5.6gr-5.8gr.

14. JustSomeGuy

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    We are of course speaking of loads in the low and mid-range here as far as spotty performance and non-linearity and mild increases returning to linearity. Some of this has to do with when the bullet starts moving out of the case and into the lands and the powder's burn rate. As you approach maximum this should be treated much more seriously and taken to heart. Pressures at or exceeding the maximum will BE non-linear and perhaps catastrophic! That is why there are maximums posted by the powder companies.

Again, I must agree with Fred except perhaps that a somewhat lighter 5.4 up to his 5.8 recommended load will include some very accurate loads which will duplicate and then most likely exceed the factory load velocities at safe pressures.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009