Beretta's New Military Rifle

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by atmiller, Dec 16, 2009.

1. atmiller

atmiller XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 2

From "The Shooting Wire"

Beretta Rolling Out New Military Rifle

The Italian Ministry of Defense has become the first military group to receive shipments of Beretta's new ARX-160 automatic rifle. The first 1,600 units have been delivered subsequent to the ARX-160's having been formally approved by the Italian Army in March.

[​IMG] Beretta's new ARX-160 automatic rifle with matching GLX 160 grenade launcher attached. The GLX 160 can be removed, attached to a second modular stock and used independently. You saw it here first.
    The rifle, featuring the modularity that has become a virtual requirement in most soldier of the future projects worldwide, has been kept quiet in this country, but was shown and ordered in the DESi 2009 in London. The rifle, along with its matching GLX 160 40mm Grenade Launcher, has also been delivered to Albanian Special Forces, with Mexico also being in line for the new 5.56 select-fire rifles.

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to fire a working prototype of the new ARX-160. I was impressed with the performance of this piston rifle and its unique features. First, I have to admit a bias- I love select-fire weapons systems and a system that is easily disassembled (and reassembled) in the field. This rifle can be broken down without any tools - and has no loose pins, springs or fasteners to be lost.

[​IMG] Quick change doesn't really do the system justice. This one could be called "fast change" - and needs no tools.
    Even more impressive - at least to me - Beretta's quick-change barrel system. Using two hands, again with no tools, a user can choose from several barrel options, make the change from short, -mid, to -precision length barrel, and be back in action in seconds.

The rifle's also built to quickly adjust to accommodate shooters. The collapsible and foldable stock features length of pull adjustments, magazine release, safety and charging handles are all reversible and selectable, and the rifle has the requisite left, right, top and bottom utility rails to handle virtually any piece of gear or optics system you'd like to attach.

If you've run the AR-style rifle, you'll find the ARX-160 different in some ways, but very familiar in others. There's a right (or left) side magazine release, along with a unique combination bolt and/or magazine release lever incorporated into the trigger guard. Since it runs using standard AR magazines, you'll also find it very similar there, too.

[​IMG] With the stock folded, the ARX-160 makes a very compact package. The rifle features sling mounts in no fewer than five potential locations.
    Shooting the rifle in the semi-auto mode, however, doesn't really feel like the AR. In the full-auto mode, it's nothing like a standard AR operating system. As with any piston system, the gas discharged by rounds is used to cycle the system instead of the system on standard ARs. It also means less felt recoil -and significantly lessened muzzle rise in full-auto fire. In short and sustained bursts, the rifle stayed on target, making it seem to be a likely candidate for any military or law enforcement unit.

This is by no means a full description of the rifle, but we wanted to let you know that other candidates as the replacement rifle for the venerable AR-style weapon system are out there.

As always, we'll keep you posted.

- Jim Shepherd

2. WitchingHour

WitchingHour XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Is it just me, or does it look a lot like the SCAR? And I'm guessing the grenade launcher is some variation of the AG36.
    Anyhow, I'm sure it'll prove to be a good weapons system. I just don't really see the DoD investing in it, considering there's already a fair degree of stock put into H&K and FN.

3. Metsin

Metsin XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw some documentary on the Military Channel some months ago that showed a small robot that looking like a little R2D2 that supposedly can fire a round and hit a target the size of a nickel at 300 meters.

Makes me wonder if we are seeing the last of human soldiers someday and that there is no need for a new rifle that would be used by humans.

4. JonXD

JonXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I was walking out of wally today and went by the mag stand and saw on the cover of one the mags "Beretta .223" or something. I had to do a double take however I could not read it I was in a hurry.

5. devilslayer

devilslayer XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cool facter is about zero

6. MagicMan

MagicMan XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like a SCAR.

7. devilslayer

devilslayer XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    looks very bulky

8. Ibasiuyac

Ibasiuyac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not really a fan of the SCAR so this Beretta isn't anything special to me. Looking forward to the release of the Bushy ACR though!!!

9. KingArthur

KingArthur XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    I was thinking the same thing.

10. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +730 / 33
    Now that is interesting...

11. xdfire

xdfire XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its funny that these new guns use M16 magazines, when the mags are one of the flaws of the M16 platform. Ive seen many guys tap rack bang over and over only to realize that the nose of a round has slipped over the mag lip slightly.

Anyways, it looks like the ACR, the SCAR, The Robarms thing, and everyy other space age gun out there. But, should be a good contender for a new battle rifle, seeing as how they have a contract for pistols on the books already.

12. WitchingHour

WitchingHour XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's poor construction of the magazines. STANAG 4179 (the M16 magazine) was proposed, but never actually adopted as standard. Thus, there are no universal quality controls, and many countries treat the magazines as an expendable, throwaway device, rather than as something which will be used time and time again. The UK was one of the worst for these with their SA80 mags, and one of the main things H&K did when they were called in to fix the flaws of the L85 was to redesign the 4179 magazine to a much higher standard. Many NATO (and a good number of non-NATO) countries (but not all) did adopt the M16 magazine or else adopted type compliant rifles. The current issue Italian rifle - the AR70/90 - also uses the magazine, and it's probably done just as much for the sake of not wanting to introduce a new type of magazine into the logistics system.

13. Metsin

Metsin XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm really serious though; I think "human" soldiers (at least on the front lines) will become a thing of the past soon, and that this realization impacts whether it's worth it to change rifles.

There are small robots, prototypes, that move on tracks and can fire and hit a nickel at 300 meters (I think while moving, even).

14. Ibasiuyac

Ibasiuyac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry but I totally disagree with your premise. Since the dawn of man the only thing that has changed for the boots on the ground is the type of weapon. There will always be a need for boots to take and hold ground. A robot, as advanced as it may be, lacks the sense and intuition of a true sldier/warrior.

15. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks very interesting to me. I like this style of carbine and this one sounds good. I think more of these types will keep showing up and hopefully help bring the price down.