Beretta 96 conversion to 9mm?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by KingAirDriver, Apr 22, 2008.

1. KingAirDriver

KingAirDriver XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I Googled and searched on Berettaforum, but came up with a zillion hits on everything but that of which I seek!!

I've got a Beretta 96FS Inox, and am looking to get a conversion to shoot 9mm. From what I gather, it's not simply a 92 barrel and 92 mags, but I'll have to buy the whole upper assembly? :confused: I read that springs, extractors, etc would have to be replaced?

Ultimately, what my goal is is to get a threaded 9mm barrel since KS just passed the bill allowing suppressors, heh heh heh.

I know we have some Beretta junkies here, so can someone point me in the right direction? I could just join the Beretta forum, but if my fellow XDTalkers know, then that's fine by me. ;)

2. Brian D.

Brian D. XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A catalog or two back, CDNN Sports, Inc. had conversion units for the Beretta 92/96 pistols.

EDIT TO ADD: A quick search of that link didn't show any in stock, but I did not bother to download the entire current catalog.

3. KingAirDriver

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Brian. Yeah, CDNN was one of the first places I looked. I browsed the entire catalog, but didn't find what I was looking for. Of course, the catalog is so huge that it's easy to miss stuff. ;)

4. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0
    Yes, from what I have read, you need the whole upper to convert from 40SW to 9mm but they slide right on without any smithing. You will also need 92 magazines as well. No biggie, becaue htey're everywhere and relatively cheap.

I looked at doing this, but stopped for a few reasons. First, the complete uppers (when I could find them on Gunbroker or at CDNN) ran about 200-250 bucks. Throw in shipping and the cost of a couple of mags and you're almost at 300 bucks for the conversion.

With all the decent police trade-in 92Fs out there at dealers (CDNN had them for around 289 at one time...so did Summit), for around 50 bucks difference between upper and whole pistol...you can buy the complete 92F and forget the conversion thingy altogether. Its simply not THAT much more expensive (way under 100 bucks if you look hard enough) to buy a complete 92FS than convert your 96F.

I know, I know...the conversion sounds cool but it does not make much economic sense. Now, if it was 200 dollars or more difference between conversion and whole pistol or if you could drop in a 80 dollar barrel and go, I'd be all for it but for maybe 50-100 bucks difference? I'd buy a whole 92FS an enjoy the two pistols as separate pieces.

I am considering buying one of the police trade-in 92Fs as well. They're really nice shooters and at pretty good prices if you look around. My cousin bought one and other than the holster wear, the thing looked pristine on the inside and was tight as it could be. He paid 300 cash at a gun show for the thing and it shot great with no problems.

...food for thought.

- Brickboy240

5. bountyhunter

bountyhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only top ends I have ever seen them or anybody offer was for the 96 guns. In other words, you could add a .40 top to your 9mm. I haven't seen any 9mm tops offered, but there may be some out there. It would probably be just as cheap to buy a used 92 because they are police issue which means you can find a lot of used ones with zero barrel wear, a little holster wear, and donut crumbs in the action.;)

6. bountyhunter

bountyhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beretta officially says the frames between the 92 and 96 are different (feed ramps cut in the frame). However, I fired .40 off my 92 frame no problem. Not sure if the reverse is 100% reliable.

The Beretta factory magazine shells are IDENTICAL between 9mm and .40, the followers are slightly different but everybody I know says that the FACTORY mags will fire either no problem. Aftermarket mags are not interchangeable, they use different mag shells and different spacing on the feed lips.

On the upside, FACTORY 10 round .40 mags can be used to shoot 9mm and will hold something like 14 rounds. Aftermarket 10 round .40 mags can be tweaked to hold 9mm but you have to bend the feed lips.

7. KingAirDriver

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah man, I hear you- I thought that same exact thing once I started researching all of this! I thought, "Hmm, don't I remember seeing some cheap police trade-ins???" I'm gonna keep my eyes open for that! ;)

8. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0
    CDNN in Abilene, TX had them in last month's catalogue. The used Beretta 92FSs went for 300 or maybe 319.95 if I can remember. Summit Gun Broker had some nice looking 92s that were around $325 or so, not that long ago. They're around...check Gunbroker as well, for a nice used 92FS - everytime I search their site for anything Beretta related, I get tons of pages.

I also know for a fact, that I could take 300 cash into any of our bigger gunshows and the chances of walking out with a nice used 92 Beretta for that cash would be very, very good. Maybe not a new one or a stainless or fancy model, but a basic 92FS with some honest wear can easily be had for around 300 bucks.

- Brickboy240