Belly holster or ankle holster for the xds?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by TLC, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TLC

TLC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've followed all the recent threads about various brands of IWB and OWB holsters. I'm primarily concerned with concealed carry wearing normal clothes. I really don't want to buy bigger pants ( or count on losing weight--lol)so I'm wondering if anyone has tried carrying the xds in a belly holster or ankle holster? If so, which brands and were there any drawbacks other than being slower to draw?

2. DJM_22

DJM_22 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as belly holsters go, I don't want my pistol pointing at my little friend, ever.

3. Enjoi829

Enjoi829 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 51
    I Would second that!

4. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +784 / 52
    Carrying the XDS in an ankle holster would be like taping a brick to your leg. I would carry it strong side on a belt.

5. MikeyLikesCarbonFiber

MikeyLikesCarbonFiber XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ankle holsters are useless ... Put on a pair of high socks and then place your pistol in it. Put on your pants and then see how long it takes and how awkward it is to draw your pistol from your ankle.

I bought a small universal holster from Tagua Gun Leather to CC my Ruger SR9c, which is much bigger then the XDs, and I didn't have to get bigger pants or lose weight. Just open the belt one notch and it fits perfect.
    http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/iwh-inside-the-waist-holster-p27

6. TLC

TLC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wondered whether it is too bulky to use an ankle holster in terms of whether it would feel secure and the bulk under the pant leg. I felt like it would be too much but most holster company websites have an ad that shows a semi-auto ankle holster for guns as large or larger than the xds.

With regard to the belly holster, I wouldn't plan on carrying it at 12 or even 1 (no pointing at the family jewels--it's impolite!) but more likely somewhere between 2-3 and using a cross draw technique. It could also be worn in the small of the back with just the tip of the barrell tucked in the pants. Having never had a "belly band" I wonder if they are too hot or if they tend to roll up when you sit down? Anyone out there with experience or are these things sold but not really used much?

I understand that having to untuck a shirt or loosen a button or two slows down the draw but my state (FL) doesn't allow open carry and in my line of work I have to wear my shirt tucked in so that limits my options if I'm going to carry on a regular basis. I'm open to any suggestions to make it work. I've thought about a pocket holster but would probably have to drop back to a .380 or 9mm to make that work. I tucked the xds in my pocket w/o a holster and its just too much bulk to be practical in dress slacks.

7. Rambos_Ride

Rambos_Ride XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK - whats the paranoia about carrying deep conceal in a foraward position with a XDS?

How could you possibly engage both the grip and trigger safety's with it in the holster?

If you did it drawing your weapon..ain't gonna matter much what position its in and you should get what you deserve for pulling the weapon with your finger on the trigger.

8. lfe136

lfe136 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    google MIC holster if you want to carry at 12...

9. weeds

weeds XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i would say keep your hands off it unless you are going to use it! *LOL*

10. weeds

weeds XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    +1
    yes i believe i would want my pistol accessible... even with my IWB it isnt accessible enough why would i want it on my ankle?

11. TLC

TLC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any paranoia about carrying at 12/forward position. I jokingly responded to a comment about it posted by DJM22. My real issue is that I have to keep my shirt tucked into dress slacks at work. Any holster that requires any part of the gun to be exposed won't work. And I'm in FL where it gets to 100 degrees with 95% humidity--jackets aren't an option for much of the year. That's why I'm asking about these other options--for use when I can't leave my shirt untucked or wear a jacket.

12. weeds

weeds XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    google smart-carry or thunderwear.... a good alternative...

13. dlcarr10

dlcarr10 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm having the same problem here in South Texas, what do you all wear when you have to wear khakis and a nice tucked in shirt. I have a normal build, not fat, stand at 5'9 around 170lbs.

14. Xdsguy

Xdsguy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a belly band and I use it with the my xds and its very good u can put it anywhere strong side,cross draw,forward,back,deep with pant line over gun,or up under ur arm like a shoulder holster the only down side is it. Wears out the more u use it so if u get 1 u Sud get 2 bands but Otha then that its 1 of the best slimmest holsters u can get IMO

15. dlcarr10

dlcarr10 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Belly Band, I think I'm going to order one!