Barrel won't get clean

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by Kooter67, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Kooter67

Kooter67 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After putting 50 rds through my new XD45 tactical, it doesn't seem like I am able to get the barrel clean.

I'll run two soaked patches through with Outers Nitro Solvent, bought a cleaning kit with the gun, then run the brass brush though it 5x each way, then run a couple patches through till there are clean.

Just to make sure I didn't miss anything I ran the brush through again with a little solvent on it and when I run patches though it again they keep coming out dirty.

Is this just because it's a new gun and the barrel just isn't broken in yet or am I taking off the finish/ pain on the inside?

2. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Don't think you want to be running the brush down BOTH ends of the barrel. Only in the the direction that the bullet travels. From the feed ramp end.

I only use a cheap pistol kit brush or the supplied brush and CLP. My barrels seem to get pretty clean.

3. NashvegasMatt

NashvegasMatt XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what did you shoot through it?

4. beretta40xdm

beretta40xdm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you ran lead bullets through it it may take a bit more cleaning.Some cleaners don't really cut into the residue and lead that is packed in the pores of the barrel so it takes more patches.
    I use nylon bore brushes and Hoppes #9 ,scrubing back and forth to loosen everything up.Then a couple wet patches till they come out clean,then the brush a couple more,and patches again.I do this until the first patch after brushing doesn't show black come out. there isn't any finish or paint in the bore.
    After starting to use lead exclussively I bought an Outers Foul Out III system,now when I clean the barrel I just put the rod down the bore and plug in.In 30min to 45min its as clean and sparkling as it possibly can be.You would be surprized at how much comes out with that system,even after cleaning with the chemicals beforhand.

Another thing that helps in most barrels is to hand polish it with a bore mop and metal polish.Run the soaked mop up and down the bore polishing it till it is as close to mirror as I can get it.Although you also don't want to overdo it either.Once the barrel is polished,it cleans and shoots better,especialy reducing leading issues.

5. XDMreg

XDMreg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For lead fouling I use Chore boy pure copper scrubbing pads wrapped around my bore brush. I cut a few strands of the copper pad wrap it around a old bore brush and run it thru the barrel. Works like a charm and it is only $3.00 for the pads at your local grocery store.

Chore Boy - Products

6. beretta40xdm

beretta40xdm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ya, I used tchore boy also ,and a Lewis Lead remover kit ,they get the barrels clean, but when you put the Foul Out in after those also, quite a bit still comes out. It gets every little bit out. It isn't necessary, but I did find that when the barrel is super clean, it takes quite a bit longer to foul up or get lead build up, then when there is even a few little spots here and there.

For the most part the chore boy is clean enough,I'm just more fussy,and like to "overclean".

7. Mike C

Mike C XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe the barrels clean and your just sticking a dirty brush in it. When you run the patchs thru your just getting the junk that was on the brush!

8. Bruce75

Bruce75 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always pull a bore snake through after everything else. Any fowling left can be easily seen. I have used J-B bore cleaning compound. The bore shines like a mirror.

9. banjun

banjun XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can remember when in my Marine Corps days we would go to the armory some times for days at a time. We would clean our rifle, his rifle, their rifle, every bodys rifle! And then the M60's and the 50 cals. We dreaded those days! The armorers were a pain the butt with a real attitude. You could clean a rifle forever and take it up to hand it in thru the iron bars to them and if they felt like it they just took one of those long Q-tips, put it in their mouth to get some spit on it, rub it in the chamber and instant dirt! The point is if you keep looking for dirt you can always find more. Happy cleaning!

10. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 1
    That was my first thought too ;)

11. wgedwards

wgedwards XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 ^^^

12. dmb

dmb XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. cbag

cbag XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I may be having the same problem with lead bullets. My seems to have build up only at the beginning of the barrel. the rest looks clean. I this typical with a lead bullet. I shot an XD 45 4". bullet was a Bitterroot Valley lead nose.