Barrel: to oil or not

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by sschrick, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So, after cleaning up the gun with Hoppe's #9 and then applying some oil to the slide, etc.. . .and the outside of the barrel, what are the final thoughts on oil inside the barrel. If I clean with hoppes and run patches through it until clean/dry, is that enough OR do I need to run a patch through the barrel with a few drops of oil on it. Should I only oil the inside of the barrel if I am putting the gun up for several months? Should I dry patch it before shooting?

2. vash_241987

vash_241987 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    YES!!!! oil the barrel, you really dont want rust to build up in there. If storing for a long time, some people use gun grease. For me, I oil any part that moves or comes in contact with other metal parts. For me I put 3-4 drops on a rage and run it through the barrel once making sure that the entire inside is oiled. I dont run a dry patch before shooting, it should be fine w/o doing that step as I have shot many time with the barrel lightly oiled inside.

3. Falcon31

Falcon31 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too put a thin coat of oil inside my barrel. No I dont run a dry patch threw it when i shoot. as long as you dont have a lot of oil in there. that first round will take care of that.

4. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +201 / 9
    Yup, run a wet patch through the barrel before putting it up in storage. Just run a dry patch through before shooting. Excess oil in the bore can cause excess chamber pressure.

5. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Ditto the above, but I do run a dry patch through the match grade rifle barrels before firing a few fouling rounds.

6. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I use a very light coat of EWL 2000. But I never run a dry patch through before I shoot. It's an XD after all. It goes bang either way.:D

7. Xtreme Man

Xtreme Man XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get yourself a spray can of Rem Oil. It is everywhere and it cleans, protects and lubes. Spray the barrel down, leave it lay for 30 minutes; then hit with a bore snake or copper brush aggressively. Then spray it again and run patches through until they are fairly white. Then, spray a tad on again and run another patch through and you are good to go.

Rem Oil is simple and one solution does it all. It may not be the best but it is good.

8. XDTA

XDTA XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Light oil in the barrel, match or not isn't going to harm anything. We are talking microns thick of oil in the barrel. That first round is going to either push or burn the residue right out of there. Plus the XD was built as a service weapon for the croatian military/police. Being prior military myself our weapons areextremly tough. I've fired my service M4 after being completly submerged in raw sewage (long story) with that crap (literally) dripping from the barrel, no problems. Im sure the croats have similar durability tests to ours, and the XD's should perform flawlessly either way.

9. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rem Oil isnt bad, but it doesnt clean all that great... better to use it after you use a good cleaner to get the fouling out first.

OP... I agree with the above posts, I run an oil soaked patch through the clean barrel and do a quick once over with a dry cloth to get off any excess.

10. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +733 / 33

ditto

11. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I use Rem Oil inside the barrel, Eezox on the outside. I used to use silicon cloths on the outside but it left a slick feel to it. The Eezox will dry, doesn't attract dust etc, doesn't show fingerprints and from the studies I have seen, is a superb rust inhibitor.

12. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Always put a light coat of oil in the barrel. Most of us who were in the military did as part of our job from 5.56mm to everything larger (including tanks & artillery). You learn that rather quickly in nasty tropical areas.

13. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After cleaning the bore, I apply Mobil 1 in it, patch to spread it evenly and that is it.

14. imwright1985

imwright1985 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I oil everything then when I go to take it out of storage I wipe it down with dry cloth and run a dry patch through it

15. libertad

libertad XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 1
    Interesting you say that... I work for a company that sells lubricants, cleaners, and such for industrial use. I have talked to some big time R&D chemists, and they swear by Mobil 1 for their car and Tide for their clothes. I trust their opinions, since we don't work for either Mobil or Procter and Gamble. Never thought to use M1 on my pistol, but I have some 5w20 in the garage that would do the trick! Do you use Mobil 1 on the other metal parts, or just the bore?