Bad Neighbor messing with my car.

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by akmjolnir, Jan 1, 2009.

1. akmjolnir

akmjolnir XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I live in what would be considered a normal college town. My apartment is part of a group of houses that surround a common parking lot with about 10+ spaces. None of the spots are labeled, and parking is included in the lease. The landlord provides free plowing when it snows. Basically you are allowed to park where you want. There is a general order to things and no one has had any trouble.

My troubles started at the beginning of November when I noticed that someone had jumped on the hood of my 1997 9000 Aero leaving some sizable dents. It was the weekend of the Keene Pumpkinfest, and I assumed that it was drunk college kids getting there rocks off. A short time later it looked like someone had puked on my back window (or a chipmunk melted all over it).

The kicker came yesterday. It had snowed about 8" and the landlord had plowed as much as he could, with most of the parking spots occupied by cars. I was dropped off at my apartment around 2pm from a friend who took me to get some coffee. I decided to move my car to an open, and plowed parking spot, so that the landlord could plow where I had previously parked when he came back. All was well.... New Years came and went. I was drunk and happy.

About 12:45 am I was outside smoking a cancer stick ( sometimes it just feels good with a beer... nm) when a neighbor who lives in a different building that shares the parking lot (all under the same landlord) came home and started screaming,

"Saab!! Move your ****ing car!"

I live in a 2nd floor apt. and poked my head out the stairwell window opening to see what he was yelling about. I asked him what his problem was and he said that it was his spot I parked in and that he was going to call the landlord and have it towed. He's only lived there a few months and obviously didn't read his lease. There are no assigned parking spots.. no names in the pavement, no signs, no numbers. It's free to the tenants.

Anyway, I tell him that I'm not moving my car because there's no assigned parking, and it's cold, and I'm drunk standing in my flipflops. He continues to scream out some garbage about how he plowed it, and how he works and I don't, and I don't deserve it. Wtf? For the record I'm back in school, currently on winter break, using my GI Bill smartly this semester. I don't have to work, and I don't feel bad for him if he does. (These last 4 months are the longest I've not worked since I was 16.)

I look out this morning and see that he hocked a big lunger on my driver's window. Nice... thanks.

I'm pretty much convinced that it's been the same jerk who's been messing with my car, and I'm fed up. I'm going to talk to my landlord about it when I drop off the rent check, however I'm this close to going over there.... which lies the problem. I hold several things very high: my family, the USMC, my 2A rights, and my car. I'd hate to go over there and have the situation turn sour, and end up flooring the jerk in his doorway, because that really wouldn't solve anything.

I really can't complain to the police because I can't prove anything. I'm pissed, and need some advice.

2. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Advice: Stop smoking. Don't drive drunk. Stop smoking. Get a PC camera and shoot it out your window and record stuff. Stop smoking. If it were my choice whether my kids shot up heroin or smoked, I'd have to give it some serious thought. :cool:

3. jfdavis58

jfdavis58 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Happy New Year!

4. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    can you set up a small video camera and or web cam aimed at your car to catch whoever has been vandalizing your car in the act? If so, get the proof you need to turn this over to your landlord or the police if needed. In the meantime I would let your landlord know you are having problems and you suspect (do not accuse) your neighbor. You never know..someone could be messing with his car and he may think it's you when it could be some random kids in your complex.

5. ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Catch him when he's outside of his apartment and explain things to him so he'll understand the rules, the rules about parking and the rules about messing with other people's property.

6. usmamg

usmamg XDTalk 50K Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Get a web cam and record to your pc hard drive. It will use alot of space so you will have to purge video from the "good nights". Also, how is the lighting in the parking lot?

7. toolboxluis

toolboxluis XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    video tape it and put it in you tube :)

8. akmjolnir

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    To be fair I wasn't driving anywhere last night. I had moved my car in the afternoon, well before any New Years drinking. But you're right about the smoking.

The camera is a good idea, but the lighting is nil at night, when this sort of thing seems to happen.

9. El Diucklo

El Diucklo XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    +1

10. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    I have found that the best way to deal with idiots is to deal with them harshly and swiftly. Never let stuff build up. The "Crazy neighbor" routine works very well.

A neighbor of mine, quite a few years back relocated for work and moved out and left his teenage kids to live there alone, under the supervision of their 18 year old, derelict, high school drop out son. They decided to have parties every night, shoot fireworks onto my roof at 3:00 a.m. in the morning, make pipe bombs, bonfires, etc., at all hours of the morning. Booze bottles in my yard every morning, etc. They even set my stockade fence on fire with old motor oil.

They caught me on the wrong night, one time. A friend dropped me off at home at 2:30 in the morning after a bachelor party for my best friend, when I was half loaded with Maker's Mark Bourbon Whiskey. I am a real prick when I drink whiskey. Anyhow, I came home to my wife upset and crying, my newborn son crying, and the a-holes stuck in my yard with a car buried to the axle, after they attempted a doughnut on my lawn. Wife called the Sheriff, and they told her that "all units were tied up".

Anyhow, when I got home, I dealt with it. Harshly and swiftly. Without getting into details. They never had a party again, they never drove that car again, and they never looked in my general direction again, except maybe to say "Hello, sir".

The last time the neighbor's house went up for sale, I made sure that EVERY time they showed the house or had an open-house, I mowed the lawn and open-carried. Ted Nugent stickers all over my car. NRA bumper stickers on the old Jeep. All very friendly, but I wanted them to know what they were dealing with. When someone finally bought it, the first thing that rolled off the moving truck was the guy's 1000 pound gun safe. We get along marvelous, and it is the best neighborly relationship I have ever had. I would do anything to help him, and likewise for me. An armed society is a polite society.

11. lobster_roboto

lobster_roboto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0

Choose one:
    Retaliatory post #1
    Why?
    Because it's bad? Really, I had no idea and neither does anyone else!! thanks for that input! Now we all know and will immediately quit because it's bad for me... I'll also

Because it's expensive? Really, I had no idea it was so expensive and I forget that others dictate how people spend their money!

Because you don't like it? OH SNAP! I better stop doing something I enjoy right away!

The only somewhat viable excuse you have to be a dbag and dictate how others live their lives is the litter and second hand smoke. With that I'll agree with. Keep in mind that some people such as myself, don't smoke in the car or even restaurants and at work smoke in the cold little area with the ash tray 100 feet from the door that arrogant dbags have no reason to go near.

You are one of the many reasons why I don't like the majority of people, because your type likes to wiggle their way into peoples lives and vomit their opinions like law.

Not once have I ever told someone to quit or do something that I didn't agree with... What I have done is use some tact.

Next time, if you must try asking someone to conform to your belief system instead of assaulting them with demands.

Retaliatory post #2

Advice: keep your opinion to yourself (see what I mean) or if you must phrase your demands to something that's a little less arrogant.

I'm planning on quitting on the 5th which I have already made great progress and am down to about 3 smokes a day.... but when people like you say crap like that it really makes me spiteful and you don't help the cause.

/end threadjack

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Advice: Stop smoking, wait until it is 20 degrees out and pour a bucket of water over his car, Stop smoking, wait 20 minutes and pour another bucket of water over his car, Stop smoking, repeat bucket of water thing 5 or 6 times until you get a 1 or 2 inch layer of ice. Stop smoking, the ice won't damage anything but isn't very pleasant to deal with.:cool:

13. Sharkbait

Sharkbait XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I sincerely wish you the best of luck, my dad didn't decide to quit until he was dying of emphysema.

14. lobster_roboto

lobster_roboto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I appreciate it... as you may of noticed I'm a bit on edge at the moment... the 5th is the day that I quit completely I went from a pack and a half a day to 3 smokes a day about two weeks ago so I'm a little pissy all the time.

15. akmjolnir

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    <table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">Keyed my car.

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

Spit on my window.

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

Offender's car. (Tried blocking me in or something.)

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

Connecticut asshat. Why do all these pricks come to my state?
    <table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_4" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>